Opinion The Booing of Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not traditionally a boo’er, but seriously I was angry hurt and upset that red rooster had over cooked my chicken strips, the umpires sucked oh and yeah we lost. Seriously emotions were at a fever pitch at that stage and I will put my hand up and say I Boo’ed at the final siren. However I was making my way down the stairs before Pendlebury took the stage but I’m sure I would have boo’ed that too I was soo angry... in fact I was so angry that would have boo’ed the purple wiggle falling asleep mid concert. I thought the Boo’s got Louder when the Collingwood chant started not due to him winning the medal. I could be wrong of course and usually am but I am also one who believes these guys are very highly paid professionals and it’s part of workplace environment, also fee paying fans have the right to express themselves in a manner they choose as long as it’s not vulgar, racist, sexist, or any other ist! To me booing is childish and I’m not angry with myself (just disappointed) but seriously I just can’t get my head around the outrage when it comes to booing. One thing I know for sure if your offended by booing don’t listen into the stump mics at the Cricket... or come and stand with me in the slips on a Saturday arvo during summer that’s for sure. 😂

Last edited:

This issue will grow legs so thought I’d start a thread.

Did you boo or did you restrain yourself? Why/why not?

I’m not a ‘booer’ as a rule but I wasn’t sure how to express my annoyance as the siren went. I wanted to let those officiating know that their performance was substandard. But I restrained myself when the presentations started. I reckon there is a real lack of insight from supporters to amp it up when Pendles got the medal. It’s an emotional game and this stuff will inevitably surface but in a calmer reflective hindsight I’m sure many would see their booing as highly disrespectful on such a privileged stage.

There’s no doubt that if the umpiring weren’t a factor there would’ve been next to no booing. I think this is something that the general public should take into account... but probably won’t...
I boo my ass off as it cuts both ways.
Celebrate when win and be jovial.
Boo or whatever you want to do to vent your frustrations and keep it legal.
Booing never hurt a persons feelings, only the Booers throat.

I do not understand the moralising about booing. It’s always been a part of the game and a great part at that, an outpour of negative emotion because the game means so much to so many. There have been a few issues of the last few years where it’s been weaponised stupidly against Goodes and Watson, but all game related booing is part and parcel of the colour of the crowd.

I didn’t boo, but I never do anyway. The people around me were all yelling about umpires, then they’re booing every decision and nondecision in the last quarter. Then they booed through the Collingwood song and we could barely hear it. Then Hamish McLachlan got up and they booed. And then Pendlebury got up and they booed. And then the trophy presentation and they booed so loud I don’t even know who was at the microphone at that point and couldn’t hear what they were saying.

We didn’t lose this game from umpiring. But it sure made it a hell of a lot more frustrating to watch.

Not sure what part of that was about Pendlebury in any specific sense, at least not around where I was sitting.

gold... the booo is back

if umpires are gona ruin games.. then * it...boo everything.

Umpires had well and truly departed. Pendles copped the brunt of it. I know it was a flow-on from the umpiring but it wasn’t our best moment as a collective.

yes it was...Ienjoyed it. better than sitting through the usual bullshit same old speeches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember booing Goodes years before the nonsense came up. He was booed because he was a sniping scumbag.
In 2009 or whenever that was, sure. Let’s not pretend the 2013-15 stuff didn’t take on a whole other dimension though. It became targeted and weekly, no matter how Goodes played or whether he sniped or not.

It was ugly and deserved to be called out as such.

In 2009 or whenever that was, sure. Let’s not pretend the 2013-15 stuff didn’t take on a whole other dimension though. It became targeted and weekly, no matter how Goodes played or whether he sniped or not.

It was ugly and deserved to be called out as such.
It became targeted and weekly for a long list of reasons, not solely because of the one reason which most push. Irrespective, he asked people to stop and they didn't, which I'd put down to bullying - but this is another conversation entirely.

It became targeted and weekly for a long list of reasons, not solely because of the one reason which most push. Irrespective, he asked people to stop and they didn't, which I'd put down to bullying - but this is another conversation entirely.
A lot of it was racism, I have zero doubt in my mind.

Some of it, not a lot of it. I believe the main thing was when people where told not to do something it made them want to do it more.
Which is still boorish in the extreme. Goodes basically pleaded for it to stop, said it was hurting him and what was the response? It ramped up.

No matter what the motivation was in people’s heads, it became tantamount to bullying after a while.

Which is still boorish in the extreme. Goodes basically pleaded for it to stop, said it was hurting him and what was the response? It ramped up.

No matter what the motivation was in people’s heads, it became tantamount to bullying after a while.

Trying to attribute one motivation to why a mob of people do something is foolish to the extreme.
Some people booed due to his onfield stuff, some people booed because he was black, others because he asked them not to, some due to being called racist, some because the person next to them booed.

Same with yesterday. Some booed pendles, other booed the result, others booed pies, others booed the AFL, others because others were etc etc

The only thing you can take away from any of this should be the default position on most large groups of people and hell people in general-

- People are not smart, especially football fans. In fact the larger the crowd usually the stupider the mobs actions become
- People are incapable of handling their emotions 94% of the time.
- People are sheep and want to belong to a group
- People by in large do not care about your feelings. They care for themselves.

I'm not surprised by yesterday, and I'm not surprised by the reaction to it.

The saddest thing about all this is the people with the control over the narrative could focus on the great game and celebrate it and ignore the aftermath, but are unable to.

I booed. Loud and proud from final siren until Nafan Bloodwiping Buckley got done with his hypocritical moralising.

**** this result. It was a dirty, rotten fix that I didn’t have the right to ignore.

As far as I’m concerned, being a supporter of any sports team means not caring what others outside your borders think. I don’t pay hundreds of dollars in membership and invest untold amounts of mental anguish into this club every year to have to worry about the fee-fees of our enemies. Besides, I seriously doubt Scotty’s at home with his ill-gotten medal around his neck crying his poor little eyes out because some people made a noise.

Apologise? Miss me with that s**t. I’ll apologise when the AFL and their attack dog umpires apologise to us, admit their cheating and declare the match no result. Until then, they can go to hell.

+1. Could not give a * what anyone wants to say about how I support my team. Will never jump of the boat win, lose, boo, or PEDs. * every other campaigner who wants to tell us how to support our team.

Also there's nothing surer now tjat this is in the news that pendlebury gets booed everytime he touches it next time we play the pies.

Some of it, not a lot of it. I believe the main thing was when people where told not to do something it made them want to do it more.
So, at the very least it was culturally insensitive. If you know it’s being perceived as racism then you’re contributing to the flaming of that perception by becoming a part of a mob that no doubt included racist opportunists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back