Certified Legendary Thread The 'I've Got an Easton Wood' Appreciation Society.

Remove this Banner Ad

409176-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I doubted Wood for a long time. As recently as 2-3 years ago he looked lost on the field and couldn't lock down a role in the side. There were endless arguments about whether he was a half back, a back pocket, a wingman, a half forward, or, well, just s**t. He couldn't handball (in fairness, he still can't really), missed targets regularly, was often in the wrong position, didn't sufficiently use his pace to his advantage and lost a lot of one-on-one contests. Always showed promise, of course, but couldn't get fit and as a result didn't show much improvement. Fast forward a few years and he's a worthy All-Australian and Sutton Medallist. Shows the value of a clear run without injury. Congratulations to him. Was awesome to watch this season and a great story. A lot of respect for him.

I doubted Wood for a long time. As recently as 2-3 years ago he looked lost on the field and couldn't lock down a role in the side. There were endless arguments about whether he was a half back, a back pocket, a wingman, a half forward, or, well, just s**t. He couldn't handball (in fairness, he still can't really), missed targets regularly, was often in the wrong position, didn't sufficiently use his pace to his advantage and lost a lot of one-on-one contests. Always showed promise, of course, but couldn't get fit and as a result didn't show much improvement. Fast forward a few years and he's a worthy All-Australian and Sutton Medallist. Shows the value of a clear run without injury. Congratulations to him. Was awesome to watch this season and a great story. A lot of respect for him.

Gee dannnnnnnnn , sometimes I think you and me are watching different footballers.
Wood only needed a decent go at it and he was always going to be a more than solid footballer.
You spend a lot of time on odd mistakes and definieces , without the balance of attributes.
I will agree I didn't the season he had coming , it will be hard to better it !

Gee dannnnnnnnn , sometimes I think you and me are watching different footballers.
Wood only needed a decent go at it and he was always going to be a more than solid footballer.
You spend a lot of time on odd mistakes and definieces , without the balance of attributes.
I will agree I didn't the season he had coming , it will be hard to better it !
It definitely wasn't just me KH - Wood was one of the hottest topics around here when I first joined. My perspective was a long way from the harshest on here as well; the discussion got pretty heated. I thought he could be solid but thought his composure let him down a bit. He played some pretty ordinary games for us early days and then the hamstrings started going around when he picked up a little bit of form. Your optimism about him being a "more than solid player" definitely wasn't that of the majority a few years ago. He certainly did have good attributes though and I wasn't pretending that he didn't.

It definitely wasn't just me KH - Wood was one of the hottest topics around here when I first joined. My perspective was a long way from the harshest on here as well; the discussion got pretty heated. I thought he could be solid but thought his composure let him down a bit. He played some pretty ordinary games for us early days and then the hamstrings started going around when he picked up a little bit of form. Your optimism about him being a "more than solid player" definitely wasn't that of the majority a few years ago. He certainly did have good attributes though and I wasn't pretending that he didn't.

No Dannnnnnnnn , I remember you were not the only one and by no means his harshest critic.
But after playing a fair bit of football and watching it for the best part of 50 years , I have yet to see the perfect footballer with no deficiencies. What I think you need to do is work out whether they have a nett worth within the team they play in.
As an example what puts someone like Grant in negative territory

No Dannnnnnnnn , I remember you were not the only one and by no means his harshest critic.
But after playing a fair bit of football and watching it for the best part of 50 years , I have yet to see the perfect footballer with no deficiencies. What I think you need to do is work out whether they have a nett worth within the team they play in. Never ever saw Wood as not having nett worth for the team and with a big upside.
As an example what puts someone like Grant in negative territory is his poor kicking , so despite all his good attributes it has put him in the delist land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was one of the great marks ever and maybe the bravest I've ever seen. Look at the photo in yesterday's Herald-Sun, those biceps! He was just missing the red cape.

Weller actually had the sit for that mark too.
We tend to forget that Woody was a state-level high jumper. If you see the height he got when he kicked the winning goal against Sydney early last year you'd notice most guys (even talls) wouldn't have managed to get up that high.

As of 2015 holds the AFL all time record for intercept marks. Beast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back