Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think we make ght finals but we need to do something we haven't been able to do and take a scalp.
I think we will next week, or at least we have to go into the game expecting the boys to win it. 8-3 to 8-5, then we can talk about missing finals. Need to back them in despite a poor week.

lost at selection again.. dropped our smartest ball user while bringing in the window licking Tyson. Still having both old balls in the team is killing us having Hibberd play on a tall isnt gonna work. Spargo spreads pretty good and has great vision speed and doesnt bomb his kicks exactly what we were missing. Its not like we didnt know that b4 the game kicked off..

lost at selection again.. dropped our smartest ball user while bringing in the window licking Tyson. Still having both old balls in the team is killing us having Hibberd play on a tall isnt gonna work. Spargo spreads pretty good and has great vision speed and doesnt bomb his kicks exactly what we were missing. Its not like we didnt know that b4 the game kicked off..

Hibberd being forced to play tall has killed his run and drive.

If you look back the changes thread, the consensus was bring in Tyson to help with stoopages, rest spargo.

Now captain hindsight’s come out “we lost at selection”

If you look back the changes thread, the consensus was bring in Tyson to help with stoopages, rest spargo.

Tyson didn't attend a single centre bounce.

find anywhere where i said bring tyson in? i said what i just said b4 the game ******* started. why would spargo need to be rested after a ******* bye. if he was dropped had to be for Garlett not Tysom

find anywhere where i said bring tyson in? i said what i just said b4 the game ******* started. why would spargo need to be rested after a ******* bye. if he was dropped had to be for Garlett not Tysom

I agree spargo should of kept playing, for some reason the consensus on here for the last 3-4 weeks was rest spargo.

Leading up to the Collingwood game it was bring in pederson, then he plays and it’s why was he selected.

The post wasn’t a direct pot shot at you, but there is plenty of posters call for one thing then it happens and they criticise Goodwin for exactly the decision they want him to make.

We lost the game by our forward kicking, I don’t think a couple of players here or there would of been the difference

He's hardly going to have been at Gawns feet around the ground if we didn't trust him in a single centre bounce. Which is why he had **** all touches and impact.

He isn’t a bull like Viney and Oliver hence why he doesn’t spend time in the centre, but when playing well he is a good link (second touch) between the runners and Viney/oliver. Trouble is we just haven’t seen his best this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isn’t a bull like Viney and Oliver hence why he doesn’t spend time in the centre, but when playing well he is a good link (second touch) between the runners and Viney/oliver. Trouble is we just haven’t seen his best this year.

No need for the second link. Half the reason our team over handballs. That first touch should get the ball clear of the stoppage and we are away.

No need for the second link. Half the reason our team over handballs. That first touch should get the ball clear of the stoppage and we are away.

It’s very tough for oliver/Viney with an opponent on there backs to get a clean 10m handball to space. I completely agree when we are under pressure we over handball, but the way we play we need that link from first touch to outside runner.

I didn't think Tyson was particularly bad, to be honest. He got caught a few times but there were more than a few of those. Melksham, quite amazingly, gave away six free kicks cheers to umpire Nicholls.

The Smiths were both pretty s**t, I thought. I'd be amazed if either of them made it. 13 disposals and 3 marks between them, and they're meant to be versatile talls. Tim tackled well with six, and Joel had some decent 1%ers, but that's the extent of it.

Its depressing, because its so clear where we are as a team. Beat up on s**t teams and crumble against better sides. We should have won that by five goals, when you look at the stats, but the occasion and expectation got the better of us.

I know losing Lever sucks, but we only had him for 10 games. Why does our defence looks like its never played together?

I didn't think Tyson was particularly bad, to be honest. He got caught a few times but there were more than a few of those. Melksham, quite amazingly, gave away six free kicks cheers to umpire Nicholls.

The Smiths were both pretty s**t, I thought. I'd be amazed if either of them made it. 13 disposals and 3 marks between them, and they're meant to be versatile talls. Tim tackled well with six, and Joel had some decent 1%ers, but that's the extent of it.

Its depressing, because its so clear where we are as a team. Beat up on s**t teams and crumble against better sides. We should have won that by five goals, when you look at the stats, but the occasion and expectation got the better of us.

I know losing Lever sucks, but we only had him for 10 games. Why does our defence looks like its never played together?
Would hardly it ‘crumbling’ when you lead for 90% of the game

Would hardly it ‘crumbling’ when you lead for 90% of the game

I would. You wouldn't call it "crumbling" if you were behind and stayed behind the whole match. That'd just be getting deservedly beaten.

I think this thread is about the coach right?

My main concern is he seems to take an inordinate amount of time to make tactical and/ or structural changes / decisions (ie weeks instead of quarters)

In addition, the crap quarter thing still costing us games

I think this is exasperated by our challenges with in field leadership - which you really want to react in quarter

I cant criticize selection cause what do I know - although apart from 2 weeks earlier in the year I just don’t get what Tyson brings

Against port I thought the effort and intent was there and we gave it a real crack, which is way different to hawthorn and Collingwood where you can just tell I the first 20 we are done (another coaching thing?)

That said I did think to myself at some point here we go again wasting forward 50 entries....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back