List Mgmt. The Great Guess - 2020 Draft preview thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hope the league increases list size and lessens the minimum list changes this year.
Can't imagine they'd increase list size when all the talk has been about list sizes dropping.

If lists are going to be cut as a cost saving measure, would be good to see reduced senior list size (down to 38 instead of 40), but increase the size of the rookie list. Means keeping more players on lower money, while also allowing us to bring through players on shorter contracts through the rookie draft, which helps with the fact that an entire year of U18 footy is being missed, meaning we have less idea of which kids are worthwhile

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can't imagine they'd increase list size when all the talk has been about list sizes dropping.

If lists are going to be cut as a cost saving measure, would be good to see reduced senior list size (down to 38 instead of 40), but increase the size of the rookie list. Means keeping more players on lower money, while also allowing us to bring through players on shorter contracts through the rookie draft, which helps with the fact that an entire year of U18 footy is being missed, meaning we have less idea of which kids are worthwhile
They might do the opposite and eliminate rookies but make it easier to drag players in from a state league any time during the season if there are significant numbers injured/retired/suspended.

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They might do the opposite and eliminate rookies but make it easier to drag players in from a state league any time during the season if there are significant numbers injured/retired/suspended.
I'd be happy with allowing clubs to bring through players from their state league affiliate, and just pay an overinflated game payment for them

Northernsoul74

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be happy with allowing clubs to bring through players from their state league affiliate, and just pay an overinflated game payment for them
I’d be concerned it dilutes the skill of good list management if you can just bring in players short term. Good list management should be rewarded.

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I’d be concerned it dilutes the skill of good list management if you can just bring in players short term. Good list management should be rewarded.
There would probably be some controls if they went down this path.

Before accessing state league top ups you might need to have a definite number of LTIs etc before it's allowed and then only for a designated number of players ( say 1 or 2). Also, like the old rule with rookies, those top-up players might need to go back to the state league after the LTIs recover.

Northernsoul74

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Recruiter Matt Rendell just on SEN talking about the draft. Amongst other things he mentioned Raak as someone he rates highly and sees him as a top 20 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Recruiter Matt Rendell just on SEN talking about the draft. Amongst other things he mentioned Raak as someone he rates highly and sees him as a top 20 pick.
Not sure if I'm happy or annoyed with that.

Sucks that he may actually cost us something when I was hoping he'd be bid on late enough that the discount overwrites most of the cost, but then also happy to hear he's good enough to be in the frame for early-ish selection.

Getting two quality talls like that in one draft is huge for us in the long term

bobs head soup

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if I'm happy or annoyed with that.

Sucks that he may actually cost us something when I was hoping he'd be bid on late enough that the discount overwrites most of the cost, but then also happy to hear he's good enough to be in the frame for early-ish selection.

Getting two quality talls like that in one draft is huge for us in the long term
Think of it like my missus does at sale time.

A 20% saving on a top 20 pick is a much bigger saving than on a third rounder.

The higher they bid, the more we save.

Sigh.

weltschmerz

Club Legend
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Cody goes in the first couple of rounds, we almost certainly won’t be taking anyone besides our academy and F/S picks. Good thing they’re good.

Top Bottom