List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are our thoughts regarding SPP and Acres?

Personally I'd prefer Acres - more skilled and versatile. Given that we have plenty of senior mids taking up centre square time, I think we should be looking at picking up someone who can play a role on a HFF/Wing/HBF while offering a midfield rotation. Acres can do that. I think he has a lot of unrealised potential due to mismanagement and injuries. I also imagine that St Kilda will be more motivated sellers than Port, given their need to acquire picks for their various trade targets. Pick 33 could get it done for Acres, but I doubt it is enough for SPP.

SPP is younger and would offer a point of difference with his aggression, but I think he'd struggle to fit into our game plan because of his poor skills. He's wasteful in front of goal, kicking 10.18 this past season, and gives away two frees for every one he is awarded. There are also the reported off-field issues.
I’d blow my load if we got Acres. Personally think you’re right in regards to unrealised potential he has. Think if there’s anyone to do it, it’ll be eagles who bring the best out in him. Has shown glimpses of absolute quality. Just needs to get a proper crack at one position in the team rather than played as a Mr Fix it like he gets used at the saints

I made a comment of his dual personality over there. He tries his best to act 'polite' on here, then on his board makes an effort to be an absolute campaigner.

My comment was deleted by their mods in a matter of seconds.

To be fair I'm doing similar. I'm being polite and respectful over there but being a campaigner here. Only directed at him(/her/schler) though.

Can't have too many back flankers

While not in the same league as Hurn and Jetta - both are closer to the end than the start of their careers.

Some, at the risk of sending the board into meltdown, we will need to grab a HBF with elite skills by foot. Not sure those on the list at the moment have them. Rotham maybe the exception.

BTW that is not to say Cole, Duggan and Nelson don't contribute - they are role players with the first two named not performing as well last year as they did in 2018.

Apparently now he doesn’t mind going to Freo but prefers us, have a bad feeling about this and now Geelong will play even harder 🤦🏻‍♂️
Don't think those were Kelly's exact words - that's Geelong's take on it - going by other posters Kelly said "that he had no issues with Freo but WCE is his choice of Club???

Just on Brandon Ellis and the Tiges compensation pick.

Apparently the Tiges are miffed with their compensation (according to AFL website).

Well - if they are that miffed. Stump up a comparable contract.
Isn't Ellis' contract the exact same as Lycett? Wouldn't that mean they'd get the same band compo as we did? (end of first round).

Don't think those were Kelly's exact words - that's Geelong's take on it - going by other posters Kelly said "that he had no issues with Freo but WCE was his choice of Club???
He was asked at the airport why he doesnt want to go to freo and he gave a stock standard answer that anyone else would have said. He's not going to say "nup I hate them, I dont want to play there".

Just on Brandon Ellis and the Tiges compensation pick.

Apparently the Tiges are miffed with their compensation (according to AFL website).

Well - if they are that miffed. Stump up a comparable contract.

It seems very similar to what happened to us with Selwood - we declined to match assuming we'd get a decent compensation pick, then got blindsided when the pick was announced. I thought they changed the rules after that so that clubs were aware of what they would get before they decided whether to match, but it doesn't seem like it.

Also, had to laugh at the AFL telling Richmond the Ellis contract was "just short of the points required for Band 2" but not telling them what those points were, how they're calculated or basically anything about them. The secret recipe remains a secret.

It seems very similar to what happened to us with Selwood - we declined to match assuming we'd get a decent compensation pick, then got blindsided when the pick was announced. I thought they changed the rules after that so that clubs were aware of what they would get before they decided whether to match, but it doesn't seem like it.

Also, had to laugh at the AFL telling Richmond the Ellis contract was "just short of the points required for Band 2" but not telling them what those points were, how they're calculated or basically anything about them. The secret recipe remains a secret.

I think (deliberate use of word) Richmond have until tomorrow to match. (?????)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep they changed it. Tigers knew they were getting 2nd round then queried it prior to waiving their right to match.

Tigers have basically no room in the cap (Not surprising with their list) so didn't really have the option of matching.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rather I’m just pointing out that it’s more likely a case that SOME eagles fans are trying to make out that we are the ones at fault for wanting value for a player we drafted only two years ago.

We knocked you out of the finals three weeks ago, and missed finals once in the last 13 years. I’ve been hearing people like you saying we are irrelevant and going to drop off for near on a decade now and it hasn’t happened yet, so don’t hold your breath!
It's one thing wanting value but as Tim is out of contract it's more than likely GFC won't get everything they want and we will give more than what we want. Fair value is the way to go which is somewhere in the middle ie Geelong wants 'A', WCE are willing to give 'C' then a fair trade is done with !B'.

Yep they changed it. Tigers knew they were getting 2nd round then queried it prior to waiving their right to match.

Tigers have basically no room in the cap (Not surprising with their list) so didn't really have the option of matching.

Well Lynch won them a flag so I guess it was worth it.

The same thing happened when the O'Meara trade was done. GC obviously didn't want to lose him, but particularly didn't want him going to the Hawks for obvious reasons. A deal was eventually done albeit at the end of the trade period. GC were being difficult very similar as to how Geelong are behaving now!

So you are comparing Geelong to Gold Coast while playing the role of the calm rational guy? Well played sir!

Last edited:
Well Lynch won them a flag so I guess it was worth it.
Absolutely. Not saying it was a bad choice! Just pointing out that the decision to keep your star players at near market rates (or bring in others) impacts the middle band of players who can't get paid as much as elsewhere.

Tigers copped it with Ellis, we copped it with lycett.

Pretty sure Voss had a "get out" clause on his contract like most assistant coaches.
If they get offered a senior coaching position, they can walk.
I don't think Voss's clause was any different to any other coach. Where the exception was - was with Sammy Mitchell as he left to go to Hawthorn also in an assistant coaching role. WCE did not like it but in the end relented seeing it was for family reasons. As Sammy himself said "he loved being at the Eagles and also would have liked to have stayed, but family came first".

So you are comparing Geelong to Gold Coast while playing the role of the calm rational guy? Well played sir!
Wasn't comparing GC to GFC at all - I was using the similarity of a top player wanting to be traded to a Club who have had success. GC fought tooth and nail for this not to happen (like Geelong are doing now). Where the outgoing Club is on the ladder is irrelevant to this discussion. Just talking about the trade itself.

I'm surprised at how many people on here don't realise how poor SPP's kicking is. Trying to talk about it as if it is just a minor deficiency.😜

He can learn to play within his limits like Pridda did. Play at the coalface and use the handball. We can't rely on winning the ball back in our defensive half now that teams are avoiding Gov.

We can't get our kick mark game going without the ability to intercept the ball because we don't have the capacity to stand up around the contest all game every game. Adding blokes like TK and SPP will help. We'll still try to run the intercept game but when it fails we need hard heads to win the ground ball and distribute to our good ball users to get the kick mark going. The plus side of this is we will look more damaging winning the ball in the middle instead of giving up ground and hoping to win it back in our defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back