Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone hear hodge this morning on sen this morning. A caller asked him what hodge thought of the club when he played us. He politely said in recent years knowing us being a contested ball team just beat them on the outside. We must be the easiest team to coach against knowing how easily we get sucked into the contest. Last night there was a contest where fyfe just waited by himself while 3 Melbourne players contested the same ball sure enough fell in fyfes lap resulting with a shot at goal. Anyway back on Hodge he probably really thought over his time we are weak as piss at least the last 15 of his playing career.

North Melb in 2020 tells me Brad Scott probably got the best out of NM and could still be a damn good coach. For me we need a hard arsed experienced coach so one of B Scott or R Lyon would make me happy. Spare me another soft utensil New age current Assistant Coach to take over. Like Goodwin he would probably spend 90% of his time massaging the players’ balls to keep them happy. MFC needs a good kick up the arse.

I'm sure many here would agree with you. it's time the board pulled the trigger and recruited Lyon.

We could make excuses for Goodwin... end of season surgeries... pandemic... etc. The reality though is that he appears to have lost the players.

If that wasn't already obvious to the club hierarchy, the past two weeks should be evidence enough of that disconnect.

Also, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the way some players have reacted players after quarter time huddles over the past few weeks?

I've seen a confused Harmes call Goody back because he didn't understand what he meant, Petracca walked back to the centre with an assistant coaches consolate arm around his shoulder, and yesterday, Salem shaking his head and being comforted by Hibberd. On their own, they don't amount to much, but in context, it's the very opposite of what you would expect from confident, fired up players coming away from a coaches quarter time address.

In light of everything, the board would have to be obtuse and negligent if they haven't already realised where we are at and what will it will lead to if they don't take action.

I would be surprised if they haven't already made enquiries about Lyon's availability.
To Bartlett's credit, he made those comments in the middle of the year and we went on a 4/5 game winning run (weak opposition, mind). Not sure about Pert, but I don't think Bartlett is a big time backslapper inside the club. The fact he's been at the club seven years and nobody really knows much about him says he has a pretty carefully manicured public image.

My real issue with him and his coaching staff is the inability to coach flair players. We have blokes like Pickett, Hunt, Baker, Bennell, Hannan, Bedford etc all available and all underperforming. Seems like he can only coach meat and potato players to be more potato

Obviously all of them can't make it but Sydney/WC/Geelong/Richmond would make some players out of a couple of those.
Spot on. It reflects how he used to play the game himself. He was a workhorse who did a lot of heavy lifting, while other more mercurial talents around him did the flashy stuff. Strange though that he hasn't even succeeded in passing on his own traits of consistent effort and team-player aspects. I think he's a dud. He can't bring a club together or figure out what he's working with. He's too stubborn and wants people to fit into the rigid notion he has in his head of how the team should play. Even if he could manage to do that, he still doesn't have the coaching nous to counter the opposition tactics or different game styles. Goody has to go. Bad choice from Roosy, but can't be placed on him because it's Gary Pert that locked us in for another 2 years.

Honestly, it's almost a relief to have the finals done and dusted now because this club is a major source of stress, and no hope of success. At least this abysmal failure of the last couple of weeks makes it abundantly clear that we need a new coach. The only problem is whether we can find the resources to get it. It's going to be very expensive to persist with Goodwin though.

North Melb in 2020 tells me Brad Scott probably got the best out of NM and could still be a damn good coach. For me we need a hard arsed experienced coach so one of B Scott or R Lyon would make me happy. Spare me another soft utensil New age current Assistant Coach to take over. Like Goodwin he would probably spend 90% of his time massaging the players’ balls to keep them happy. MFC needs a good kick up the arse.

Brad Scott is not the answer.

How many cartoonish one-dimensional hard asses have won flags recently? Every coach who has won a flag since Malthouse in 2010 fiercely defend their players in public with no exceptions.

One team was organised out there. It wasn’t us. It speaks volumes about the coach. Ideally we get Clucko or Ros the Bos however, if a young coach like Longmuir can get a team with youngsters and injuries organised it’s almost time to choose the mystery box.
If we're going to play coaching mystery box, it better be a one year deal. We should never lock in an untried coach (or player) on a long term deal again. Bit really, our actual feasibility as a club depends on getting the next coaching decision right. It needs to be Clarko or Lyon, in my opinion. Although I suspect Brad Scott could get us in finals, he just doesn't have the same aura - which seems to be important for a flakey club like us.

Would love Clarkson, would be an unbelievable get, prolly very unlikely though.

Ross Lyon would be a great fit, a clear and uncompromising system of play, yes please

How many cartoonish one-dimensional hard asses have won flags recently? Every coach who has won a flag since Malthouse in 2010 fiercely defend their players in public with no exceptions.
Of course you defend your players .. that goes without saying. But what happens inside the club is just as important. I agree about “cartoonish -one dimensional” coaches but who is in that category in 2020? For me The Scotts, Clarkson, Hardwick are hard and behind closed doors would not tolerate weak as piss players. Keep going with Goodwin and coaches like him and we only give ourselves another 10 years of misery.

I think we’d all prefer an experienced premiership coach.

Premiership coaches currently in the system: Clarkson (x4), Hardwick (x2), Beveridge, Longmire, Scott, Simpson, Worsfold

Of course, it would likely be a long shot to land any of them, but we simply have to get the best coach not merely the best coach ‘available’. I think we’d be happy with any of them except perhaps Worsfold as head coach. Woosha would likely be a good footy manager though.

Premiership coaches outside the system: Malthouse (x3), Thompson (x2), Matthews, Pagan, Sheedy, Roos, Williams

Not much to write home about in that group in terms of taking a team forward in 2021. Roos perhaps the best option but we’ve been there and done that.

Coaches in the system that haven’t achieved the ultimate but have been around the mark: Buckley, Cameron, Fagan, Hinkley.

This is getting into fishing in the dark territory. All except maybe Fagan have had their issues. I’d still back any over Goodwin except perhaps Cameron who also cannot seem to get a far more talented team to play structured football.

Coaches outside the system who haven’t achieved the ultimate but have been around the mark: Lyon, Pyke,
B Scott

Lyon would likely be the choice out of these 3. Regardless, the other two would still likely be better than Goodwin.

Finally, the ultimate game of pin the tail on the donkey, the untried assistants: Caracella, Mitchell, Rawlings and Yze.

All have their selling points but you’d want to see results pretty quickly which is not a great position for a new coach to be in.
Yze we should go for. Highly rated at Hawthorn and under the Clarkson tutelage we could do a lot lot worse.

It's clear we need to get rid of Goodwin. The assistants appear pretty shithouse. Richo is incredibly uninspiring and always was on 360, seems useless. So who's idea was it to bring him in? Is it Perts insistance? How much of the assistant appointments falls to Mahoney?

My view is our drafting and trading strategy has been good since Mahoney has been around. Taylor has done his job, but development has been stifled with so many players because of poor coaching. Burgess was a good pickup and a response to the excuse that we were unfit last year when really its pretty clear the players effort and understanding of the gameplan was and is the much larger factor.

Yze we should go for. Highly rated at Hawthorn and under the Clarkson tutelage we could do a lot lot worse.
Hawks have been dog-s**t for 5 years.

Bolton was highly rated too and he turned out to be the worst coach since Neeld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks have been dog-sh*t for 5 years.

Bolton was highly rated too and he turned out to be the worst coach since Neeld.
Guessing who could be the next best untried coach is definitely a huge guessing game. The last 4 premiership teams have been coached by Clarkson disciples. If we went down that road we’d want someone who’d been involved in a successful system as a coach quite recently. Although that was also on Bolton and Neeld’s CVs.

Hi all, as a neutral supporter, I have to say that I was dumbfounded watching that press conference last night from your coach.

Saying that it's great that Melbourne is in this position again. What? Great that you're losing games that you should be winning? Great to be on the verge of making the finals, but not quite there this year again? He just doesn't seem to have a good sense of reality.

If nothing, he is a good spin doctor. He may have been handy on the SS Titanic when it was sinking. He may have becalmed the nerves of the passengers, as they awaited their watery fate.

But, & this is my opinion only, he just doesn't seem to have that aura about him as a coach, who inspires, motivates his players to perform at & above the acceptable standard. It's almost like he accepts mediocrity too easily & that filters down. He needs to be a bit more ruthless, bit more savage when his team loses. He needs to show pain on his face. Roosy was great for you guys! He just wouldn't accept mediocrity from his players.

We were lucky at Brisbane to have had Matthews as coach! His no nonsense, no prisoners, no excuses attitude had everyone on notice, including hardnuts like Voss & Brown.

I really don't know what Melbourne's brand is as a football club! That has to come from the top down. Goodwin looks like a nice, mild type of chap, but he like many other coaches looks out of his depth. You could do far worse than trying to entice someone like Brad Scott to come in as coach.
I think you've hit it on the head there, mate. Goody is a good spin doctor... nothing more that that.

He talks the talk, but he can't deliver. I suspect that the players are starting to see that. I just hope the board does too.

Ross Lyon and Yze as assistant please.

Goody practically begging us to sack him by asking us to be more ruthless. Get Lyon in and do what it takes to bring Yze over with a nod to have him as next senior coach. Unless Clarko is gettable, this is what i want.

Oh, and throw the kitchen sink at Balme. Mahoney has to go. Our list has gone backwards and quite frankly he is avoiding a lot of the heat when he deserves otherwise..

Mahoney has to go. Our list has gone backwards and quite frankly he is avoiding a lot of the heat when he deserves otherwise..
Not sure I agree with this at all tbh. Mahoney could hardly predict our #1 KPF would become permanently crocked or that Nev would fall off a cliff. The list looks pretty handy to me. We addressed multiple needs in the recent trade/draft period.

Not sure I agree with this at all tbh. Mahoney could hardly predict our #1 KPF would become permanently crocked or that Nev would fall off a cliff. The list looks pretty handy to me. We addressed multiple needs in the recent trade/draft period.

If we can get a proper football boss like Neil Balme, he's gone.

Plus I hold him responsible for him allowing Goodwin to make all the change's hes wanted to in the coaches box.

He's been an absolute failure this entire time at the MFC.

List is ordinary. Depth lacking, forwardline is absolute trash. Too many inside mids. Still lack quality running players. Lacking leadership. Our list is overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back