The Official Western Conference Semi Thread: Portland v San Antonio

Remove this Banner Ad

Spurs always watching the pennies... they welcome another home game to close this out

I'll proffer a slightly different theory.

OKC/LAC is destined to go six games, quite probably seven.

The Spurs are in a groove, and as much as they'd enjoy a little breather before the Conference Finals, they probably don't want to have an entire week off (see Essendon circa 1990).

Of course they wouldn't have deliberately thrown the game today, but I doubt that they'll be losing much sleep over the result. Portland wouldn't have wanted the ignominy of being swept either.

I'll proffer a slightly different theory.

OKC/LAC is destined to go six games, quite probably seven.

The Spurs are in a groove, and as much as they'd enjoy a little breather before the Conference Finals, they probably don't want to have an entire week off (see Essendon circa 1990).

Of course they wouldn't have deliberately thrown the game today, but I doubt that they'll be losing much sleep over the result. Portland wouldn't have wanted the ignominy of being swept either.

I like both of your theories.

I think the truth is just that the West is just that tough and the Blazers are a good enough team to not be swept, and the Spurs are a team that for all their strengths do still rely a lot on their outside shooting, and when shots aren't falling they are quite beatable.

The Spurs should close this out comfortably at home in 5, but I am still undecided on who would be a better matchup in the conference finals - the Thunder are easier for Pop to 'plan' for defensively - but planning doesn't make it any easier to stop Durant and Westbrook.

Agreed that the Blazers are to good to be swept, it was unlikely they'd play 4 bad games in a row, they finally got things together in game 4.

Spurs should close this out, last thing they would want would be the blazers winning game 5 and getting a sniff

Well just as I say that Parker is off injured, and the blazers close to within 7.

Will be an interesting 2nd half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well just as I say that Parker is off injured, and the blazers close to within 7.

Will be an interesting 2nd half.
We are still hanging around.

Need more scoring punch from Wes and Lillard in the second half as the bench hasnt provided much (not that it normally does)

As someone who's only following on espn's gamecast - has there been anything said about Tony's injury? On the one hand, Pop is the first guy to just let him rest if there is any doubt at all, on the other, the Spurs don't have the best luck when it comes to injuries in the playoffs.

Also did the Blazers just go on a 7-0 run and then throw in their garbage guys? You cut it to 19pts with 3 minutes left in your last game of the season, it's the playoffs - there is still a mathematical chance and there's nothing to gain from resting your guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back