The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

There hasn't been any posts since the unfortunate passing of Bryce Dejean-Jones so I will take this opportunity to say RIP to a Pelican that showed so much promise.

As this threads Tom Benson to our GM Dell Demps Son of Skeletor it is time to bump the best named thread in the big footy basketball board community to the top and discuss what has happened

Drafted: Hield

Acquired: Solomon Hill; 4 years 58 mill
Etwaun Moore; 4 years 34 mill
Terrance Jones; one year, and who cares about the cost

To me all of this is a bet meh. Solid signings for a team that made the playoffs no difference makers.

Just know this Pelicans brethren. Even with the fact someone named Tyler Johnson is worth 50 million dollars. I sadly say we paid Eric Gordon more for 4 years than Houston did.

Holy moly, where to start.

Firstly, you failed to mention our second round pick, Cheick Diallo, who is playing extremely well in Summer League and looking like a big steal. Better DRB% than Chriss, Maker, Poetl, Zubac and Labissiere who were all taken before him. We also signed Louisiana native Langston Galloway for 2 years that you forgot to include. Jones was signed for the minimum which could prove one of the deals of the summer if he plays to potential.

Hill's contract is in fact 4/48 guaranteed with incentives that could push it to 50 mil. Not 58 mil.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'no difference makers'. We might not have signed Durant but everyone we've recruited is a 2 way player, unlike Ryno and Gordon who could fill it up but were atrocious on D. Complete sieves, the two of them. Addition by subtraction there.

Maybe you really are Benson because you have been sleeping on just about every detail of the off-season so far. :p

Also, Buddy didn't have the best SL shooting wise, but he led the team in assists 3 out of 4 games and his rebounding numbers were very good also for a shooting guard. And he gave this appraisal of himself:

"I hate it. I just hate playing bad. I hate not playing the way I'm comfortable playing at. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. You're playing at a place you're not used to. And it's frustrating. I haven't played like this in like a year or so. Playing like this makes you mad, but it makes you more motivated because you know you're still not the best that you want to be."

"I want to take some time off but I'm pissed off so I can't take no time off."

Encouraging stuff, hopefully some of this rubs off on Asik lol.

Last edited:
As this threads Tom Benson to our GM Dell Demps Son of Skeletor it is time to bump the best named thread in the big footy basketball board community to the top and discuss what has happened

Drafted: Hield

Acquired: Solomon Hill; 4 years 58 mill
Etwaun Moore; 4 years 34 mill
Terrance Jones; one year, and who cares about the cost

To me all of this is a bet meh. Solid signings for a team that made the playoffs no difference makers.

Just know this Pelicans brethren. Even with the fact someone named Tyler Johnson is worth 50 million dollars. I sadly say we paid Eric Gordon more for 4 years than Houston did.

You forgot the man who is a sex machine to all the chicks - Langston Galloway.

I agree, we've traded firepower for a bit of grit. We've still got four guys to take/create shots in AD, Jrue, Reke & Buddy, so I guess it's not the worst approach. Pretty sick of finishing in the bottom five defensively, makes it so hard to put win streaks together.

Whether Buddy, Moore, Hill & Galloway can make enough threes to substitute for EG & Ryno is up for debate. We might get Quincy back, which'll help.

Maybe you really are Benson because you have been sleeping on just about every detail of the off-season so far. :p

nufan might be the senior citizen of the Pelican community, but not much escapes him.

You have to understand that a Richmond/Tottenham/Nawlins trifecta can drive a man to drink, that's all.

We were never going to be able to land anyone of significant status after the season we've just had so were prety much forced to settle for less. The value-for-money approach that was taken seems pretty good to me, especially with the money that was thrown around this free agency period. Hopefully it pans out that we've added players of good character and added depth to get strong results next season and be more attractive to a big name recruit for the next free agency period.

If you guys don't already, check out www.thebirdwrites.com.

Excellent Pelicans centred content, updated almost daily.

Also, PelicansReport.com has the best Nawlins forum on the Net.

If you guys don't already, check out www.thebirdwrites.com.

Excellent Pelicans centred content, updated almost daily.

Also, PelicansReport.com has the best Nawlins forum on the Net.

SBNation is quality in general, although some sites are better than others.

PelsReport is a little too reactionary for me.

Alright, time to bump the best named/most commented on team thread in the basketball board.

We have a late 2nd round pick, who does all the stalwarts want?
Draft Express has us taking Caleb Swannigan.
I personallly want Nigel Williams Goss for fit.

Thoughts anyone?

Alright, time to bump the best named/most commented on team thread in the basketball board.

Definitely the best named, so peternorth better keep his grubby hands off the title

We're NOLA, so let's welcome cash considerations to our organisation.

I don't follow enough college bball to comment on a late first rounder, let alone a late second.

I just hope whoever we pick is part of some plan and not our usual M.O. of throwing darts out a window.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm flattered you would think me capable of posting a coherent thought, but here goes:

This off-season is our last chance of building a team around AD. I have no idea what our plan is, but it had better be good.

Final thought: Jrue, you owe us buddy.

Thoughts anyone?

A Cheick Diallo level steal would be nice, whoever that might be. Or packaged up with whatever to bring in a player to genuinely fill a need. As Son of Skeletor says, need to build a team to be competitive around AD which means building a team to compete in playoffs next season which means we'll have a chance to build a team including Boogie for more than one season.

Am also down with his final thought that Jrue owes us. Not for the support shown by the team at the start of last season because any team should've done that, no, but for earning a good wage whilst hardly playing for his first three seasons with us. Would like to think he's a man of integrity who would take that into consideration.

Apparently we've put two offers to Jrue. $100mil/4yrs and $120mil/5 yrs. That's a lot of moola!

Where did you hear this?

No mention of it on PelicansReport or Birdwrites

Starting at 25 mil is massive but we own his bird rights so we can go over the cap with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Cheick Diallo level steal would be nice, whoever that might be. Or packaged up with whatever to bring in a player to genuinely fill a need. As Son of Skeletor says, need to build a team to be competitive around AD which means building a team to compete in playoffs next season which means we'll have a chance to build a team including Boogie for more than one season.

would take thAm also down with his final thought that Jrue owes us. Not for the support shown by the team at the start of last season because any team should've done that, no, but for earning a good wage whilst hardly playing for his first three seasons with us. Would like to think he's a man of integrity who at into consideration.
I've never susbscribed that a players owes a team. I do not want to pay Jrue the MAX

Everything we do is to make sure AD and Boogie Sign the dotted line which is why I like Williams Goss

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nigel-Williams-Goss-7093/
Have a look

Goss is Projected late 50's. I just buy into him.

I watch a lot of college bal

Apparently we've put two offers to Jrue. $100mil/4yrs and $120mil/5 yrs. That's a lot of moola!

Still waiting on source for this.

There's literally 0 out there on the Net backing up these claims

But in actual concrete news, a Quincy comeback is looking likely

Exactly the type of guy we need to put around AD/DmC

Last edited:

So he'll be traded (actually likely) and have a healthy productive career.
Seriously can we please get a new medical staff? Nothing has really seemed god going back to Larry Johnsons back, I still think it's the same guy.

I did a lot more digging and seems Klyntonius is onn the money about those offers to Jrue

Madness, but having his bird rights makes overpaying slightly more palatable

I've never susbscribed that a players owes a team. I do not want to pay Jrue the MAX

We traded two firsts to get him while medical problem went undisclosed (gee that $3 million cash settlement sure helped)

We've punted numerous seasons waiting for him/his wife to get healthy, including the last two. It was not his fault, but we were out of the playoff race by December each time - that hurts.

If he's healthy and our offer is competitive then he should remember all of the above. $25 mil is a lot per, but we don't have the draft picks or trade pieces to land a point guard better than him. Outside of George Hill perhaps I'm not sure there's anyone we could target that would bring the required skillset, and even then I'd prefer Jrue.

Ever since Conley's deal last off-season the writing's been on the wall as to how much it would cost to bring back Jrue. It's a lot, but I'm resigned to it and I don't think we can afford not to do it. Perhaps we're chasing our losses in gambling parlance, but I just don't see many viable alternatives.

By that I have used advances analytics and it turns out we're on top. Mainly because there are 4 of us
Also just quality of posters. I think NeutralFan is with us?

largebus

You're right, we need him - as much for his cool head as his shooting. We're largely devoid of leadership.

That said, I trust our PR department about as much as I trust our medical staff, which is to say not at all.

You're right, we need him - as much for his cool head as his shooting. We're largely devoid of leadership.

That said, I trust our PR department about as much as I trust our medical staff, which is to say not at all.

Not to mention one of the best defenders and passers on the team. Just a very high IQ player all round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back