Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

If financially we are in no position to remove Goodwin before contract expiry then why should he feel any pressure at all. Basically he can do what he wants and say stuff the lot of you - you can’t (or won’t) sack me. Gee we really made sure he will feel the pressure to perform over the next 2 years. Good luck to him - he has f@@ked us over and the long suffering supporters have to endure for a number of years yet. If a miracle happens and he works out how to coach then OK it’s a win-win.

They sure love a redemption video in the social media department. Club responded against the two bottom teams. Reeks of drinking own bathwater. To Hell & Back Part II.
Sounds like complaining from you..

The club literally trying to be more accessible to us supporters, especially us poor pricks in Vic..

It clearly says "back on track" when referring to season. Not saying "congrats on the flag boys", it's highlighting getting back on track..

I am sure I speak for many supporters when I say that I enjoy seeing more of these videos. You might sit in the "I just want wins and a premiership camp" and tally ho to you. But unless you want minimal media access and the players to just train and play, and hear nothing from them, then I suggest keep complaining.

I wish they released that video straight after the port game honestly rather than waiting for some wins. Would have calmed the supporters down to know Goody was actually reading them the riot act.

Last edited:
I wish they released that video straight after the port game honestly rather than waiting for some wins. Would have calmed the supporters down to know Goody was actually reading them the riot act.
Yep I reckon the only issue here is the Titanic style music after the wins as if we've completed our redemption arc.
If they had concentrated on the loss and then ended with a good speech after the wins or something I think everyone would be ok with it

Credit to the club, good on them to release behind the scenes stuff like this.

Did the players really need a rev-up in order to beat the worst teams in the comp? With our list realistically they should have been able to go on a ten day bender and still win both games. Not sure what the messaging was here. Would have made more sense if we’d backed up against Collingwood rather than Adelaide.

Sounds like complaining from you..

The club literally trying to be more accessible to us supporters, especially us poor pricks in Vic..

It clearly says "back on track" when referring to season. Not saying "congrats on the flag boys", it's highlighting getting back on track..

I am sure I speak for many supporters when I say that I enjoy seeing more of these videos. You might sit in the "I just want wins and a premiership camp" and tally ho to you. But unless you want minimal media access and the players to just train and play, and hear nothing from them, then I suggest keep complaining.

I would like to see more of the behind the scenes stuff, especially a day in the life of the players particularly the challenges of being in a hub, short turn arounds.

Did the players really need a rev-up in order to beat the worst teams in the comp? With our list realistically they should have been able to go on a ten day bender and still win both games. Not sure what the messaging was here. Would have made more sense if we’d backed up against Collingwood rather than Adelaide.
I found it interesting that he said two from two, considering players and coaches usually go with the 'one week at at a time' or 'we don't look beyond this week'. Clearly we looked at the following two weeks playing the bottom teams were must wins.

I found it interesting that he said two from two, considering players and coaches usually go with the 'one week at at a time' or 'we don't look beyond this week'. Clearly we looked at the following two weeks playing the bottom teams were must wins.
The travel and the short breaks would play into that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was more in the context of being two games in an Adelaide hub - ‘let’s go away from home and make sure we come back with two wins’

Reckon we still played really poorly at times v Adelaide and North, definitely shouldn’t be getting ahead ourselves, I still expect us to lose to Collingwood as we haven’t beaten anyone decent in 18 months.

Media love piling on a club that is perceived to have 'gotten ahead of themselves' so "one week at a time" is just a rehearsed cliche to avoid that.

Reckon we still played really poorly at times v Adelaide and North, definitely shouldn’t be getting ahead ourselves, I still expect us to lose to Collingwood as we haven’t beaten anyone decent in 18 months.

Collingwood are fairly ordinary right now with form and injuries. If ever there was a time for us to pip them it's now.

It’s just a good test of where we are at - soo hard to read this season

I remain skeptical but a small glimmer of hope remains

The travel and the short breaks would play into that.
I think it was more in the context of being two games in an Adelaide hub - ‘let’s go away from home and make sure we come back with two wins’
Media love piling on a club that is perceived to have 'gotten ahead of themselves' so "one week at a time" is just a rehearsed cliche to avoid that.

All fair point I suppose we are in a strange season so I think it's ok for teams to look at blocks.

All fair point I suppose we are in a strange season so I think it's ok for teams to look at blocks.
One week had us play two games so yeah, nothing wrong with looking at both at once.
Collingwood are a bit more of a test but they're going pretty poorly at present so I have some hope we can beat them.

After last nights result this is the ideal scenario to see how Goodwin works with pressure on him, similar to the Eagles game in 2018 (not the final).

If we win this the some great opportunities to climb may arise.

After last nights result this is the ideal scenario to see how Goodwin works with pressure on him, similar to the Eagles game in 2018 (not the final).

If we win this the some great opportunities to climb may arise.
I had saints and GWS as games we would be more likely to lose on the run home.

After what I've seen the past week, we could beat both of those 2 but lose to Freo and Sydney.

I am absolutely done with trying to predict this year, it's just impossible.

Having said that, if we were to lose to Collingwood tomorrow night all things considered (rest, injuries etc) then they don't deserve to make finals. Having said that, GWS don't deserve to make finals, nor Essendon or the dogs.. so hopefully we can just be less s**t than those others.

Yep, this is when a coach earns their stripes.

Might have to rejig the magnets this week with some issues in the ruck - but the Pies have their own form and injury concerns coming off a 4 day break.

Really should win this if we are fair dinkum. Pies quite often start fast then fade, whereas we have been starting slow and coming over the top of teams.

Goodwin Melbourne teams pretty much always show where we are at early on, in terms of pressure. Even if we are 1-2 goals down at HT - as long as we bring the pressure I feel like we can roll them with our superior fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back