Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the fact that he doesn't follow the norm/leader.

He tries to innovate, that is always a good sign in a coach.

another thing is that there are quite a few players who are improving, also another tick for the coach

I like the fact that he doesn't follow the norm/leader.

He tries to innovate, that is always a good sign in a coach.

another thing is that there are quite a few players who are improving, also another tick for the coach

Whilst Ive been critical of him and will reserve judgement till the end of the season he has always been a very proactive coach which is a really good sign. I’d much rather him than someone like Worsfold who sits on his hands praying his team can football better than the opposition.

Whilst Ive been critical of him and will reserve judgement till the end of the season he has always been a very proactive coach which is a really good sign. I’d much rather him than someone like Worsfold who sits on his hands praying his team can football better than the opposition.
If anything he be a little too cute at times but that isn't such a bad thing

We all knew what our flaws were structurally and in hindsight it just took a bit of persistence and some key players (Tmac mainly and perhaps Frost/ Wagner out) to come back for our forward line and back line to start functioning fluently.

I gotta give credit to the coaching staff for backing in players and my doubts about the sustainability of our contested focus game and lack of outside spread have been disproved. We are really capitalising on our contested dominance and now the whole team has the confidence to spread quickly as they know we are gonna win the 50/50's.

Earlier in the thread i criticised Goodwin about seeming like he was accepting mediocrity after the Tigers game, but in the last few weeks all of the players have mentioned the directive from the coaches to play to the final siren and focus on increasing the percentage, which shows they aren't settling for ok wins or honourable losses.

I really had my doubts about the our consistency due to the way we have played so to only lose 2 or 3 quarters in the last 7 games has been the most encouraging aspect coaching wise to our recent form.

Shows how hard working he is sitting in the crowd watching port 3 weeks before we play them. +1 respect
We don't play til Monday, players aren't training tomorrow. Good option.

Will get to do it again next week too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we do seem to get opened up more easily at the MCG. Very concerning because A. its our home ground and B. it's where most finals are played
Some common ground with Crows fans at last!

As far as I can tell we are 9-10 at home under Goodwin and 2-4 this season. That's a massive massive concern.

We will achieve absolutely nothing if we can't flip that into a more positive record.

Both Richmond and Collingwood play the same style. As soon as one of their blokes gets hands on it they immediately spread in all directions from the contest meaning that they can blindly flick it forward and generally find a team mate.

We still try to over work the handball which invites pressure whereas we couldn't even apply it because the Collingwood blokes would handball it free of the inner ring

Problem is at the MCG you need speed against the good sides and we probably had the slowest 22 of the year in yesterday. You pair that with how badly our mids were beaten and it’s amazing we got within 10 goals.

It was an 80 point loss everywhere but the scoreboard

Our next three games at the g should all be wins and really have to be if we’re going to make finals. Saints, Bulldogs and Suns. We accounted for all of them easily on other grounds so if we lose to any of them, then it really is time to sound the alarm about adapting our game plan to the g (if it isn’t already!).

As it stands we have lost all our big games at the g this year. Round 1, Anzac Eve, QBD. I have this terrible feeling that it will be down to us vs Giants for a spot in the finals come round 23...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back