Universal Love The game that just keeps giving (2013 - PF)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the prelim again and it only reinforces that there are quite a few but notably selwood and Johnston that have very punchable faces. Their sense of entitlement does my head in with the constant appealing for free kicks
Yep, in 40 years of watching football, I've never seen anything quite like the two of them. Duckwood who has perfected the art of drawing frees by ducking into tackles, which I believe not to be in the spirit of the game, and Johnston who waves his arms around and appeals to the umpies like no other player I've ever seen. Absolute sooks the pair of them, and it takes the sheen off two great players. DAMN it's good that they are forever our bunnies...

I watched it again last night and I've gotta say the Triple M commentary was mindbogglingly biased in the Scats favor. Geelong gets a goal? All the commentators go bananas. Hawthorn gets a goal? Forced, muted reactions.

But the most annoying thing by far, by a distance of several billion light years, was the way those muppets would react each and every time that enormous campaigner Stevie J got the ball. Absolutely sickening to hear, it was like listening to several grown men bitch-slapping each other for the privilege of being first in line to tongue his corn hole.

Shame I wasn't there to see the looks on their faces when the final siren went. Don't think they would've been quite as ashen as Tom Harley but probably not far off!

I watched it again last night and I've gotta say the Triple M commentary was mindbogglingly biased in the Scats favor. Geelong gets a goal? All the commentators go bananas. Hawthorn gets a goal? Forced, muted reactions.

But the most annoying thing by far, by a distance of several billion light years, was the way those muppets would react each and every time that enormous **** Stevie J got the ball. Absolutely sickening to hear, it was like listening to several grown men bitch-slapping each other for the privilege of being first in line to tongue his corn hole.

Shame I wasn't there to see the looks on their faces when the final siren went. Don't think they would've been quite as ashen as Tom Harley but probably not far off!
I found that when I listened to that commentary too. I also had the misfortune of having to listen to those morons in the Essendon game a few weeks back, they were EXACTLY the same. When the Bombers were up, and especially when Chapman kicked his goal, they were going out of their minds. When we kicked late goals to win, 'forced' and 'muted' are the perfect words to describe their commentary.

The only thing I can put it down to is the amount of misery we've heaped on their own sides over the years.

Just watched the prelim final again for the very first time since the actual night...at the time I was so happy the curse was broken we came back from 20 at 3qtr time etc and we made the freaking grand final. Upon review though I'm actually angry, the umpiring was so one sided it probably favoured Geelong by 35-40 points. Brad Sewell holding the ball decisions, Roughead getting smashed high and in the back in marking contests, Lewis wrestling with Johnson, Rioli marking the ball then Bartel knocking it out and it becomes a 12 point play in Geelongs favour when it should have been a 50 to us and finally the non holding the ball decision against Duncan with the umpire yelling out it can't be holding the ball because he didn't see his opponent coming...wtf?

Sorry about the negative rant and I congratulate the club for focusing on the task at hand rather than get sucked into this absolutely pathetic display of umpiring which almost cost the team that was clearly better a spot in the GF.

If we play like this on Monday and the umpiring is somewhat decent we win by 50.

Just watched the prelim final again for the very first time since the actual night...at the time I was so happy the curse was broken we came back from 20 at 3qtr time etc and we made the freaking grand final. Upon review though I'm actually angry, the umpiring was so one sided it probably favoured Geelong by 35-40 points. Brad Sewell holding the ball decisions, Roughead getting smashed high and in the back in marking contests, Lewis wrestling with Johnson, Rioli marking the ball then Bartel knocking it out and it becomes a 12 point play in Geelongs favour when it should have been a 50 to us and finally the non holding the ball decision against Duncan with the umpire yelling out it can't be holding the ball because he didn't see his opponent coming...wtf?

Sorry about the negative rant and I congratulate the club for focusing on the task at hand rather than get sucked into this absolutely pathetic display of umpiring which almost cost the team that was clearly better a spot in the GF.

If we play like this on Monday and the umpiring is somewhat decent we win by 50.

You missed the goal from a throw in before 3/4 time after the Cat player had actually kicked the ball oob on the full.

You missed the goal from a throw in before 3/4 time after the Cat player had actually kicked the ball oob on the full.
I hate being so negative but we really had to be an 8 goal better team to get the win that night.

The way they got it out from our goalsquare down to Varcoe was how a lot of our recent meetings have panned out. When Hawkins kicked the sealer in 2012, they were able to zip it down to him too easily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way they got it out from our goalsquare down to Varcoe was how a lot of our recent meetings have panned out. When Hawkins kicked the sealer in 2012, they were able to zip it down to him too easily

And IIRC, that was the result of another missed free to Rioli in our forward 50 where the BS excuse from the maggot was "he didn't see you, play on".

Makes you wonder sometimes whether those bastards have money on the games ... Or if someone slips some moolah under the table in a paper bag, John Elliott style! ;-p

And IIRC, that was the result of another missed free to Rioli in our forward 50 where the BS excuse from the maggot was "he didn't see you, play on".

Makes you wonder sometimes whether those bastards have money on the games ... Or if someone slips some moolah under the table in a paper bag, John Elliott style! ;-p

During that string of losses it did feel as if the result was rigged, however i think the Hawkins one was a result of Puopolo trying to do a miracle goal, turning it over straight to a cat defender

During that string of losses it did feel as if the result was rigged, however i think the Hawkins one was a result of Puopolo trying to do a miracle goal, turning it over straight to a cat defender
I reckon it was a result of us not even turning up until the second quarter. 50 point deficit or something at quarter time?

That also didn't help. We didn't have Buddy that night either
Early signs that we play better without him. Play decent first quarter we would've won that game by 4-5 goals at least.

just watched the final quarter again for some reason.. one thing that really stood out (that I hadn't quite noticed before): Lewis was immense in the last. Did a lot of tough stuff in and under, and also went third man up in the key play that got the ball out to Mitchell (-> Rioli -> Burgoyne -> Gunston GOAL) and set up Bruest a couple of minutes later with a beautiful right foot kick that Brewster should have nailed to put us in the lead (turned out to be a seven point play, luckily!). Lewie had a quiet game overall but stood up when it counted.

also noticed how Lake totally towelled Hawkins .. i know hawkins wasn't fully fit but Lake makes such a massive difference to our structure. Bring on our next match against the Cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back