Universal Love The game that just keeps giving (2013 - PF)

Remove this Banner Ad

Since 2007...top 10 free kicks for

Joel Selwood 411
Dean Cox 309
Marc Murphy 296
Andrew Swallow 281
Jude Bolton 260
Gary Jnr Ablett 255
Angus Monfries 254
Adam Selwood 238
Sam Mitchell 236
Nick Riewoldt 231
Insane, over 100 more than the nearest. Sammy scraped into the top 10, wow!

Joel Selwood 411
Dean Cox 309
Marc Murphy 296
Andrew Swallow 281
Jude Bolton 260
Gary Jnr Ablett 255
Angus Monfries 254
Adam Selwood 238
Sam Mitchell 236
Nick Riewoldt 231

Not surprised about Cox. Usually when he's involved in a contest he turns into one of these things:

wacky.gif

Joel Selwood 411
Dean Cox 309
Marc Murphy 296
Andrew Swallow 281
Jude Bolton 260
Gary Jnr Ablett 255
Angus Monfries 254
Adam Selwood 238
Sam Mitchell 236
Nick Riewoldt 231
What about free kick differential?
Would be surprised if the likes of monfries and Mitchell remain the same

3 games into 2014 season and he already has 11 free kicks paid for and only 2 against.
Only bettered by Nathan Jones of Melbourne who has 12. Hawks best in this dept are Hodge and Poppy, each with 5.

In the frees against category the leader is Mr Sling Tackle, Matt Thomas on 11. Our best (worst?) is Langford with 4.

Only bettered by Nathan Jones of Melbourne who has 12. Hawks best in this dept are Hodge and Poppy, each with 5.

In the frees against category the leader is Mr Sling Tackle, Matt Thomas on 11. Our best (worst?) is Langford with 4.

That puts Hodge towards the top, because he's only played one and a half games, compared to the others playing three.

I think it goes back to him decking Sewell behind the play a few years ago - I've noticed that since that game most of our players have had no problems with most Geelong players, but ignore him when they can.

I have the greatest respect for Geelong, they're easily the best team of the modern era. For us to go near them we'd need to win this year and at least another one in the next two (I don't count 2008 as part of this 'dynasty' since we're effectively a completely different team).

Didn't he also get Goo behind the play? Goo ended up with a perforated eardrum or something.
The outrage from the Handbaggers was cringeworthy.
At the time, the footage of it wasn't great as it was in the days of downfield cameras being so far away from the action that the vision of it was poor and grainy. Their whinging and whining was so typical and god forbid that Selwood be suspended. The golden boy would never do something like that. Except for the fact that he was the only one near Goo who had blood pouring from his ear. but of course he hit himself in the ear didn't he!!

I have the greatest respect for Geelong, they're easily the best team of the modern era. For us to go near them we'd need to win this year and at least another one in the next two (I don't count 2008 as part of this 'dynasty' since we're effectively a completely different team).

Why does 2008 not count but their 2007 does? I think if we go back to back this year we've passed them.

Didn't he also get Goo behind the play? Goo ended up with a perforated eardrum or something.
The outrage from the Handbaggers was cringeworthy.
At the time, the footage of it wasn't great as it was in the days of downfield cameras being so far away from the action that the vision of it was poor and grainy. Their whinging and whining was so typical and god forbid that Selwood be suspended. The golden boy would never do something like that. Except for the fact that he was the only one near Goo who had blood pouring from his ear. but of course he hit himself in the ear didn't he!!

That's right, I'd forgotten about that incident.

The self-righteous indignation from the Handbagger supporters over their golden boy was absolute gold to see! Flogs.

Why does 2008 not count but their 2007 does? I think if we go back to back this year we've passed them.
Agreed, or a at least pulled level. Back to Back is ridiculously hard to achieve, the Cats themselves are proof of that. It adds real lustre to a period of great success. The only people who would say otherwise are people who haven't experienced their team going B2B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we fell away for two years and substantially changed our team so there isn't a comparable sustained period of success we can point to.

If we'd been top 4/Grand Finalists/Premiers in 2009/10 then we would have a case. The Cats era is pretty clearly 2007 to 2013 (and who knows what happens this year) - 7 years of dominance and success.

I'd say our current team has only been dominant since 2011-2013 so until we get close to that period the discussion is moot.

The only team that has come close to what the Cats have done in the last 40 years the Hawthorn of the 80's (who still deserve to be at the top of the pile).

Can't agree on a number of points H55.

First, all teams change. we had a shocker in 2009, but our 2010 was similar to their 2012. Both had losing GFs and arguably won one when not the best team and lost one when we werethe team (through the regular season). we win this year, then we are equal. Win this year and next, then way way ahead.

On a different point, why leave out Brisbane. I would have ranked four GFs and three consecutive Premierships above e current Geelong run and arguably up with our 80s run.

Cats have been, and may still be, a great team! But don't downplay our dominance over the last two years and the overstate our down year in 2009!

Because we fell away for two years and substantially changed our team so there isn't a comparable sustained period of success we can point to.

If we'd been top 4/Grand Finalists/Premiers in 2009/10 then we would have a case. The Cats era is pretty clearly 2007 to 2013 (and who knows what happens this year) - 7 years of dominance and success.

I'd say our current team has only been dominant since 2011-2013 so until we get close to that period the discussion is moot.

The only team that has come close to what the Cats have done in the last 40 years the Hawthorn of the 80's (who still deserve to be at the top of the pile).
This is probably the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. I think you must be a Cats fan masquerading as a Hawks fan, to troll in disguise.

You are talking like the Cats are on some sort of all pervasive, all conquering dynasty, the likes of which have never been seen in football before. 3 flags in 5 years is a great run of success, but that's all it is. It's no 'dynasty'. You only have to look back a decade to find an equal or superior run of success, Brissie's three flags from four GFs, including three in a row is as good or better than what the Cats have done recently. And to compare the Cats to the Hawks of the 70s and 80s is like comparing a bag of lollies to a sumptuous six course feast in a five star restaurant.

We had 8 or 9 players from the 2008 flag play in the GF last year, and the same coach. I couldn't a rat's fat hairy arse if we slipped in '09, it's the same era.

I'm sure the Cats had very different personnel from '07 to '11, plus a different coach.

Best four teams are the same as last year. Geelong may have started better than Sydney & Fremantle but it's a long season.

Don't forget West Coast! They have something to say this season. In fact I expect the Cats to fall away in the latter half of the season and West Coast to take their spot in the 4.

In no particular order:

Fremantle
Hawthorn
Sydney
West Coast

2014 is the season that Hawthorn defends Victoria's honour. I have no doubt that the other Vic teams will get behind us :p

Don't forget West Coast! They have something to say this season. In fact I expect the Cats to fall away in the latter half of the season and West Coast to take their spot in the 4.

In no particular order:

Fremantle
Hawthorn
Sydney
West Coast

2014 is the season that Hawthorn defends Victoria's honour. I have no doubt that the other Vic teams will get behind us :p

Yep, like the last two years :rolleyes:

Since 2007...top 10 free kicks for:

Joel Selwood 411
Dean Cox 309
Marc Murphy 296
Andrew Swallow 281
Jude Bolton 260
Gary Jnr Ablett 255
Angus Monfries 254
Adam Selwood 238
Sam Mitchell 236
Nick Riewoldt 231

So much for the Puopolo accusations. Selwood's figures are obscene. Im not sure how Cats supporters can keep a straight face when they argue that he doesn't draw frees. They have about the same level of credibility as holocaust deniers. The figures say it all.

So much for the Puopolo accusations. Selwood's figures are obscene. Im not sure how Cats supporters can keep a straight face when they argue that he doesn't draw frees. They have about the same level of credibility as holocaust deniers. The figures say it all.
well, to be fair, Pop only debuted in 2011, so figures not adjusted

Since 2011 Until now Selwood has played 69 games for 200 free kicks (at an average of almost 3 per game)
Comparatively Paul Puopolo has played 66 games for 108 free kicks (at an average of 1.6 per game)

The stats dont lie.

In no particular order:

Fremantle
Hawthorn
Sydney
West Coast

Geelong will finish above Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back