The official 2011/12 nPower Championship thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Only positive mate is that you gave a second chance at getting promoted yourselves and the magic that comes with that.
Better than getting promoted in a game between two other teams....

That's true. The scenes at St Mary's when we were promoted last season were amazing. Getting promoted the EPL will be something else. The problem is actually making it happen. If the Hammers are banging in the goals and we're sitting 0-0 or 0-1 after 60 mins, the nerves amongst the crowd will be impossible to hide and this will surely affect the players.

Anyway as I sit here fruitlessly attempting to do some school work, I can't decide whether to go the G and take my mind off tonights games, or stay home and watch both on TV. As I'm so nervous I'm learning towards the former and watching St Kilda vs Melbourne. Whatever happens at St Mary's and Upton Park will happen.

Here's a quick run down on what tonight means:

AUTOMATIC PROMOTION

- Reading have been promoted as champions
- Southampton win = Saints go up
- Southampton draw and West Ham fail to win by 4 goals = Saints go up
- Southampton draw and West Ham win by at least 4 goals = Hammers go up
- Southampton lose and West Ham win = Hammers go up

PLAYOFFS

- The first spot is taken by West Ham/Southampton
- Blackpool and Birmingham are guaranteed a playoff spot irrespective of results tonight but can finish anywhere from 4th to 6th
- If Cardiff win or draw they will finish in the playoffs. Depending on other results could finish as high as 4th
- If Cardiff lose and Middlesbrough win, Boro will take the last remaining place

RELEGATION

- Portsmouth, Coventry and Doncaster Rovers have been relegated from the league

Therefore the vital games tonight are:

12:30 Southampton ? - ? Coventry C.
12:30 West Ham U. ? - ? Hull C.
12:30 Crystal Palace ? - ? Cardiff C.
12:30 Watford ? - ? Middlesbrough

These games will effect the final finishing positions in the playoffs:

12:30 Birmingham C. ? - ? Reading
12:30 Millwall ? - ? Blackpool

Good luck to everyone tonight.

Saints-Coventry, West ham- Hull and Palace-Cardiff are all on fox sports at 9:30.

Should be a cracking night of football :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the board every weekend, but rarely post and have to say, did actually think of Sainter when I saw they were up.

Has been die hard loyal all the way through the darkest periods :thumbsu:

Second that.

Despite obvious different allegiances, always great to see passionate fans that have been through the ups and downs have a little joy. Congrats Sainter look forward to a few more derbies in the (i hope) near future.

I'll be barracking for blackpool in the playoffs, but as long as it's not big Sam I'm happy.

Can someone tell me why West Ham formed a conga line around Boleyn last night when it was pretty clear Soton had it wrapped up.

Stoked for the Saints, and for Sainter.

I too was confused by the random conga. The fans behind them were having a laugh though.

Congrats to Sainter and any Reading fans...It was an exciting season! Boro probably did a bit better than expected, but after a great start to the season it's still a bit disappointing to miss out by 1 spot.

Good luck to the fans with teams in the play offs...I hate Fat Sam but think their form at the moment should take them through. Probably going for Blackpool just because I hate the other three teams more :D

Bring on 12/13 :thumbsu:

Thanks for the comments. You've all had to put up with a lot of my crap over the past few years so I appreciate it. :thumbsu:

I have to admit it wasn't until the third goal went in that I could truly enjoy the game.

It's been a long seven years and with the competitiveness and evenness of the Championship there's always that fear that you'll be stuck there forever.

A great deal of appreciation needs to go to Markus Liebherr for buying the club when all seemed hopeless, chairman Nicola Cortese for alerting Liebherr to our situation and running the club ever since, and Nigel Adkins who has been amazingingly positive and fully deserves the opportunity to manage an EPL team.

The playoffs will be fantastic because anything can happen and usually does. Here's my quick summary:

West Ham will deservedly go in favourites. They've got the best squad in the league and if they put it all together should go through. The tactic of buying 1 million strikers was effective because it ensures that at least two will be in form by the end of the season. At the moment its Vaz Te and Carlton Cole. :p But in all seriousness they are seriously talented, the manager knows how to get a team promoted and they have the experience to rebound quickly from the disappointment of not going up automatically.

Birmingham were correctly identified as the dark horses by Peter Beagrie yesterday. When you consider the financial troubles which has caused them to slash their wage bill, combined with their Europa League committments, they've been tremendous. Even in Janauary they lost Jean Beausejour to Wigan despite publicly declaring that he wanted to stay. Massive credit needs to go to Chris Hughton for what he's done. And he has recent history in getting a team promoted to the Premier League. Respect.

Blackpool have been a little up and down but when playing well they have the ability to play any team in the division off the park. Holloway has them play an attractive style of football that you can not fail to enjoy. They also have that little weasel Kevin Phillips who has made a career out of scoring the big goals at the right time. The recent signing of Stephen Dobbie has strengthened them. If they click, beware.

Cardiff are the final team and they firstly need to be respected because they finished sixth. Past history suggests 6th placed teams do go up. I think Malky Mackay deserves a lot of credit because he took over the club at a time where they lost a lot of players and he's been forced to rebuild on limited funds. As they're a team that has perhaps unfairly been labelled as chokers, coming in as the underdogs might suit them down to the ground.

I'm not really going out on a limb but I think West Ham will beat Birmingham 2-1 at Wembley.

Good luck if your team is involved. And if your team isn't, you'd be mad not to watch. The drama in the playoffs is extraordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back