The Padlock Unlocked. Petrie's reign in defence over?

Remove this Banner Ad

CR7

All Australian
Jun 12, 2004
Malcolm G's Money Bag
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Villarreal CF
Ken McGregor was probably the best of the worst options for the Padlock, but clearly the Padlock is unable to go with the more athletic, mobile forwards. The Mop-haired Jesus gave the Padlock a bit of a touch up on Friday night, and we also saw some of the famous turnovers from days gone by.

Padlock's ideal matchup is a bulkier, slower forward who prefers wrestling over leading. But these types are becoming less and less prevalent as the tall mobile forward takes preference over the heavier types. The upcoming game against the Cats could see Padlock match up on the pea-hearted Ottens, but the exciting talents of the super-athletic Joel Perry took care of him last time. Plus it's only a matter of time before the like-hearted Steven King does another injury, forcing the incredibly soft Ottens back into the ruck. Assuming Perry gets off his headbutting charge, will this mean the end of Padlock Petrie?

Interesting times ahead for Joel and the Padlock :)

His decision making with the ball is what worries me in defence, not what he does when the opposition has it.

Maybe Padlock's time in defence has been to educate him and see how opposition forwards play the role?

Perhaps Dean has decided the lesson must be endeth, thus sending Padlock back up forward? :)

He did ok. McGregor is a good player, we lost by 70 points and I can't recall an even contest that Petrie lost. The free was rubbish BTW.

CR7 said:
Maybe Padlock's time in defence has been to educate him and see how opposition forwards play the role?

Perhaps Dean has decided the lesson must be endeth, thus sending Padlock back up forward? :)

And when that doesnt work send him into the ruck and drop McIntosh? :rolleyes:

Forget playing foward, its defence or de-highway. I agree he'll struggle with match ups from time to time but really pleased with his work to so far.

Petrie was good on Friday night.

He has become pretty important over the last few weeks.

Still, if he keeps playing like this he will attract some attention come trade time. I would trade him for Graham Polak or a highish draft pick - he will always be pretty limited IMO.

I think Petrie was one of our best, and I havent been a big fan of his.

Yes Kenny kicked 4 but take away the free kicks we got flogged by 70 points.

There was a number of times he left his man to cut the ball off and read the play well. I say leave him in defence, dont move him forward and dont, dont and dont put him anywhere near the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking on the weekend, "Is Petrie just a poor-mans Riewoldt?"
And regarding Riewoldt, these jerbronies who reckon this guy is a gun are kidding themselves. The guy can't kick!
But these same bozo's will tell you that Justin Sweeney is killing them in the reserves. In all seriousness, no wonder I'm a bona fide insomniac.:mad:

CR7 said:
Ken McGregor was probably the best of the worst options for the Padlock, but clearly the Padlock is unable to go with the more athletic, mobile forwards.
Isn't Bradshaw one of those more athletic, mobile forwards? Didn't you suggest that Padlock did the job on Bradshaw last week?

Devil Fish said:
I was thinking on the weekend, "Is Petrie just a poor-mans Riewoldt?"
And regarding Riewoldt, these jerbronies who reckon this guy is a gun are kidding themselves. The guy can't kick!
But these same bozo's will tell you that Justin Sweeney is killing them in the reserves. In all seriousness, no wonder I'm a bona fide insomniac.:mad:

Riewoldt is a champion.

Zondor said:
Isn't Bradshaw one of those more athletic, mobile forwards? Didn't you suggest that Padlock did the job on Bradshaw last week?

I don't think many would suggest that Bradshaw and McGregor are alike :)

Three of McGregor's goals were from frees, one of which was against Wells (the throw attempting a rushed point). Not saying the frees were or weren't there, but two blokes having a wrestle in a contest means usually both are doing it.

It was good to see Drew genuinely ticked off when he had that dodgy free paid against him, and then back it up with a big double fisted spoil. It doesn't seem like our players (exception of the demi-god Arch) give a damn sometimes when they are beaten, or ripped off by the oompa loompas.

Used to love seeing Mick going off when he had a free paid against him (even if Jack the Blind Miner could see it).

Arden said:
It was good to see Drew genuinely ticked off when he had that dodgy free paid against him, and then back it up with a big double fisted spoil. It doesn't seem like our players (exception of the demi-god Arch) give a damn sometimes when they are beaten, or ripped off by the oompa loompas.

Used to love seeing Mick going off when he had a free paid against him (even if Jack the Blind Miner could see it).

Agreed. Spud, Harro, and Pratty show the odd bit of fire when they cop a few iffy calls, or a few bad bounces come their way, but I've noticed just as many of our guys drop their heads, only to end up getting beaten twice as bad the next time the ball comes down. Disappointing stuff. Last time I checked, passion and emotion were free commodities, and relatively easy to manufacture while on a sporting field. If Laidley's f*cking and frustrating them with a crap gameplan, then maybe our guys should vent a little in the best way possible.....on our opponents. And with some hardness at the ball. We definitely need to improve in this department. If nothing else, right now we at least need to be playing with a little rage in our bellies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back