Cancelled
10k Posts
Apr 27, 2005
8th place
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Ham, Tony Pulis hat
Just would like to remind a few people they were 1 goal away from not making the Grand Final 1 week ago.

VERY good team. Best ever. No

Just like to remind you that you were one goal away from not winning LAST YEAR.

• Banned
1) They aren't the greatest team ever, nor is anyone suggesting that.

2) Why would you try and hose down the hype on the day they won a GF?

Not hosing it down at all. Dont personally believe that is possible I heard it mentioned in the radio commentary aswell as on TV and im expecting to hear a bit more about it.

As I said, a VERY VERY good team but its a bit of a insult to the past greats to constantly suggest every team that wins a flag is the greatest ever especially teams who were 1 kick away from losing it all during the finals series

Great teams do it consistently. Geelong have the potential to be one of the great sides, they dont really have a weakness. If they win next years GF, they can certianly be considered one of the great sides, taking into account how hard it is to be consistently successful in the modern era.

The most dominating finals win I have ever seen :thumbsu:

In my opinion, this Geelong team is just as awesome as the great Brisbane teams, but whether or not these players are able to win 3 flags remains to be seen.

The Cats are without weakness. They don't need a champion power forward (Mooney is okay, not brilliant) because they are just awesome all around the ground, including one of the best defences I've ever seen.

Scarlett is the equal to, if not better than Stephen Silvagni. Champion defender who sets it all up from the last line. Unlucky not to win the Norm Smith Medal. His spoiling ability is incredible, plus he so quick to recover. When he gets the ball, he just never makes a mistake.

Has there ever been a better ruck tandem in a Grand Final?
Ottens and King, both All-Australians... maybe Madden and Salmon in 1985.

Chapman, Corey, Bartel, Johnson, Enright, Kelly, Ling, Ablett.... just an incredible array of talented runners who all play for each other.

Hard to compare teams that played years apart, but don't be fooled by win/loss ratios. These Cats are a stronger outfit than Essendon 2000. Both teams won 19 of their last 20 games, usually by large margins, but Geelong's list runs deeper. Their 2nd tier players are better.

The 2007 Cats remind a lot of the great Hawthorn football teams from the 80's with their relentless defensive pressure, support running, aerial strength, polish, skills and team discipline. That's the highest compliment I can give.

Hopefully the Geelong fans show the same humility over the next year as their players have shown.

Well done Cats.

Great season, great victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets not forget this was one of the most open AFL seasons in a while. With a pinch of luck, even the Roos and Pies would've been Premiers and made it to a Prelim each.

But we won. We werent the greatest team ever however
most of you idiots were carrying on like porkchops about your dynasty.. uh huh... one flag.. a dynasty, west coast to be unstoppable for the next 60 years.. meh, you won 2006 by 1 point, not 119.

But we won. We werent the greatest team ever however
But Geelong won too. They were awesome throughout the year. Certainly the best premier since Essendon 2000 (who were probably the best ever).

They did almost lose to Collingwood but they controlled most of the game. There was no way they would have actually lost it, they had too much class and would have found a way to win - and they did.

Meh bound to happen with the amount of bandwagoners in the media atm.

But the cliches get worst each year. I was waiting for the "greatest performance by a team ever" but had to settle for "the greatest team ever" a few times already.

The media in this city and country is just getting worst by the day. Rupie babies dream has finally happened.

1) They aren't the greatest team ever, nor is anyone suggesting that.

2) Why would you try and hose down the hype on the day they won a GF?

It's the very thing that H2F started a thread on:
"The Cats would have been spanked by the last 7 Premiership Teams ... (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4) "

Very poor form for people to show such bitterness.

Congratulations Cats on delivering justice to football.

Nowhere near the best ever season put together. Ok perhaps top 10.

Disagree Jabso. The goal is to win the flag. Geelong's 2007 season is definitely one of the best ever.

People (like Dan26) put too much emphasis on stats.
Essendon won more games in 2000 than Geelong in 2007 but results in March and April are largely irrelevent.

It's silly to judge the greatest teams ever like you would judge a gymnast's routine, where every mistake or slip-up is penalised.
I prefer to judge these great teams by the quality of their performances against the best teams when it really counts. How they perform down the stretch and in September is far more important than whether they went through the season undefeated.

Geelong had a downer versus Collingwood in the Preliminary Final, but they were still good enough to win against quality opposition (Pies played their best) even though things were against them. But their 100 point victories over North and Port were two of the most dominant September performances I've ever seen.

I've never seen a football team play two big finals at that same level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back