Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Hawthorn and Adelaide circling the drain of the AFL ladder, the grip that North Melbourne has on the first overall pick looked like it was becoming tenuous.

However, with unfortunate injuries to key players like Cunnington, Zurhaar, Thomas and others cropping up, it does seem likely that David Noble is widely taking a cautious approach to player management that is going to have the added benefit of solidifying our grasp on pick #1.

So what do folks reckon; who finishes the season in the 18th spot?

If we beat one of geelong, sydney or richmond, then they are probably not flag material...

I see us beating Richmond and Adelaide. Adelaide lose all their remaining games. Hawthorn/ Collingwood lose 3 each but they play each other. Also I think GC lose all their remaining games.

I see us beating Richmond and Adelaide. Adelaide lose all their remaining games. Hawthorn/ Collingwood lose 3 each but they play each other. Also I think GC lose all their remaining games.
I hear you & I hope I’m wrong but I reckon it’s going to be tough winning any more games .
Cunners , CamZ , maybe TT , Powell etc all perhaps being put into cotton wool till 2022.

Even with Cunners, Zurhaar and Thomas out, we’re actually playing too well to win the spoon.

Forget about tanking for a sec and think about this: would you rather struggle through the last few rounds of a forgettable year, win a game or two and finish 17th and then send players off for surgery who’ll then miss the start of 2022 preseason; or would you prefer to cut our losses, send them off for surgery now and get them back fit and firing for the start of preseason?

This year is a write off, I’d much prefer to send players off to the surgeon now and start 2022 with a healthy list. The number 1 pick just happens to be a substantial bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even with Cunners, Zurhaar and Thomas out, we’re actually playing too well to win the spoon.

Forget about tanking for a sec and think about this: would you rather struggle through the last few rounds of a forgettable year, win a game or two and finish 17th and then send players off for surgery who’ll then miss the start of 2022 preseason; or would you prefer to cut our losses, send them off for surgery now and get them back fit and firing for the start of preseason?

This year is a write off, I’d much prefer to send players off to the surgeon now and start 2022 with a healthy list. The number 1 pick just happens to be a substantial bonus.
we're tracking well enough to do what you suggest, in getting players prepped for 2022, and still win a game or two - as we should

Yeah I think many of the senior players will be rested over the remaining games, wouldn't be surprised if JZ, Tarrant, maybe even Goldy get rested for the Adelaide game - last game of the season, away from home.

I think we've shown enough this year that represents a 'winning culture'. Coming last is not going to derail that, as it's been expected of us all year.

I'd like to see some of the older boys put on cotton wool. Why risk Goldy, Taz, Anderson, Ziebs and Hall getting injured and disrupting preseason?

Now's the time for X to ruck, and fringe players like Menadue, W Walker, etc to get their opportunity to be in next years plans.

I dont want to tank. I want Horne, sure, but pick 2/3/4 will be fine too. But I do want us to have the best chance of playing finals next year, and getting the most out of Goldy, Taz, etc next year is important.

They way people are banging on, you'd think we play Carlton 5 weeks in a row.

There'll be sterner tests coming up.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yes Micky, it's like hitting up a lass in her 80's at a pub and finding a level of success or hitting up a 30 something and finding a level of success. Yes both successful but one of them isn't ever to be mentioned and isn't some sort of barometer on how you're travelling.

In saying that I've never played 'Carlton'. We were extremely ordinary in the first half and would have been 6/8 goals down against a semi decent side.

I'm a little concerned we're getting ahead of ourselves around here.

Yes Micky, it's like hitting up a lass in her 80's at a pub and finding a level of success or hitting up a 30 something and finding a level of success. Yes both successful but one of them isn't ever to be mentioned and isn't some sort of barometer on how you're travelling.

In saying that I've never played 'Carlton'. We were extremely ordinary in the first half and would have been 6/8 goals down against a semi decent side.

So are you telling me that you have never, not even once, done a Carlton? Surely at some stage you have had a big one and woken up next to a Carlton?

By the way I agree we are getting way ahead of ourselves around here.

The important thing is the blokes making the decisions won't be lulled into any false sense of security. They'll know there's work to be done to get us into a position where we're challenging for premierships not peaking at 9th then falling away.

So are you telling me that you have never, not even once, done a Carlton? Surely at some stage you have had a big one and woken up next to a Carlton?

By the way I agree we are getting way ahead of ourselves around here.

Nope never done a " Carlton" am far too vain for that. Hey least I'm honest haha.

The important thing is the blokes making the decisions won't be lulled into any false sense of security. They'll know there's work to be done to get us into a position where we're challenging for premierships not peaking at 9th then falling away.

Yes we/they would have their plan and I am sure we won't be lulled by an 'indian summer' if you like. Me though am quietly confident that 2023 will see us up and about. I know of a few new recruits we're getting next season...

Corr(2), Perez(3), Comben(0)& Bonar(13) total games for North =18

Nope never done a " Carlton" am far too vain for that. Hey least I'm honest haha.

Yes we/they would have their plan and I am sure we won't be lulled by an 'indian summer' if you like. Me though am quietly confident that 2023 will see us up and about. I know of a few new recruits we're getting next season...

Corr(2), Perez(3), Comben(0)& Bonar(13) total games for North =18
Perez is the one for me. Could be a huge weapon off half back if he can get the body right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back