The MRA phenomenon - not so new.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Its identity politics.

i.e. because white males are the least oppressed, they somehow can't be oppressed.

The reality is white males can be oppressed, and most are. They just aren't oppressed because they are white males. They're oppressed because the economic system we live under is oppressive by nature.

Don't mind you being empathetic....But can't you just leave the political BS spin out of a single post ffs.

Exactly.

There is an argument my choices contributed to my own negative situation, but the reality is given the age of my child and living in a different city to my ex, I suspect no matter what I did, things likely would of ended up where they did for me regardless....except going the way I did, didn't pay to see lawyers profit from my own misery....inherently a good thing.

As I said, I try to ignore the lunatic fringes on either side, both are complete blights as far as I'm concerned....my issue lies with those members of the left, who seem unable to come to terms with the idea of a how a white, middle class male could possibly have a legitimate grievance within our society...and that however they express it, any man who dares to comment on issues surrounding the family court, CSA etc, must automatically be an rape fantasy consumed, misogynist MRA type....or a secret one, or one living in self denial, or failing that, they are just bitter and angry but they likely deserve to be because they obviously must of been a s**t husband, or a violent husband or a s**t father. Who is now just angry because he musnt be able to get a root. Etc etc.

I am none of those things.

Simply no excuse for people who self identify as being educated, progressive, tolerant, compassionate etc, to then be so incapable of rational even minded thought when it comes to an issue that effects tens of thousands of men across Australia.

The people you are talking about aren't left wing imo. Theyre elitist "social progressives" who have their heads up their arse.

Im all for genuinely progressive values though. Id hazard a guess that some of the issues you mention wuth the family court are more precisely caused by conservatuve values (i.e. the mother is always the preferred parent) rather than progressive ones.

Don't mind you being empathetic....But can't you just leave the political BS spin out of a single post ffs.

It's not untrue though is it?

Yes, men (and yes they are generally white) determine, control and regulate the functions of our society...but does that mean it's therefore impossible for other men to be adversely effected by that same system?

For example, men may often be the dominant income provider within a marriage, and yes women may play a larger role in the raising of children etc, but heaven forbid that marriage falls apart because that's when things gets flipped on there head....being out at work being the primary income earner in the relationship, becomes a large reason why the mother gains primary custody of any children. Being the primary income earner also means in addition to being relegated in value as a parent, you are often the one who must start from financial year zero, whilst the mother can then get re married to a millionaire and live in luxury, whilst you are condemned to spending the rest of your life overworked, in debt, and unable to climb up and improve your lot, because if you do you are financially obligated to provide more money to your ex wife. Who is now with her new hubby on her third luxury overseas holiday for the year....with the child you never get to see - but have to work yourself to death to provide your ex with financial support for....which your ex obviously spends on your child, and not clothes and girls nights.

There is a political element to all of this.

That's the reality.

The people you are talking about aren't left wing imo. Theyre elitist "social progressives" who have their heads up their arse.

Im all for genuinely progressive values though. Id hazard a guess that some of the issues you mention wuth the family court are more precisely caused by conservatuve values (i.e. the mother is always the preferred parent) rather than progressive ones.

My situation never got too court, so I honestly can't offer an opinion on that side of it which isn't probably influenced by second hand anecdotes from mates who may be half talking s**t, and reading hysterical stuff online from the hard edged angry dad type movements.

By all accounts, the family court is getting better though from what i hear. Dads get more of an easy run in terms of access to there children etc. Financial side still a mess though.

It's just a shame the way a whole bunch of issues - MRA's, PUA's have now been mixed in together with issues surrounding fathers rights, the family court, CSA, white ribbon campaign etc etc...so the radical, manhating, third wave feminist brigade and the legalised rape Neo masculinity psycho contingent can wage some kind of perpetual gender war over the Internet.

Shits me

It's just a shame the way a whole bunch of issues - MRA's, PUA's have now been mixed in together with issues surrounding fathers rights, the family court, CSA, white ribbon campaign etc etc...so the radical, manhating, third wave feminist brigade and the legalised rape Neo masculinity psycho contingent can wage some kind of perpetual gender war over the Internet.

Shits me
I think it shits everyone when these extreme people try to identify themselves as 'men's rights' when they are almost entirely anti-female.

Stories like yours give us all hope that blokes who have been through the wringer can still hold balanced views and put the kids interests first.

A mate of mine has put up with horrendous behaviour from his ex, but he can be pretty stubborn and cagey himself at times. He did what you did in relation to payments, but there was a breaking point where he decided that giving more just meant his ex thought she deserved and was owed more. Texts and emails were mainly sob stories about needing more money, while any money she did come into off her own bat went on things like overseas holidays.

But still he doesn't resent the money she has gotten in the past, he has just turned off the extras.

All comes back to the parenting dynamic I reckon....If mum/dad were locked in a power struggle or emotional stand-off, then that s**t is going to be wired into their kids.

Psychologists tell us that we marry the issue we need to face/straighten-out in ourselves. That girls will attempt to fix the Father in her partner, & boys will marry their mother, in search of relationship.

If this is true, & we come from a dysfunctional home, then we seem doomed to repeat those same behavior patterns we have learn't/ inherited.

Needless to say that 'hatred of the other', & 'blaming the other' for one's own issues, is in no way an exclusively male domain...."She/He ruined my life" can become a concrete viewpoint in life; set in stone....

I think it shits everyone when these extreme people try to identify themselves as 'men's rights' when they are almost entirely anti-female.

Stories like yours give us all hope that blokes who have been through the wringer can still hold balanced views and put the kids interests first.

A mate of mine has put up with horrendous behaviour from his ex, but he can be pretty stubborn and cagey himself at times. He did what you did in relation to payments, but there was a breaking point where he decided that giving more just meant his ex thought she deserved and was owed more. Texts and emails were mainly sob stories about needing more money, while any money she did come into off her own bat went on things like overseas holidays.

But still he doesn't resent the money she has gotten in the past, he has just turned off the extras.

Yeah I didn't resent the extra coin I gave either...hand was sort of forced...when we split I found out about the credit card debt the ex had been hiding from me - her card in her name, but given she had sole custody of our daughter, unless I wanted her to deal with the consequences of going down the financial toilet mum would of gone down, I kind of had too.

Resent the lack of acknowledgement that I did that, the personal effect it had on me, and the fact it didn't stop her attempting to alienate me from my child for no other reason besides she seemed to feel like it...you bet.

But yeah, for some reason didn't go down the angry, 'all women are money grubbing whores', path...would actively encourage all other blokes to do there best to do the same. No good can come of it, which is why I chose to steer clear of the dads rights scene. Attended a few 'bbqs' put on by one mob, and found it be a thoroughly toxic, unhealthy, angry, environment...the majority of the blokes there seemed understandably angry, but likely decent blokes who just want to see there kids, but got the sense there were a few real hardline types who were pulling the strings...I suspect the continual ranting about lesbians and feminists kind of tipped me off it wasn't just about seeing more of the kids for those guys.

Drives me nuts to be honest...you have these PUA flogs, and the dark hidden agenda pushing MRA's...behaving like complete morons - and in the case of the latter supposedly working to help fathers...then you get the extreme radical feminist brigade firing back and pushing there own ideological garbage....and its the majority of decent dudes who aren't MRA's who simply want a fair deal and a relationship with there kids, and the kids themselves, who cop the collateral damage coming from these idiots.

All comes back to the parenting dynamic I reckon....If mum/dad were locked in a power struggle or emotional stand-off, then that s**t is going to be wired into their kids.

Psychologists tell us that we marry the issue we need to face/straighten-out in ourselves. That girls will attempt to fix the Father in her partner, & boys will marry their mother, in search of relationship.

If this is true, & we come from a dysfunctional home, then we seem doomed to repeat those same behavior patterns we have learn't/ inherited.

Needless to say that 'hatred of the other', & 'blaming the other' for one's own issues, is in no way an exclusively male domain...."She/He ruined my life" can become a concrete viewpoint in life; set in stone....

Interesting theory about why mates find other mates that one.

Generally not a fan of one size fits all generalisations, but in my case it kind of fits....I was a younger version of my ex father in law apparently - ex mother in law told ex wife she had married her father etc...and for me, mother was an emotional block of ice...so found a wife who I allowed to dominate me and control me like a child.

Interesting stuff.

See my real issue isn't with the crackpots on either end of the crank scale....yes they give me the shits - the MRA types for making blokes look like moronic cavemen, and the third wave feminist brigade for the way they can push overt anti male, anti father bullshit and have there views receive an intellectual and moral legitimacy which wouldn't be afforded if the gender roles were to be reversed...and the way they are able to deflect any criticism of them as sexism and misogyny etc....loathsome people also.

But the ones that s**t me the most to be honest are the ones (often male) that identify as progressive, and tolerant and culturally evolved, who will invariably respond to any man relating a personal issue/raising concerns about areas in which men are affected negatively within society etc, with some mocking, sarcastic, sneering, entirely dismissive retort suggesting they are just some 'awwww yeah middle class white men have it sooooo tough, do you want some cheese with that wine?' etc etc.

Those types of self identifying 'educated and compassionate' people are the ones that infuriate the hell out of me....because I did get screwed by the system, and it's not a self pitying middle class white man whinge or a wine to say it had a massively negative impact on my life.

I gave up everything to my ex wife and had to start completely over again in my mid 30s, because I saw being a doormat and choosing to avoid a court battle etc as being a positive thing for my daughter. I also chose to go the route of a non legally binding, informal co-parenting arrangement with my ex, as opposed to going to mediators and the court to draft a legal one, as I knew my ex's personality and knew she would see such a process as a battle to be won, rather than as an opportunity to compromise and work together in best interests of our child. As a result of that, my ex has been able to do what she wants and maintain complete control - blocking me seeing my child on a whim, dictating the time I see my child, the duration, the environment, the people present etc....and she does these things not because she is acting in interests of our child, but because she is utterly consumed by her need to control, and utter vindictiveness.

And for two years I put up with that, largely as a result of ignorance to my rights and a feeling of disempowerment to do anything about it, and eventually worked myself into clinical depression as a result of all of what she was doing, and the two jobs (85hr weeks) I was working in order to meet her financial demands for fear of her stopping me seeing my child.

And I share this story, not out of a desire for sympathy or pity, or to whine, but because I wanted to illustrate a clear, first hand example of how yes, a middle class white man in this country can have bad s**t happen to them.

So to all the white knights and social progressives out there, who mock and dismiss the idea that a white, middle class man can't possibly have anything to complain about within our society, and any statement to the contrary can simply be dismissed with a sneering roll of the eyes, and a sarcastic comment about 'awwww how hard the middle class white man has it awwww'....or an accusation that you are secretly really just sexist or misogynist or hate women etc...you don't have any idea what your talking about, and I would urge you to remember the old adage about walking a mile in another persons shoes etc.

I have just one thing to say about this:

I have just one thing to say about this:

Oh yes

I've seen that footage in another video.

The young Trump supporting moron was the other highlight.

So young, so passionate, so idealistic, so incredibly dumb.

Would be interesting to see a catch up video of those two thirty years from now.

Yeah I didn't resent the extra coin I gave either...hand was sort of forced...when we split I found out about the credit card debt the ex had been hiding from me - her card in her name, but given she had sole custody of our daughter, unless I wanted her to deal with the consequences of going down the financial toilet mum would of gone down, I kind of had too.

Resent the lack of acknowledgement that I did that, the personal effect it had on me, and the fact it didn't stop her attempting to alienate me from my child for no other reason besides she seemed to feel like it...you bet.

But yeah, for some reason didn't go down the angry, 'all women are money grubbing whores', path...would actively encourage all other blokes to do there best to do the same. No good can come of it, which is why I chose to steer clear of the dads rights scene. Attended a few 'bbqs' put on by one mob, and found it be a thoroughly toxic, unhealthy, angry, environment...the majority of the blokes there seemed understandably angry, but likely decent blokes who just want to see there kids, but got the sense there were a few real hardline types who were pulling the strings...I suspect the continual ranting about lesbians and feminists kind of tipped me off it wasn't just about seeing more of the kids for those guys.

Drives me nuts to be honest...you have these PUA flogs, and the dark hidden agenda pushing MRA's...behaving like complete morons - and in the case of the latter supposedly working to help fathers...then you get the extreme radical feminist brigade firing back and pushing there own ideological garbage....and its the majority of decent dudes who aren't MRA's who simply want a fair deal and a relationship with there kids, and the kids themselves, who cop the collateral damage coming from these idiots.

Firstly, congrats on trying to do the right thing in your circumstances. There are many blokes who would have given up or, to be frank, not cared enough to maintain contact with their daughter.

I wonder about these BBQs you attended. You said that the majority of the blokes there seemed understandably angry, but likely decent blokes who just want to see their kids. Isn't that exactly the type of support you needed? And could you not now give support to to someone in similar circumstances to your own?

And it seems like you would have benefited from some kind of advice early in your separation, whether legal or informal, that would tell you the appropriate split of assets and Child Support payments. It sounds like you gave your ex all your assets, then over the odds with CS too. Let the system do its job.

I think PUA is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, congrats on trying to do the right thing in your circumstances. There are many blokes who would have given up or, to be frank, not cared enough to maintain contact with their daughter.

I wonder about these BBQs you attended. You said that the majority of the blokes there seemed understandably angry, but likely decent blokes who just want to see their kids. Isn't that exactly the type of support you needed? And could you not now give support to to someone in similar circumstances to your own?

And it seems like you would have benefited from some kind of advice early in your separation, whether legal or informal, that would tell you the appropriate split of assets and Child Support payments. It sounds like you gave your ex all your assets, then over the odds with CS too. Let the system do its job.

I think PUA is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Yeah they did and I have kept in contact with one of them as he was a former workmate, but like I said I found the overall atmosphere was dominated by a few loud mouths who I didn't hear mention there kids once...seemed to prefer to just rant about 'dykes', 'feminazis' and how much piss they drank during there last swing on the mines.

They were informal social gatherings put on by a small seperated fathers support group (rather not drop the name) in Perth that my mate invited me too...may of caught them on a couple of bad nights, but dont feel comfortable in those sort of environments, and by that point, i was also kind of over hearing people telling me how much of a bitch my ex was and I should be doing this and that, so decided it wasn't for me.

I have tried to support others if I ever get chatting with another bloke and we get on the topic...my attitude is always be positive, don't go down the angry 'all women are bitches' path, keep your nose clean and keep your txt msgs kind of thing. But as I said, got over talking about it all eventually.

You are totally right that I would of benefitted from advice at the start...unfortunately the sad truth is I was s**t scared of my wife and was too worried about causing a confrontation, and having her stop me seeing my child. Didn't have much of a support network at the time, and also not really confident in dealing with all that stuff...I work, and the partner manages the money, the bills, the phone call making, the day to day stuff, dealing with 'the system'..so yeah I rolled over.

And yes, paid over odds for child support. She had massive credit card debt, and I knew she would go down, and my daughter with her, if I didn't help out...so it was seperate to my CSA payment. But basically twice the amount I was obliged to pay, per fortnight (private collection etc). She also made direct threats that even though the card was hers, as we had been married and it had been used to purchase things we both used, if I didn't pay her the additional money, she would take me to court for it and stop me seeing our daughter. So again, rather than deal with that, I just gave her what she wanted.

Sad, unpleasant period, but you live and learn.

Interesting theory about why mates find other mates that one.

Generally not a fan of one size fits all generalisations, but in my case it kind of fits....I was a younger version of my ex father in law apparently - ex mother in law told ex wife she had married her father etc...and for me, mother was an emotional block of ice...so found a wife who I allowed to dominate me and control me like a child.

Interesting stuff.

Yes, Unfortunately old Freud was on the money with this one....Most blokes are unwilling to deal with their first-line emotions with women, as their first relationship was through & with the mother....We are small & powerless & at her mercy....But that is the point of love & faith & relationship. To be fully open, vulnerable & defenseless; Otherwise full, open & sincere intimacy is not possible.

That is also the whole point behind most feminist theory....That men defend against these feelings & by doing so destroy any hope for true love & intimacy....This splitting off from the body/feelings or 'body armoring' forms in teenage years, so as not to confuse one's burgeoning sexual desires with the mother (Hello Oedipus)....Subsequently, men can feel 'power-less' in the presence of women, as that whole mother/son relationship still exists, buried deep beneath the defensive layers of male ego. D.H Lawrence's 'Sons & Lovers' is the best book on the subject of 'The Mother complex' & the psychic seduction of the Son.

The problem here is some people have given Feminist discourse disproportionate weight, purely on the basis of their own social prejudices (not necessarily experiences). There is a difference between gender specific social critique being useful to bring to light particular social issues or aspects of society that are unjust and that gendered critique being a totalizing description for which all of society can be surmised from. It's because some people hold such views that some people react so aggressively towards MRA's irrespective of the content of their opinions and visa-verse in relation to Feminism.

The two biggest critiques of MRA's i've seen on here are that they're either weak for resorting too self serving identarian politics, which is a critique which exposes ones sexist prejudices about the roles men play in society and the other is to reduce MRA's to the lowest common denominator, as has been done with Feminists.

Identity politics limits or certainly frames our language in such a way as to render a pluralistic and open discussion impossible.

I have tried to support others if I ever get chatting with another bloke and we get on the topic...my attitude is always be positive, don't go down the angry 'all women are bitches' path, keep your nose clean and keep your txt msgs kind of thing. But as I said, got over talking about it all eventually.

That supportive, informal advice by mates or a support group is great but in a marital split you should always get good professional, legal advice. Then, regardless of what course you choose to take, at least you know your options. And the opinion of a third party takes the emotion out of the communications. There is every chance that her legal advisor will be telling her something fairly similar to your own. I've had more female friends go through this and my advice would be just the same.

You are totally right that I would of benefitted from advice at the start...unfortunately the sad truth is I was s**t scared of my wife and was too worried about causing a confrontation, and having her stop me seeing my child. Didn't have much of a support network at the time, and also not really confident in dealing with all that stuff...I work, and the partner manages the money, the bills, the phone call making, the day to day stuff, dealing with 'the system'..so yeah I rolled over.

And yes, paid over odds for child support. She had massive credit card debt, and I knew she would go down, and my daughter with her, if I didn't help out...so it was seperate to my CSA payment. But basically twice the amount I was obliged to pay, per fortnight (private collection etc). She also made direct threats that even though the card was hers, as we had been married and it had been used to purchase things we both used, if I didn't pay her the additional money, she would take me to court for it and stop me seeing our daughter. So again, rather than deal with that, I just gave her what she wanted.

This threat from wives to their husbands seems to be quite common, that they will take action so you won't see your children. What a devastating thing to have to face. I think it amounts to emotional abuse, which in Victoria is supposedly treated as Domestic Violence. But good luck with reporting that to the police.

That supportive, informal advice by mates or a support group is great but in a marital split you should always get good professional, legal advice. Then, regardless of what course you choose to take, at least you know your options. And the opinion of a third party takes the emotion out of the communications. There is every chance that her legal advisor will be telling her something fairly similar to your own. I've had more female friends go through this and my advice would be just the same.

This threat from wives to their husbands seems to be quite common, that they will take action so you won't see your children. What a devastating thing to have to face. I think it amounts to emotional abuse, which in Victoria is supposedly treated as Domestic Violence. But good luck with reporting that to the police.

In hindsight, yes, I should of been more proactive in regards to establishing my legal position.

But you know what they say about hindsight.

I had also been suffering fairly severe depression for probably 12 months by this stage. Horrible, miserable marriage, self worth completely destroyed...but there was a 2 year old involved, I was in my mid 30s, so I felt I had put all my eggs well and truly in the basket unfortunately.

Yeah would never of gone to the police. Ex was a nurse, presents well, speaks well...comes across as a very sweet, educated women...but with the awareness she can use that persona to manipulate people/willingness to use it etc Bad combo. So likely would of come down to a he said/she said and unless you have HD footage of the female saying such things or her literally striking you over the head with an axe...blokes just don't come out on top in those situations with the police I'm afraid.

Another area in which our society simply finds it inconceivable that men could be a victim, with the women or mother acting as the antagonist.

In hindsight, yes, I should of been
Another area in which our society simply finds it inconceivable that men could be a victim, with the women or mother acting as the antagonist.
Really? Inconceivable?

Really? Inconceivable?

As in there are people who simply refuse to believe that domestic violence can be anything but male antagonist/female antagonist etc.

Or they do, but can't personally equate the seriousness of a male recieving verbal, emotional, psychological type abuse from a female spouse etc as being a criminal type behaviour in the same way they would if the perpetrator was a male.

We are conditioned to see females as victims, as powerless...inherently in need of protection from men etc, whilst men are seen as the aggressors, the perpetrators...inherently a potential threat to the female.

Therefore when we are presented with situations which challenge that entrenched logic...many simply cannot accept it.

And many of those who can't wear a police uniform.

Which means they definitely can't comprehend the idea that a male (strong, powerful, perpetrator etc) being verbally, psychologically or emotionally abused by a female (weak, victim, needs to be protected etc) could possibly be a legitimate issue of concern in the same way it would be if the roles were to be reversed.

The problem here is some people have given Feminist discourse disproportionate weight, purely on the basis of their own social prejudices (not necessarily experiences). There is a difference between gender specific social critique being useful to bring to light particular social issues or aspects of society that are unjust and that gendered critique being a totalizing description for which all of society can be surmised from. It's because some people hold such views that some people react so aggressively towards MRA's irrespective of the content of their opinions and visa-verse in relation to Feminism.

The two biggest critiques of MRA's i've seen on here are that they're either weak for resorting too self serving identarian politics, which is a critique which exposes ones sexist prejudices about the roles men play in society and the other is to reduce MRA's to the lowest common denominator, as has been done with Feminists.

Identity politics limits or certainly frames our language in such a way as to render a pluralistic and open discussion impossible.

Yep, well said.

Attempting to couch all social critiques from within a gender narrative perspective, is immediately divisive & too narrow....One blokes' misogyny does not account for all male anger issues.

Every individuals psychic dynamic, as it takes root in the formative years, is different....Even though we can form generalized concepts & principles founded upon shared human experience & derived from basic psychic archetypes; The arrangements of theses factors in the formation of complexes within individuals; in their becoming 'skewed', are many & various.

Women equally share in human complexes, with a menagerie of 'father-issues' to parallel those found in men....The pathos & electricity generated by these 'polar opposites' is the source of all the friction at the heart of gender issues. Of feelings of power & powerlessness in the face of the mother & the father.

Women cannot deny that along with their new found freedoms & independence, alot of anger towards the repressive, rule-governing father, & men in general, is being released, expressed & 'let go of'.

There’s lot of literature on how socially extremist groups — such as men’s rights or white supremacy — exploit young men whose lives are in turmoil, their beliefs in conflict. Spreading Misandry was a recruitment piece and I was an easy target.
https://features.wearemel.com/i-was-a-men-s-rights-activist-55a0d2eb6052#.tiziyy9sh

I saw this article and thought of the SRP.

I don't know why I thought it would get some decent discussion, but one more roll of the dice can't hurt, can it?

So, is the whole MRA thing an extremist movement exploiting young (and old) men who are facing big life changes? When you think about it, university, job-seeking, belief-seeking, divorce and so on are big upheavals in a person's life. This is where the extremist groups can slip their emotion-based belief systems past the defences of people who think of themselves as rational human beings.

The idea that it isn't just a temporary upheaval, but the world really is stacked against you, can be appealing for people in mental turmoil looking for a solid moral footing. People looking for plain answers to explain emotionally complex situations.

These situations mainly require an objective examination that can almost only ever be done after the passage of sufficient time has dulled the emotional wounds and shed light on uncertainties. Burying oneself in dodgy ideology in order to avoid reality seems to be a big problem with humans.

I read a little bit of The Myth of Male Power by Warren Farrell, and I adopted this rhetorical trick many men’s rights activists employ: “I’m not a feminist and I’m not a men’s rights activist,” I would say. “I’m an egalitarian.”​

I do really appreciate you bringing this up for discussion. Rosie batty is a classic example of being attracted to extremist groups after an experience that caused upheaval in her life.

As in there are people who simply refuse to believe that domestic violence can be anything but male antagonist/female antagonist etc.

Or they do, but can't personally equate the seriousness of a male recieving verbal, emotional, psychological type abuse from a female spouse etc as being a criminal type behaviour in the same way they would if the perpetrator was a male.
I am sure that attitude does exist in some people.

You generalized it to the whole of society.

I do really appreciate you bringing this up for discussion. Rosie batty is a classic example of being attracted to extremist groups after an experience that caused upheaval in her life.
Really? Which particular group and what are its extremist views?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back