NFL The Best QB of All Time: Poll

Who is the Best NFL QB of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an extract from SI.com's Jon Wertheim book. This part questions whether D really wins Championships...

BTW was the Saints D that great when they won the SB?

When it comes to winning championships – or winning in general, for that matter – defense and offense carry uncannily similar weight. Among the 49 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team, measured by points allowed that season, has won 30 times. The better offensive team has won 25 times. It’s a slight edge to defense, but it’s a pretty close call, and not different from random chance. The Super Bowl champ has been a top-five defensive team during the regular season on 31 occasions. How many times was the Super Bowl champ ranked among the top five in offense? 27. Damn near even.

But we’re talking about only 49 games, so let’s broaden the sample size. There have been 462 NFL playoff games held over the last 49 seasons. The better defensive teams have won 58 percent of the time. The better offensive teams have won 62 percent of the time. Slight edge to the offense, but, again, pretty even. (Sometimes the winning team is better both offensively and defensively, which explains why the total exceeds 100 percent.)

Collectively, teams with a top-five defense have won 180 playoff games. Teams with a top-five offense have won 184 games. Accounting for almost 10,000 regular season games, the better defensive team has won 66.5 percent of the time compared to 67.4 percent of the time for the better offensive team. Again, a negligible difference.

What happens when the best offenses line up against the best defenses, if, say, the 2006 Indianapolis Colts had had to face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens? It turns out that 27 Super Bowls have pitted a top-five offense against a top-five defense. The best offensive team won 13 and the best defensive team 14. Another virtual stalemate.

Anyone who has Marino as their #1 best ever QB is alright in my books.
Why are you posting as if you still have power here?

maxresdefault.jpg

;):p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I underrate Elway because I try not to be biased. His stats aren't great but when I watch him I can easily see myself ranking him 4th ahead of Montana/Brady. He is equal with them tho in that tier
Your Broncos bias is clouding your judgement.

Back