The biggest hits and bumps in AFL is nothing to be proud of.

Remove this Banner Ad

If they want to show hardness and toughness, show Farren Ray v Joel Selwood where they both went head on the turned charging full pace for the footy and selwood unluckily bounced off second best with blood pissing out his mouth - that stuff is tough, players genuinely going for the ball without regard for safety and taking a backward step

Yeah, but the players going for the ball, knowing they were going to cop a whack WERE pretty hard.

e.g. Key forwards going for a mark knowing they were likely to be 'made to earn it' by getting a punch in the back of the head and still focusing on taking the mark is pretty tough....NOT so much the guy doing the punching.

Some dished it out and took it, others just took it. It’s still a hard game today (see above post re Selwood) but we do see more sitting off a contest and the worst is the mouthy little pricks who hide behind the safety of video review. I much prefer the game without the snipers tbh, but can’t say I shed a tear when Scarlett dropped Ballantyne.

As for the OP, they were talking to an MMA fighter. Of course they wanted our game to look tough.

If they want to show hardness and toughness, show Farren Ray v Joel Selwood where they both went head on the turned charging full pace for the footy and selwood unluckily bounced off second best with blood pissing out his mouth - that stuff is tough, players genuinely going for the ball without regard for safety and taking a backward step
Round 1 2011....Remember it well, I actually looked at Ray a bit different after that, always perceived him to be a little soft, but that incident proved me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back