The official 2011/12 nPower Championship thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hammers should have auto promotion with our squad. Better get up through the play offs.

I'm seriously going to check the odds on us not getting through and piling money on it, because we will find a way to **** it up, the same way we've found a way to **** things up enough to put us in a playoff position in the first place.

Referees really are horrible at this level. Hines had to receive a second booking there!

Anyway still 1-1, 60 mins gone. This half has been all Saints. Doesn't mean much if we don't take one of the chances & they get us on the break

Boro win 2-1.

I thought we were the better team in the second half but lost to a great free kick.

Things could have been different had the referee not bizarrely chosen to not send off Hines for a second bookable offence. But that's lower league refs for you.

This game was always going to be tricky, especially with Cardiff leaving the door open for Boro to make the playoffs.

Equation is pretty simple now. If West Ham fail to win both games we go up. If they win both games and we beat Coventry we go up. If they win both games & we draw it comes down to goal difference.

I feel sick.

Boro win 2-1.

I thought we were the better team in the second half but lost to a great free kick.

Things could have been different had the referee not bizarrely chosen to not send off Hines for a second bookable offence. But that's lower league refs for you.

This game was always going to be tricky, especially with Cardiff leaving the door open for Boro to make the playoffs.

Equation is pretty simple now. If West Ham fail to win both games we go up. If they win both games and we beat Coventry we go up. If they win both games & we draw it comes down to goal difference.

I feel sick.

Would have been a harsh red as Hines got all ball. Boro prolong the agony...can Cardiff really choke for a 16th season in succession??? Doubt it :)

Very happy with Blackpool's 4-0 win over Burnley. Really ramping up form for the play-offs. Holloway with have the squad roaring for the first final.

Still need to make sure we at least get a point in the final match to ensure we remain in the play-offs. Would rather face Birmingham first than West Ham.

Because it is.

Win tonight and it's two points going into the last game. By my calculations that's not over. If you can take it out our hands and lose or draw that would be awesome but it's not going to happen. We've given you a sniff now. Middlesbrough were terrific last night after Cardiff failed to slam the playoff door shut the night before.

We've got Coventry at home in the last game which is a good one on paper but anything can happen. As they are already relegated they've got nothing to lose so won't sit back and defend like they would have if it was mid-season.

You forgot to add that if West Ham win both and Sourhampton lose than the Hammers are up.

I did. It's too scary to contemplate but entirely possible.

Would have been a harsh red as Hines got all ball. Boro prolong the agony...can Cardiff really choke for a 16th season in succession??? Doubt it :)

He did get the ball. But it's also a challenge from behind where he's followed and got the man. They are generally penalised these days. Besides, once the decision has been made the ref had no alternative but to send him off. The ref squibbed it, which is why he's not officiating at a higher level.

Anyway it's over now. Well played.

Let's go Foxes!

it was as blatant of a yellow card as you're ever going to see.
brought the player down from behind who was advancing on goal.
not a straight red because of the covering defender but 100% with every referee, on every day of the week it's a yellow card.... but apparently not on this day, with this referee.

Adkins really is a class act. Any other manager would have whinged about Hines not being sent off, and justifiably so. But Adkins just gave credit to Boro. Really hope they go up tonight.

As for the Hines challenge, he probably scraped the ball, but that's irrelevant if you come from behind and bring the player down. He's a very lucky boy. Had no idea with Fonte was complaining about for the free kick that led to the winner though.

Pretty happy with the way this season has panned out. This squad will struggle in the Premier League though, I think Saints style is a better fit at the top level. Will need to make some astute signings in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wondering what the commentators were on about with Hines. Thought they were saying it should have been red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Didnt reslise he'd already been booked. That was a yellow any day of the week and he should have been off.

I was wondering what the commentators were on about with Hines. Thought they were saying it should have been red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Didnt reslise he'd already been booked. That was a yellow any day of the week and he should have been off.
I think they were arguing it could've been a straight red. (think we would've had the same commentary as you)

That part is wrong because he was outside the box and had a couple of players with him. No one in front of him but not quite a last man back/denying a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' thing.

that said, what constitutes a clear opportunity anyway?

1-1 draw at Brighton see us into the Playoffs, a remarkable result for Blues this season when most of us were just hoping to avoid another relegation after all the turmoil at the club following relegation.

Everyone seems to be forgetting about us in the Playoff picture and that's the way I like it. Chris Hughton has done an unbelievably good job so far, can he now complete the miracle ...

1-1 draw at Brighton see us into the Playoffs, a remarkable result for Blues this season when most of us were just hoping to avoid another relegation after all the turmoil at the club following relegation.

Everyone seems to be forgetting about us in the Playoff picture and that's the way I like it. Chris Hughton has done an unbelievably good job so far, can he now complete the miracle ...

Looks like our teams will come up against each other first up. BIG prize on offer.

Despite going in front, that was a pretty poor effort by Leicester. Perhaps I'm a little harsh considering they lost King and Wellens in the first half but they really offered nothing for the 90 minutes.

From our perspective it was probably a relief that West Ham didn't score more goals. Our goal difference advantage remains at 3 (or 4 considering we've scored more goals), so it means a draw could be all we need. But being the last day and when you're playing against sides with nothing to play for, you really don't know what you are going to get from your opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back