Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how you view it, without Fitzy there they probably wouldn’t have had any penalty. They got off lightly with their concessions after being found guilty, but Andy D would have swept the whole thing under the rug. IMO Fitzy at least got something through to get them
Hadn't thought of it like that. Not convinced, not dismissing it as a possibility.

Either way, we can wholeheartedly agree they did get off very lightly.

Mitch Robinson left in controversial circumstances but in his three years at Brisbane, appears to have pulled his head in and has focussed on being a solid contributor every week.

Now I'm not one to get into the "deserves a second chance" argument but you could mount a case to suggest he may be an ideal option in our midfield right now given his kamikaze attack on the ball. Added to that, he is not shy when it comes to standing up for his teammates either.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...s/news-story/752c43c07c7b1ee51ed3865209966c29

Mitch Robinson left in controversial circumstances but in his three years at Brisbane, appears to have pulled his head in and has focussed on being a solid contributor every week.

Now I'm not one to get into the "deserves a second chance" argument but you could mount a case to suggest he may be an ideal option in our midfield right now given his kamikaze attack on the ball. Added to that, he is not shy when it comes to standing up for his teammates either.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...s/news-story/752c43c07c7b1ee51ed3865209966c29

He was the hard nut we needed and would probably be great out on the field to make our young blokes walk taller, unfortunately for Mitch his shenanigans came at a time where the club had had enough of the bad publicity and I'm pretty sure he used up more than a second chance.
I didn't mind him as a player, tough, hard and plays with heart, his kicking got better over time, he also towels us up every time he comes up against us.

Has the required amount of mongrel, unfortunately not a very smart footballer.

He would be good now, reckon we have plenty that will/would have gone past him in the next 6-18 months.

Not sure if right thread mods

But I’m extremely mad about ceo’s Comments this year of don’t judge us on wins and losses ..
Like don’t set too high a bar now blues !
Pathetic !

But I’m extremely mad about ceo’s Comments this year of don’t judge us on wins and losses ..
Pathetic !
Then you'll be furious about Bolton and SOS making such comments first

Probably trying to head off the lazy journalists who will be asking what the pass mark is and banging on about it before the season even starts.

Probably trying to head off the lazy journalists who will be asking what the pass mark is and banging on about it before the season even starts.
You're not wrong. I mean, check out the Herald Sun SuperFooty & SEN Theme Song:

Pathetic !

We built a culture of demanding finals and premierships for 100+ years ..... killed that in a blink of eye. Good luck getting it back!!

Pathetic !

I'd largely agree with you if that was the message the club upheld internally, but it's just not the case.

The message from within would be different....very different.
It would certainly be one of empowerment, as against resignation.

Normally, I detest what's being cast out to the media, but I sort of understand it right now. Doesn't make sense, yet it does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres no point raging against reality. We suck. We didnt recruit well enough to not suck this year. Two of our best 5 from last year won't be playing for us this year, and the kids are still developing. Only luck kept us from the spoon last year. Only luck will keep us from it this year.
And here I was thinking it was because we won more games than the 2 teams below us, including breaking a 12 year drought against the Hawks & beating 3 finalists.

Last edited:
And hear I was thinking it was because we won more games than the 2 teams below us, including breaking a 12 year drought against the Hawks & beating 3 finalists.
And we got beaten by both teams below us.

We worked hard, we improved, our kids showed some great signs, and we were lucky not to finish last.

Yeah as exciting as players like Curnow, Marchbank, Fisher and Dow etc are and how good we think they will be, it's still a while away from them taking over games and being able to be relied upon for long stretches of season.

Still I'm optimisticly hoping for 8 wins and continues improvement

I'd largely agree with you if that was the message the club upheld internally, but it's just not the case.

The message from within would be different....very different.
It would certainly be one of empowerment, as against resignation.

Normally, I detest what's being cast out to the media, but I sort of understand it right now. Doesn't make sense, yet it does.
Are you suggesting that they'll be playing towards a number, internally?

Theres no point raging against reality. We suck. We didnt recruit well enough to not suck this year. Two of our best 5 from last year won't be playing for us this year, and the kids are still developing. Only luck kept us from the spoon last year. Only luck will keep us from it this year.

Luck works both ways. The last 2 premiership teams had a lot to do with luck. Luck through injuries, fixtures. The bye before the finals help the Dogs get a team back on the track and upset the WCE form. Richmond had very few injuries and were able to keep a consistent team on the field.

We lost Cripps, and Ed in a shallow midfield for the back half of the year. If we can keep a fairly consistent side on the field we should stay off the bottom.

Are you suggesting that they'll be playing towards a number, internally?
I reckon there is definitely a matrix in which a certain number of wins will sit alongside these goals:
- supporter engagement
- players development
- sponsors $
- Coteries happy
- draft place
- up and coming team attractive to trade suitors

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd imagine the club has targets for most aspects of its operations, including on-field. But internal expectations and external ones are (and should be) treated differently.
No problem with that, I'd just be surprised if they were chasing a number of wins.

How do you factor things in like injury etc, this far in advance?

There'd be plenty of KPI's expected out of the players, I just don't see Bolton demanding 8 wins (for instance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back