The negative gearing election

Remove this Banner Ad

I still prefer indexation since it is much fairer for both sides. A flat discount can be unfair.

I agree, but it's also a lot more complex. People complain about the complexity of the tax system all the time, and in a vast majority of cases, the system is complex for a reason - and that's to make it fairer.

If you want to make tax simple, it's almost inevitable that you're going to open up some big loopholes.

What bullshit. The average rate of inflation for the last 30 years (which I picked simply because that's when CGT came in) is 3.4%. 3% is, if anything, conservative. Over the same period, house prices increased on average by 7% per year. But i'm guessing you're not too concerned about facts here, you've made your conclusion and no fact is going to change it.
The RBA's target inflation is 2-3%, so why would you assume the highest end of that? As has been repeatedly stated by many, it's also a low-interest period, while your arbitrary look at "the last 30 years" includes interest rates as high as 17%. Of course house prices will rise far more in a low-interest period, so it was predictable that 50% would be far more generous than inflation. Why else do you think they changed it? There's no point changing it if it will just effectively keep the status quo.

So don't try and claim I'm not concerned about the facts. You are doing jiggery-pokery with numbers to try and make it look reasonable, rather than noting that the changes helped over-heat the market and cost us billions in revenue.

The RBA's target inflation is 2-3%, so why would you assume the highest end of that? As has been repeatedly stated by many, it's also a low-interest period, while your arbitrary look at "the last 30 years" includes interest rates as high as 17%. Of course house prices will rise far more in a low-interest period, so it was predictable that 50% would be far more generous than inflation. Why else do you think they changed it? There's no point changing it if it will just effectively keep the status quo.

So don't try and claim I'm not concerned about the facts. You are doing jiggery-pokery with numbers to try and make it look reasonable, rather than noting that the changes helped over-heat the market and cost us billions in revenue.

Dude, i've got no interest in promoting some sort of agenda here, i'm only interested in the actual cause and effect. If I thought the discount actually inflated house prices i'd say so. And even in saying that, i'm happy to be convinced. But given the discount is almost certainly more favourable to shares as an investment than property (at least at the time of investment), I just can't see this link between it and high property prices. If anything it's just going to drive people into shares.

Meanwhile you probably made your mind up well before you looked at any sort of statistical analysis.

Dude, i've got no interest in promoting some sort of agenda here, i'm only interested in the actual cause and effect. If I thought the discount actually inflated house prices i'd say so. And even in saying that, i'm happy to be convinced. But given the discount is almost certainly more favourable to shares as an investment than property (at least at the time of investment), I just can't see this link between it and high property prices. If anything it's just going to drive people into shares.

Meanwhile you probably made your mind up well before you looked at any sort of statistical analysis.
No, it just makes sense. The government actively encouraged people into property. They even ran an election on 'interest rates will always be lower under a Liberal Government'. They did this in many ways. CGT discount and a first home owners grant foremost amongst them. Whatever your opinion of shares (which are less likely to go up in value as consistently as property) you haven't actually made an argument yet that says the CGT discount isn't a big influence. You've said that the discount would've been about the same when it abso-freaking-lutely has been far more generous.

Howard's changes came in Sep 1999... Hmm I wonder if there was an influence:

janda-graph-2-data.png

473.jpg

No, it just makes sense.

To you, who shows answer first and workings second. You're not going to post any wall of text, chart, data etc. unless it supports your pre-existing narrative.

janda-graph-2-data.png

Looks like a fairly linear trend over a 20 year period. I'm guessing you think it would've just hovered around 7/8% forever if not for a Liberal govt?

If you want to go after housing affordability, have a crack at the FHOG.

Looks like a fairly linear trend over a 20 year period. I'm guessing you think it would've just hovered around 7/8% forever if not for a Liberal govt?

If you want to go after housing affordability, have a crack at the FHOG.
I did have a crack at the FHOG and have done repeatedly in this thread.

And I knew someone was going to try and claim a 'linear trend'! It is a percentage graph. Just as the second graph is of an index. There is no expectation of gradual rises as you would get on a graph that doesn't take into account population changes or inflation, for example. Both those graphs are rising because the situation has changed. More and more people are negatively gearing as they see how profitable it is. More and more billions are lost in tax revenue.

I did have a crack at the FHOG and have done repeatedly in this thread.

And I knew someone was going to try and claim a 'linear trend'! It is a percentage graph. Just as the second graph is of an index. There is no expectation of gradual rises as you would get on a graph that doesn't take into account population changes or inflation, for example. Both those graphs are rising because the situation has changed. More and more people are negatively gearing as they see how profitable it is. More and more billions are lost in tax revenue.

I can see it is a percentage graph, it is still a linear trend from 1994-2013. Is something that happened in 1999 the cause?

'The situation has changed' is meaningless. A lot of things have changed since 1999. More people have been investing into real estate (which is indeed wastefully non-productive) because more people have been investing...

I can see it is a percentage graph, it is still a linear trend from 1994-2013. Is something that happened in 1999 the cause?

'The situation has changed' is meaningless. A lot of things have changed since 1999. More people have been investing into real estate (which is indeed wastefully non-productive) because more people have been investing...
Since '94? Hmm, I'm thinking if that graph started anywhere you'd draw a line from one end to the other and say there's a trend. Because what we can all see is there's a slight dip from 96 to 97 and then a larger one from 97 to 98. June 99 had it recovering to 97 levels before it breaks through 8% and goes up and up and up post-Howard's changes. As it should do, because Howard has just made it economically much more profitable to negatively gear through his CGT changes. The FHBG comes in one year later - June 2000 and we see another huge jump. There isn't a trend downwards after Howard's CGT changes.

Remember this isn't people just 'investing' as you would expect to increase as we became richer. This is people reporting a net rental loss - neg gearing. The way to make a loss-making enterprise make money is for the capital gains to outweigh that. The CGT discount changed the math on that hugely.

Power Raid did. In any case any/everything has multiple causes, would be a crazy argument to make for a single cause.
I don't think the CGT Discount would have much impact on property prices. I've said that it is generous and said that some property investors could be negatively gearing hoping for a capital gain but I doubt this has put much pressure on housing prices compared to the other causes such as land being released slowly, foreign investors and the lot.

I don't think the CGT Discount would have much impact on property prices. I've said that it is generous and said that some property investors could be negatively gearing hoping for a capital gain but I doubt this has put much pressure on housing prices compared to the other causes such as land being released slowly, foreign investors and the lot.
I'm just telling you what the metrics say. Structural break from the CGT discount. Obviously it isn't the biggest factor though. Interest rates being in the basement and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power Raid did. In any case any/everything has multiple causes, would be a crazy argument to make for a single cause.

Did he? I think his argument all along has been that it's not just CGT.

Interest rates and increased incomes have played their part along with population growth, foreign investment and inefficiencies in town planning.

I think it's a contributing factor but I wouldn't have it as #1.

Australians are conditioned to 'property always goes up' and property being an essentially 'free' investment due to negative gearing nibbling at short term losses and wage inflation eating them up medium to long term. Every generation gets richer off the next one.

CGT concession is great, but buy and sell is such a small part of the game. It's all about owning as much as you can. I'd be all for CGT concession if it encouraged turnover but it doesn't. People are income averse and asset driven. Why sell a house for $500k profit and pay 48% tax on half of it when you can stockpile houses and sell them off one by one at a later date spread over different financial years?

No govt state or federal has given two shits about housing affordability as long as I've been voting and I can't see that changing any time soon. Affordability is a function of supply and demand. You don't make something more affordable by restricting supply then promoting demand.

Why sell a house for $500k profit and pay 48% tax on half of it when you can stockpile houses and sell them off one by one at a later date spread over different financial years?
I think you've forgotten to put in that "a later date" would be when someone is not working as much (or at all). That way they get both the advantage of only pay tax on half the profit (if Howard's CGT discount is still in place) and the half they get taxed on would be taxed like normal income - i.e. they'd get lower tax as it wouldn't be added to their salary income. Of course if you were to change the CGT rule a lot of people might decide to sell to take advantage of the 50% rule while they could, and under Labor's proposal you would have got a bunch of people trying to buy to get in to negative gearing before that advantage was removed so supply-and-demand could be somewhat evened out there.

I think you've forgotten to put in that "a later date" would be when someone is not working as much (or at all). That way they get both the advantage of only pay tax on half the profit (if Howard's CGT discount is still in place) and the half they get taxed on would be taxed like normal income - i.e. they'd get lower tax as it wouldn't be added to their salary income. Of course if you were to change the CGT rule a lot of people might decide to sell to take advantage of the 50% rule while they could, and under Labor's proposal you would have got a bunch of people trying to buy to get in to negative gearing before that advantage was removed so supply-and-demand could be somewhat evened out there.

Yeah, I know how it works... hence you sell them one at a time.

http://www.alp.org.au/negativegearing

No retrospective tax changes
Labor recognises that Australians make financial decisions in good faith on the tax arrangements in place at the time.

While making change to the tax system to improve fairness is a policy objective of Labor, it must be done without negative retrospective impacts on existing investments. This same approach was taken by Labor the announcement policy to curb generous and excessive tax concessions for high income superannuation accounts.

So if I bought a house anytime between 1999 and today because I'm entitled to a 50% CGT discount and to offset any losses against my personal income tax how would Labor's plan affect me exactly?

So if I bought a house anytime between 1999 and today because I'm entitled to a 50% CGT discount and to offset any losses against my personal income tax how would Labor's plan affect me exactly?
Neither would affect you. However, if they change the 50% CGT Discount change to be retrospective then it would affect you.

No, it just makes sense. The government actively encouraged people into property. They even ran an election on 'interest rates will always be lower under a Liberal Government'. They did this in many ways. CGT discount and a first home owners grant foremost amongst them. Whatever your opinion of shares (which are less likely to go up in value as consistently as property) you haven't actually made an argument yet that says the CGT discount isn't a big influence. You've said that the discount would've been about the same when it abso-freaking-lutely has been far more generous.

Based on what though? Longer term, house prices usually go up about double the inflation rate. Given property is generally a long term investment, it's a thoroughly reasonable basis.

But your common sense says otherwise????

janda-graph-2-data.png

473.jpg

Not sure what you're trying to prove here....investment in pretty much all asset classes has skyrocketed. Which is a result of people being generally wealthier combined with compulsory superannuation. That doesn't prove a link with the CGT discount.

Based on what though? Longer term, house prices usually go up about double the inflation rate. Given property is generally a long term investment, it's a thoroughly reasonable basis.

But your common sense says otherwise????
No, mate. Based on what actually happened. Not based on your invented numbers. Go check out the inflation rate. Go check out how much house prices have risen. Then get back to me.
Not sure what you're trying to prove here....investment in pretty much all asset classes has skyrocketed. Which is a result of people being generally wealthier combined with compulsory superannuation. That doesn't prove a link with the CGT discount.
So the fact that twice as many people are negatively gearing now is not because negatively gearing has gotten a much better ROI thanks to the discount?

I guess it's my turn to ask you if your theory is based on something or just because "your common sense says otherwise"?

No, mate. Based on what actually happened. Not based on your invented numbers. Go check out the inflation rate. Go check out how much house prices have risen. Then get back to me.

Inflation since 1999 has been on average 3% per year. (funnily enough the same number you objected me to using in the first place). I don't have the property price increase since then. Probably depends significantly on which city you're in.

So the fact that twice as many people are negatively gearing now is not because negatively gearing has gotten a much better ROI thanks to the discount?

I guess it's my turn to ask you if your theory is based on something or just because "your common sense says otherwise"?

It's based on actual figures. I agree that negative gearing is extremely likely to have had an effect on property prices. The discount? Still can't see it, because the difference between using indexation for most property sales is likely negligible.

Out of interest, you don't think that people having significantly more money to invest might cause a greater investment in property as well?

And you are aware that pre 1985 there was zero tax on capital gains? Property prices must have gone through the freaking roof!

Inflation since 1999 has been on average 3% per year. (funnily enough the same number you objected me to using in the first place). I don't have the property price increase since then. Probably depends significantly on which city you're in.
No, it hasn't. 2.7% is the correct figure. That would be rounded down if you are looking to round it? Although obviously given the relatively small movements with inflation it's odd to round it. Also 1999 itself was higher, and given the changes came in Sep 1999, you can use the RBA inflation calculator from 2000 to work out that the average now is 2.6%. Or if you look at the trend at the time to see what may have prompted Howard you can look at inflation in his first term 96-99. It was 0.9%. Of course, like you did a page ago, they could see that inflation was much higher in the past and despite the clear downward trend, they claimed those high years as part of a long-term average to justify their 50% discount that would provide the windfalls to come.
It's based on actual figures. I agree that negative gearing is extremely likely to have had an effect on property prices. The discount? Still can't see it, because the difference between using indexation for most property sales is likely negligible.

Out of interest, you don't think that people having significantly more money to invest might cause a greater investment in property as well?

And you are aware that pre 1985 there was zero tax on capital gains? Property prices must have gone through the freaking roof!
It's about the accumulation of advantages. You are earning a lot of money. You buy your house in a popular area (inner city in a capital city), and get the tax advantages of negative gearing while getting a guaranteed 50% of the sale value tax-free. As Scotland stated, by selling in a year when you aren't working or post-retirement you will also be low taxed on the other 50%. Or perhaps gift some money to a relative who's a first home buyer and get a cash bonus, plus when they sell it, it will be in their name and due to their low income they will be taxed less than you would've been. And they can neg gear it if it's an investment house too, as it very often was when people did this. Plus of course the govt saying to new buyers 'here's some free cash' encouraged more people into the market to better ensure the capital gains for those who were investing...

When we talk about housing affordability, it's generally about the 'great Australian dream' to own a house. People don't pay CGT on their primary residence. It, along with neg gearing, only applies to investment properties.

All the power of these investment perks should be quarantined into encouraging new builds, to create supply, to stop the bubble getting bigger. Their existence in the existing property market just drives up prices which makes people think investing in housing will be a great return, which drives up prices, and the cycle continues. Labor's policy encourages new builds, and takes heat out of the overall market. It also removes a big part of the tax minimisation that has cost us billions per year, while channeling boom-time revenues into pre-existing bricks and mortar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back