Toast The Official Bailey Banfield Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see this banners appreciation thriving. Remember getting crucified last year even for supporting him and having to justify myself. All the elements in his game that is serving him well now was evident previously. Just he wasn't being used well based on his strength eg third tall and lack of opportunities

One of Hughes or Draper makes way for Chapman in a couple of weeks. Depends on the match ups I suppose.

Tabs is there for the foreseeable future though. At least until Darcy returns and Jackson can play forward more.

Banfield is legit best 22 on current form.
I think Chappy will have to come back through Peel. I don't see him as an instant senior side player just yet.
Until Tabs has a shocker, if he does, he is safe.

Good to see this banners appreciation thriving. Remember getting crucified last year even for supporting him and having to justify myself. All the elements in his game that is serving him well now was evident previously. Just he wasn't being used well based on his strength eg third tall and lack of opportunities
His versatility is what makes him so important to the team .Mid , forward, wing, back. Makes for a good mix.

One of Hughes or Draper makes way for Chapman in a couple of weeks. Depends on the match ups I suppose.

Tabs is there for the foreseeable future though. At least until Darcy returns and Jackson can play forward more.

Banfield is legit best 22 on current form.

The first question with Chapman is that I want him 100% match fit. At least a good solid 4 quarter run at Peel. Don’t need to rush him back. Hughes & Draper are going well (could I say both improving weekly), and as such, should only be dropped when Chapman shows he is in better form.

Banfield is a bloody good “foot soldier”, in a lot of way’s like Matt De Boer. He is the team’s technician, call him in to reconnect the blown system.

The first question with Chapman is that I want him 100% match fit. At least a good solid 4 quarter run at Peel. Don’t need to rush him back. Hughes & Draper are going well (could I say both improving weekly), and as such, should only be dropped when Chapman shows he is in better form.

Banfield is a bloody good “foot soldier”, in a lot of way’s like Matt De Boer. He is the team’s technician, call him in to reconnect the blown system.
I don't expect Chapman to fly to Adelaide, so he should have two weeks at Peel before the Derby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really tried hard today
Yeh liking his high fwd/wing role now..gets him into the game more and bobs up to kick few goals. Also provides an outlet

Seem to have run himself ragged in the first quarter..

Was bit peeved when Jag didn't pass to him when he was alone, but he then bought the ball to ground where sharp kicked the goal

Think he is firmly in the side now

Full credit. Happy to put my hand up and will say I thought we would be going nowhere while BB was in the 22. He’s clearly worked his behind off every year he’s been on the list -despite being a perpetual sub / on a rookie contract and has announced himself as a bonafide AFL grade role player.

Full credit. Happy to put my hand up and will say I thought we would be going nowhere while BB was in the 22. He’s clearly worked his behind off every year he’s been on the list -despite being a perpetual sub / on a rookie contract and has announced himself as a bonafide AFL grade role player.
Well said.

As Footskills points out, he’s not suited to the role of third tall forward, which he was thrust into in previous years (and where many of us formed our opinions of him - myself included).

He’s always had the smarts to know how to find space and he’s a hard worker (I loved that handball-knock down that led to Emmett’s goal in the first).

Now he also looks - dare i say it - classy with the ball in hand too.

He may get pushed out if we ever get close to our best 23 available, but for now he is more than holding his place in the team.

I’m loving his work this season!

Well said.

As Footskills points out, he’s not suited to the role of third tall forward, which he was thrust into in previous years (and where many of us formed our opinions of him - myself included).

He’s always had the smarts to know how to find space and he’s a hard worker (I loved that handball-knock down that led to Emmett’s goal in the first).

Now he also looks - dare i say it - classy with the ball in hand too.

He may get pushed out if we ever get close to our best 23 available, but for now he is more than holding his place in the team.

I’m loving his work this season!
Yes. Think that is his strength is finding that space or reading where the drop of ball will be.

Think previously he was bit concerned of finding that perfect pass and perhaps hanging onto the ball a fraction too late and getting caught. Also his pressure and tackling has improved. His delivery to fwds have been sublime. Check last year and also last week to amiss on the lead

Few interesting posts is ppl complaining about fwds not taking ownership of kicking the goals. I recall so many used to say banners was selfish for having shots on goal lol

Stop what you're doing and GET AROUND MY BUDDY!!!

No shock here.

For those not just focused on errors (should the last two shots on goal at least scored a point, perhaps. But they were not gimme goals. Others miss from direct in front no angle and nothing made of it) in last game and hate on him any chance they get, it would be surprising

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back