2nds The Official Port Board Thread for the Discussion of the Port Power Seconds Team

Remove this Banner Ad

... One of the HKFC guys, a PAFC Member with two Port-mad lads in AUSKICK HK, has an interest in HARRY'S BAR, 12 Grenfell Street - which we aim to make one of the PAFC In-Town Taverns ....
Sounds good. Not too close to the ground to be packed out.

We are likely to end up with 46 players on our list including all Rookie categories. Given a reasonable injury run, we might only need 4-6 Magpie top up players. The question is, where do the excess 6-9 Magpie sign-on players play?

We are likely to end up with 46 players on our list including all Rookie categories. Given a reasonable injury run, we might only need 4-6 Magpie top up players. The question is, where do the excess 6-9 Magpie sign-on players play?

They play in the Academy side in the SANFL reserves. Its the academy kids ( ie 18-22 year olds ) who will have to find a new home during the year if only 4 of the 15 players are regularly playing in the Magpies A grade side in the SANFL if the Power has a great run with lack of injuries again in 2014.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/news.php?news_id=1066

2. Port Adelaide SANFL League (playing as the Magpies and retaining our traditional guernsey)
This team is made up of those players not selected for the AFL team each week and members from a pool of 15 contracted SANFL-only players. As of today the SANFL has allowed us to contract players to this list without an age-cap. In return, the salary cap for these players has been significantly reduced.

3. Port Adelaide SANFL Reserves (also as the Magpies and wearing the traditional guernsey)
From 2014 onwards this team will be our elite talent academy made up largely of 18-22 year old players. Our pool of 15 League-contracted players will be able to play at this level.

4. A series of youth development academies including a country and indigenous development program, an international player pathway, a father/son academy (much like those used by Victorian AFL clubs) and a metropolitan development program.

If Maggie's (sic) make GF next season, can they play Foxtel cup the following year?
If the Maggies (or the Cows-lite) make the SANFL GF in the 1st year of this set-up the SANFL and 8 clubs will be on suicide watch. Hopefully not too efficiently.

If the Maggies (or the Cows-lite) make the SANFL GF in the 1st year of this set-up the SANFL and 8 clubs will be on suicide watch. Hopefully not too efficiently.

Which is likely to happen. As I wrote a few pages back in this thread the Magpies, crows and centrals are probably going to be the top 3 sides, especially if the 2 AFL sides have very few injuries.

Norwood and West have lost blokes who have played 200 games in the AFL as defenders. They have been replaced these defensive coaches with a full forward and ruckman so they wont be the defensive giants they have been the last 2 years. Francou left, so North will take time to play Mcgregor's style. They have all lost players in the draft and players to Port and crows reserve sides. The Eagles have great depth but they have lost 15 players to Port and the crows and had 4 drafted on Thursday. How many players did Sturt lose to the crows - 9? South and Glenelg - good luck to Brad Gotch and nick Stevens they have their work cut out.

It's usually more efficient to ask questions here!!
Presumed somebody would have asked already

It changes year by year. They haven't even announced if they will have one in 2014 and what the conditions are.

They play in the Academy side in the SANFL reserves. Its the academy kids ( ie 18-22 year olds ) who will have to find a new home during the year if only 4 of the 15 players are regularly playing in the Magpies A grade side in the SANFL if the Power has a great run with lack of injuries again in 2014.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/news.php?news_id=1066

2. Port Adelaide SANFL League (playing as the Magpies and retaining our traditional guernsey)
This team is made up of those players not selected for the AFL team each week and members from a pool of 15 contracted SANFL-only players. As of today the SANFL has allowed us to contract players to this list without an age-cap. In return, the salary cap for these players has been significantly reduced.

3. Port Adelaide SANFL Reserves (also as the Magpies and wearing the traditional guernsey)
From 2014 onwards this team will be our elite talent academy made up largely of 18-22 year old players. Our pool of 15 League-contracted players will be able to play at this level.

4. A series of youth development academies including a country and indigenous development program, an international player pathway, a father/son academy (much like those used by Victorian AFL clubs) and a metropolitan development program.
I missed the bleeding obvious. I guess I was thinking of the bottom end as you stated.

I think it's more likely the 8 SANFL clubs will cry foul and try to get the terms of the AFL reserves teams neutered to protect the "integrity of the competition"

I think it's more likely the 8 SANFL clubs will cry foul and try to get the terms of the AFL reserves teams neutered to protect the "integrity of the competition"
Yeah but I'm really surprised they didn't start off weighting the results of the AFL reserves teams from scratch. Or some other mechanism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but I'm really surprised they didn't start off weighting the results of the AFL reserves teams from scratch. Or some other mechanism.

That would require some level of foresight.

We don't need to be in the Foxtel Cup let the other 8 clubs do that.
The set up includes 3-4 day breaks from SANFL game to Foxtel Cup game.
Ken would not be happy with that.
Our boys just need to focus on winning AFL and SANFL flags that's it.

We don't need to be in the Foxtel Cup let the other 8 clubs do that.
The set up includes 3-4 day breaks from SANFL game to Foxtel Cup game.
Ken would not be happy with that.
Our boys just need to focus on winning AFL and SANFL flags that's it.

I think we would play our 15 SANFL listed players + Academy kids and maybe a handful of AFL listed players who need the match practice if we were allowed to play in the Foxtel cup. Anyway Foxtel might have a rule about how many AFL listed players are allowed to play.

According to this am's 'Tiser the Cows want to play their home reserves Showdown at Clare. One of the conditions of the Cows putting a reserves side into the SNAFL competition was that they are always the away side so how the #$%& do they get a home game against our reserves?

According to this am's 'Tiser the Cows want to play their home reserves Showdown at Clare. One of the conditions of the Cows putting a reserves side into the SNAFL competition was that they are always the away side so how the #$%& do they get a home game against our reserves?

If they really don't want to play at Alberton we should just make it a curtain raiser to the showdown at AO.

If they really don't want to play at Alberton we should just make it a curtain raiser to the showdown at AO.
It doesn't matter if they want to or not. They agreed to all their games being away games which means they don't get any home games regardless of where they want to play them.

It doesn't matter if they want to or not. They agreed to all their games being away games which means they don't get any home games regardless of where they want to play them.

Exactly.

They keep making poor decisions, they live with it.

I get where your coming from and I agree. I'm saying it purely because it would be a better view as a fan at AO over Alberton. (From where I would sit anyway)
The good thing though if there was a reserves showdown at Alberton plenty of $ would go to the club due to us buying food and drinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back