Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

While i acknowledge Garlett's efforts have been s**t in the past I'm with Tulip on this, all you're doing right now is hurting the team by keeping him out of the side,if you had trust issues with him you should have released him preseason.

To bring Lewis straight back into a side struggling for leg speed while having Garlett sit in the reserves when we lack crumbers is all sorts of ridiculous.

Goodwin is getting what he deserves for dumb moves such as this at the selection table.

Not only that but why is Garlett held to one standard but Oliver and Brayshaw are allowed to just walk when they don't have the ball. Seriously watch them next time there's a turnover. They walk a small strip down the middle of the MCG up an back.

Last edited:
I was laughing at us in that 3rd quarter, everytime the saints got the ball in the back half they would hold. Then switch and they got the overlap without every trying every time. We didn't hold them up once. It was about as embarassing as defending gets
The two women sitting in front of Gysberts2Bate and I in the second half looked genuinely traumatised at how often I was yelling about it. And I thought I was behaving well in the circumstances.

The two women sitting in front of Gysberts2Bate and I in the second half looked genuinely traumatised at how often I was yelling about it. And I thought I was behaving well in the circumstances.

It literally had the feel of them giving up. Like after the saints got a couple there was a 'what's the point' vibe about running defensively.

I was laughing at us in that 3rd quarter, everytime the saints got the ball in the back half they would hold. Then switch and they got the overlap without every trying every time. We didn't hold them up once. It was about as embarassing as defending gets

There was one particular play that I’d love to see down the ground footage of. The saints switched to the southern stand side they were just back of centre wing. And there was one Melbourne going to man the mark, Viney then also committed to the mark the man and left his man free. So we had two blokes on the mark and then it created the perfect over lap for the saints.

The herald sun reported yesterday the saints scored 8 goals from scoring chains that started in our forward line. So 8 times they took the ball from our 50 to their 50 scored all without us evening touching the ball again.

And we are debating about whether we should of kept Bugg and Tyson.

There was one particular play that I’d love to see down the ground footage of. The saints switched to the southern stand side they were just back of centre wing. And there was one Melbourne going to man the mark, Viney then also committed to the mark the man and left his man free. So we had two blokes on the mark and then it created the perfect over lap for the saints.

The herald sun reported yesterday the saints scored 8 goals from scoring chains that started in our forward line. So 8 times they took the ball from our 50 to their 50 scored all without us evening touching the ball again.

We also conceded 8 of those goals against the bombers aswell. Viney is a dumb dumb footballer. He's exactly like a dog. He's great to unleash at times but it feels like someone needs to whistle at him and tell him what to do

We also conceded 8 of those goals against the bombers aswell. Viney is a dumb dumb footballer. He's exactly like a dog. He's great to unleash at times but it feels like someone needs to whistle at him and tell him what to do

Also there were several other players who were just as guilty as Viney but that was a glaring example.

Our mids are all natural ball hunters, Which leave us very vulnerable at stoppages or congested areas when we don’t win the footy.

Lol, what were you cautioning (the extension, I assume) and what went wrong (who the **** knows), and are they related in any way?

I said and Tulip agreed that from a business perspective, it made no ******* sense to extend him for 4 years. He was already contracted to the end of 20, He has had one good season and 2 mediocre ones. No one was gonna steal him, why would they?

Easily could have waited till the end of the season or had he been 7-0 early into this season. But if he continues with this stinker and then next year starts the same, we face the prospect of paying out 2 years which is im guessing close to a million dollars.

Plan for the worst hope for the best, we have completely ****ed ourselves in the event it goes to s**t.

I said and Tulip agreed that from a business perspective, it made no ******* sense to extend him for 4 years. He was already contracted to the end of 20, He has had one good season and 2 mediocre ones. No one was gonna steal him, why would they?

Easily could have waited till the end of the season or had he been 7-0 early into this season. But if he continues with this stinker and then next year starts the same, we face the prospect of paying out 2 years which is im guessing close to a million dollars.

Plan for the worst hope for the best, we have completely ****** ourselves in the event it goes to s**t.

I agree the extension was a bit long but he wasn’t already contracted till 2020, he was OOC this year. It was also a 3 year extension not 4.

I agree the extension was a bit long but he wasn’t already contracted till 2020, he was OOC this year. It was also a 3 year extension not 4.

Fair enough should have checked. Then we could easily have given him an extension to the end of 2020 with an optional extension of 2 if he makes finals both this year and next.

**** me dead that's bleak. I reckon not being able to bring blokes from behind the contest as often is killing us

2018 2019
View attachment 659551

Oh boy. Doesn't even have anything on tackles, kicking efficiency or scores against per inside 50 conceded and its still ugly reading.

A stoppage/contested teams highest ranking is ninth in those categories, for all the s**t we are giving to our forwards and backs that is just embarrassing.

Tough around the contest my arse, bunch of pretenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost my mind when that happened. I believe it was Spargo who was already on the man Viney committed to. Such dumb play.

Oh boy. Doesn't even have anything on tackles, kicking efficiency or scores against per inside 50 conceded and its still ugly reading.

Just at a glance we are
16th for tackles

We rank 18th for goals conceded per inside 50 at 3.3
Carlton concede a goal every 5.2

Geelong who are #1 conceded one every 6.2 inside 50s

WE ARE AVERAGING 12 LESS REBOUNDS THAN OUR OPPONENTS, DESPITE AVERAGING 7 MORE INSIDE 50S *kkkkkkkk

Crazy stat I found
On average we get tackled 72 times per game
Eagles, Magpies, Giants and Lions are ~48

So basically we are way too ******* close to each other all the time.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if those bad seasons the tigers had (2016?) and the pies had (2014-2017) were ever as bad as this one has been for us?

He needs to make some tough decisions at the end of the year, we need to make a lot of changes if we are going to improve next year.

Get runners in, small forwards and some guys off half back with for skills.

Look to the state leagues, if there is ever a time in football where state league players have shown the can come im and make an immediate impact its now.

He cant keep persisting with the list we have or the gameplan.

Reckon last year at this same point i posted the club should just fold so i dont have to follow them anymore. Its the exact same reasons as last year why we are losing zone too high letting teams get run ons 5x5+ goals already. Why does it take so long for our season to crank up? I thought the whole Misson thing was over the top but does this campaigner not allow us to actually train the parts of the game we need to or are we just in holiday mode the entire pre season. Its got me ****ed how nothing has changed from the exact same point as last year. Every week i go wtf with selection Jetta get grabbing at his knee yet club didnt think to let him have the extra 4 weeks. We now have Jones and Lewis on the wings slowest combo in the history of the game. Fritsch is getting wasted behind the ball. No small forward. Having a 4 year old get rag dolled or making no tackles (1ave) isnt gonna help us. Having our mids be lazy campaigners allowing the easy overlap. We just look ******* stupid out there. How has nothing changed we knew last year Tyson and Jones on the wings werent helping us yet we go with same slow campaigners set up we knew dumping it in wasnt helping we knew ball chasing wasnt helping it was pointing out vs collingwood its all just the same and Viney coming out at 1/2 time saying we happy just gotta keep on going just shows how ******* stupid these campaigners are

put every stat aside. put every game and every positive and negative away. The one thing that caught my eye was Goodwin being resigned before the pre season matches started. That was the one time in his coaching career with Melbourne where I thought. Hang on. Is he being rewarded for last year? Wait a minute, we have a lot more to achieve with this list than making a blow out pre lim loss. That moment I thought maybe this is a bad move.

Plan for the worst hope for the best, we have completely ****** ourselves in the event it goes to s**t.
Well, as long as Tulip agreed!

**** me dead that's bleak. I reckon not being able to bring blokes from behind the contest as often is killing us

2018 2019
View attachment 659551
Okay, here what I think when I see that collection of stats, it’s pretty obvious, but we are worse at just about everything this year. Stats confirm the subjective gut feeling from watching games. We’re not falling down in any particular areas, and it’s not a structure or a game plan thing I don’t think. The team has gotten worse at everything over off season. Almost every player is down on form. I just don’t think it’s got anything to do with coaching, not in a technical sense.

I reckon either, there’s issues within the plying group, there’s issues between the playing group and the coach or coaches, or like a few have suggested - the pre season training regimen was just way off and all the players are cooked.

We're dumb and play dumb football

Like Topkent mentioned it's short-form football and really arrogant, we need the game to be tough and physical for it to be on our terms and when the other team uses space and takes the heat off the ball we're literally dead in the water. We only really defended well last year on the G during the heat of must win games and finals, which is looking more like an anomaly than a new trend after this shocking start to the year.

Our leaders aren't smart players and the one smart player is old and a liability for large parts of the game (Lewis). We're really missing Lever, as he's the one player that oozes leadership and a cool head. Where else are they? Jetta in the past was excellent at using the footy out of the back half, mr reliable, now he's started the year poorly and is now out for most of the year with another knee problem. Hibberd too.

They talk about not buying in to team defence, but what is team defence? We play a team full of contested players, tell them to put frontal pressure on the ball carrier, tell them to run into the contest and then are confused when we're killed on the spread. The Western Bulldogs are struggling at the moment too with too many contested players with poor skills, looks like the paradigm has shifted and we're stuck playing footy from 2 years ago.

We traded in KK as a potential winger, and someone worth taking a punt on, but he hasn't played great football for years and is once again under a concussion cloud. We need more options than just him on a wing.

Bring back Cale Morton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back