Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials * Justice Lee - "Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins."

How long will the jury be out for?

• Back the same afternoon

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • One day

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Two days

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Three to five days

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Over a week

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Last edited:
“I’ve always been of the view we need an Australian Law Reform Commission inquiry into defamation just to completely scrap it and start again. I think that that’s needed.”
As Justice Lee inferred in the trial (in reference to Higgins going to the media instead of the police), everybody keeps complaining about the legal system and nobody's come up with a better alternative.

The burden of proof is on the defendant in Australia and the UK.

The burden of proof however is on the plaintiff in the USA, but based on my extensive knowledge of that civil system, being the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp Trial of the Century, the process is no less rigorous or expensive to any party.

So what's the alternative to the alternative? Yet another kneejerk attempt to completely overhaul the legal system like in the ACT?

Last edited:

'Following a complaint last June to ACT Policing, which operates under the umbrella of the AFP, officers determined there was no clear criminal behaviour that would prompt an investigation into whether someone had committed contempt of court by passing confidential information to the media.'

'In a statement earlier this month, an ACT Policing spokesperson said the force had not investigated the complaint.'

What a surprise!!

Explosion Reaction GIF

But then.....

Sources familiar with the matter, who asked to remain anonymous as they were not authorised to speak publicly, said officers DID refer the leak to the anti-corruption commission in November to determine whether any AFP officers were involved.
The Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity, a watchdog tasked with detecting corruption in federal agencies including the AFP, confirmed last year that it would investigate how Higgins’ private diaries and text messages were leaked to the media despite not being tendered in evidence to court.

The watchdog’s then-executive director of operations, Peter Ratcliffe, said in an email seen and reported on by this masthead last April that it was investigating the “potential leaking of documents and photos by AFP members to the media”, following a complaint from Higgins’ lawyer Leon Zwier. The watchdog has since been folded into the anti-corruption commission.

The commission said in a statement on Thursday that investigations the integrity watchdog had started but not completed by July 1 last year “are now continued by the commission”.

Reckon the odds of this investigation of who leaked Ms Higgins confidential information provided to the AFP to the media ending in yet another dead end are unbackable.

But yeah - 'justice'.

Last edited:

This is not going to have a happy ending.

And this bit.....

Mr Jackson (Seven West Media) , who has recently been appointed as the NSW Police commissioner Karen Webb’s new spin doctor, suggested to the employee at the time the masseuse be paid “a bonus” of $250 to facilitate the different payment method.

WTAF??

Amazing how often in corporate world that their corp cards get used like this by staff. Why anyone thinks that a Thai massage is a legit business expense is beyond me. Getting counselled rather than sacked seems pretty lenient as well.
Lehmann seems to have access to enough funds to survive comfortably even without working for a good while.
If Lehmann loses this case and no one stumps up the cash for an appeal wonder how quickly Channel 7 will dump him ?

Free apartment, free happy endings, free lawyers, who the * is this guy...like for real? Is he like our Epstein or something that we need to keep paying to keep secrets?

'Two Thai masseuses were booked – one for Mr Lehrmann and another for a Seven employee'

'Mr Lehrmann has told The Australian newspaper that he was in Sydney and did meet with Seven producers on the night in question, but insisted any suggestion be got a massage was “untrue.”'

I guess that if the services were more of a sexual services nature than a massage, Lehrmann might argue that he did not receive a massage.

For all we know, the two masseuses booked might have only ever provided services to a Seven employee, and Lehrmann is going to sue news.com.au and/or Seven, for defamation (again) over this claim.

Last edited:
There is another case in NSW of a different nature but the carnage has been enormous.

Yep! It's a train wreck.

Some of the smarter legal eagles like Justice Lee and Chrysanthou will emerge just fine, but it's negatively impacted almost everyone who's come in contact with the story.

And the kicker is that almost all of the people or entities impacted were doing things that they thought had good intent behind their actions (and almost all did IMHO).

Paul Barry has kept the ABC's Media Watch largely out of the Bruce Lehrmann clusterfeck legal saga, obviously preferring to wait until the dust finally settles on legal action and some skerrick of what is real and what is not emerges.

The latest Channel 7/Lehrmann revelations and the shocking irony of how (if true) paid sex workers may have been used as leverage to finalise negotiations with an alleged multiple rapist's paid interview with Kerry Stokes' media empire is too big to ignore.

And a reminder that Channel 7 originally claimed they did not pay for their Lehrmann interview. We now know the Seven Network agreed to pay over $100k for Lehrmann to rent an apartment on Sydney's Beaches and $2950 paid in one night for Lehrmann including the $1000 massage.

Why?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The case marks the first time in Australian legal history that a de facto sexual assault trial – involving Ten seeking to prove on the balance of probabilities that Lehrmann raped his then-colleague Brittany Higgins in 2019 – has been streamed on YouTube.

Should Lehrmann win the case, damages for non-economic loss in defamation cases are capped at $459,000, a figure that is increased annually. Lawyers for Ten and Wilkinson have argued this may be a case warranting an award of zero or nominal damages if their defences fail but the judge also finds Lehrmann lied in his evidence.

Experts differ on whether zero, as opposed to nominal, damages may be awarded to a successful defamation claimant.

Bosland said this question “highlights the problems that we have with defamation law doctrinally”.

“I’ve always been of the view we need an Australian Law Reform Commission inquiry into defamation just to completely scrap it and start again. I think that that’s needed.”

Bravo to that. Australia's defamation laws are biased in favour of the litigant - almost always someone in a position of power or with substantial financial backing, requiring the defendant prove they did not defame. Which is not only out of kilter with the 'presumption of innocence' basis of our justice system but out of kilter with defamation law in most other western jurisdictions.

I would think Chhannel 10 and Wilkinson would be “in a position of power or with substantial financial backing” as well?

Paul Barry has kept the ABC's Media Watch largely out of the Bruce Lehrmann clusterfeck legal saga, obviously preferring to wait until the dust finally settles on legal action and some skerrick of what is real and what is not emerges.

The latest Channel 7/Lehrmann revelations and the shocking irony of how (if true) paid sex workers may have been used as leverage to finalise negotiations with an alleged multiple rapist's paid interview with Kerry Stokes' media empire is too big to ignore.

And a reminder that Channel 7 originally claimed they did not pay for their Lehrmann interview. We now know the Seven Network agreed to pay over $100k for Lehrmann to rent an apartment on Sydney's Beaches and $2950 paid in one night for Lehrmann including the $1000 massage.

Why?

Great to see that magically Paul has morphed to Bruce :)

Would have been nice to have been informed, not my fault he was misnamed; could have been a relation for all I know.

You know the post has been edited because you responded to it. Since the original post has been corrected, anything else flowing on from that is now not going to make sense to anybody else.

And the kicker is that almost all of the people or entities impacted were doing things that they thought had good intent behind their actions (and almost all did IMHO)

What fanciful BS. Has been a morass of cover ups and lies from Day One.

Channel 7 trying to reverse the credit card payments for the Thai massages to get them off the books and offer a bonus for cash instead being the latest cover up attempt.

Last edited:
What fanciful BS. Has been a morass of cover ups and lies from Day One.

Channel 7 trying to reverse the credit card payments for the Thai massages to get them off the books and offer a bonus for cash instead being the latest cover up attempt.
The key word there Festerz, is almost!

I wouldn't say that anyone associated Chanel 7 had anything on their mind other than ratings and did some old school s**t to get Bruce's signature. Coupled with a very strict clause not to mention the Toowoomba allegations.

I think The Project and Wilkinson has been found out horribly in respect to the 'obstruction of justice' claims and some very dodgy journalistic practices, but the general gist of them 'doing good' is there.

Maiden and the Press Club all trying to do good, but coughing up money in the process.

Brown and Reynolds made errors, but there was no obstruction of justice and the general intent was good. “And this is the cover-up where everyone wanted to tell the police.”

I have empathy for Drumgold as he bowed to political pressure to prosecute, despite his Detective Superintendent (Moller) recommending against a criminal prosecution.

ScoMo's ill thought out apology was a train wreck.

Despite the fact that I don't agree with Higgins' choice not to give the legal system a proper chance and that a lot of the obstruction of justice claims are at best "embellished", I don't doubt that she wanted to change the system positively.

Sharaz and Gallagher can get in the same bin as Chanel 7. Don't think they had anything other than political motives (potentially dollars for DS).

The AFP have unfairly been thrown under a bus. As too the poor security guards.

Last edited:
Author and columnist Peter FitzSimons has asked the Federal Court to order Bruce Lehrmann to pay his costs of producing documents during the former Liberal staffer’s high-stakes defamation case against Network Ten and Lisa Wilkinson.

The application, filed on March 14 and released by the court on Tuesday, will be determined at the same time as Justice Michael Lee deals with the legal costs of the proceedings generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back