Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were a chance against the Cats, Swans and even the Tigers it's with Cunnington and Zurhaar (I'm not convinced the latter will play again this season).

If we go 0-3 in those games the last game against the Crows won't be a Horne Cup for them. They won't want to lose, especially at home, a game against a team they belted away earlier in the year.

The later the season goes the older bodies need a rest and the niggles need fixing. Guys like Goldstein and Ziebell all of a sudden need to go into the shop for repairs. That's not to mention general injuries and concussion

Noble doesn't want to win the spoon in his first season and I believe him but decisions will be made to ensure the smoothest pre-season.
I’d be resting a few of em. Start to get them right for next years campaign. There’s no point. Someone like Goldy would benefit from an extended break.

Reading what just about every draft expert says, including our own Souup, it would seem unlikely that we could over look him.

But I guess until his name's called out, who knows.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Only have to go back to last year's draft......no one saw WiPhi as our pick. Absolutely no one. Would not surprise me in the least if we try and trade 1 for 2 and 6 or something, then not even take Callaghan, the prospective number 2 after Horne, not including FS.

Goater and Gibcus sound like a pretty rocking duo.

In Brady we trust

Only have to go back to last year's draft......no one saw WiPhi as our pick. Absolutely no one. Would not surprise me in the least if we try and trade 1 for 2 and 6 or something, then not even take Callaghan, the prospective number 2 after Horne, not including FS.

In Brady we trust

True. But it seemed a bit more throw a blanket over half a dozen. This year Horne seems to be the standout, discounting Daicos.

Anyway, bit to play out and we don't even know what pick we'll have.

Clarko gone =>The hawk tank has now begun.
Actually think it might be the opposite.

Partly due to the removal of the uncertainty of the situation (and it does sound like it's been a mess in there this year), partly because Mitchell should want to start off with some wins to build momentum.

And they have a couple of winnable games - Collingwood are just as rubbish, and Richmond in round 23, particularly if they can't make finals.

Partly due to the removal of the uncertainty of the situation (and it does sound like it's been a mess in there this year), partly because Mitchell should want to start off with some wins to build momentum.

And they have a couple of winnable games - Collingwood are just as rubbish, and Richmond in round 23, particularly if they can't make finals.
I see it the other way... Mitchell has "clean air" now and is able to "manage" players in order to have a look at the full list in the seniors before being able to clean / turn over the list come years end.

What does he have to gain now by winning meaningless games? He has the job, they aren't taking it away from him.

Agree , we all know how teams react with the appointment of a new coach …(including us when Shawry took over Brad). Players now know where they stand , some are playing for the carers etc … think the hawks become very competitive all of a sudden ….

Agree they will want to also send clarko out on a high with some wins. And to avoid giving him a wooden spoon

Get pick 1 - we deserve to get full benefit after the poundings we’ve copped this year.

Finally some ******* sense.

I actually can’t fathom how we’re in the minority on this. It saddens me a bit that our great supporter base wouldn’t want the Cherry on the Icing that is Jason Horne.

He’s the only one playing against men, go back and see what he does to his own age group in big finals and it’s simply ridiculous.

There are currently 4 blokes in the AFL who average 20+1, we could have 4 ourselves by 2023.

Thomas, Sleavo, LDU & Horne.

Rest Goldy, McKay, anyone else carrying anything should be in surgery already.

I see it the other way... Mitchell has "clean air" now and is able to "manage" players in order to have a look at the full list in the seniors before being able to clean / turn over the list come years end.

What does he have to gain now by winning meaningless games? He has the job, they aren't taking it away from him.
There’d be players there that felt quiet comfortable under Clarkson, who’d believe theyre playing for their career now..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually can’t fathom how we’re in the minority on this. It saddens me a bit that our great supporter base wouldn’t want the Cherry on the Icing that is Jason Horne.

He’s the only one playing against men, go back and see what he does to his own age group in big finals and it’s simply ridiculous.

There are currently 4 blokes in the AFL who average 20+1, we could have 4 ourselves by 2023.

It’s quite simple, really. The vast majority of us North supporters want our cake and eat it too. We want to win every game we play AND we want Jason Horne.

Cue little girl from El Paso ad.

🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

l would like either....Choice #1" end up with Kelly FA, Horne, Weideman or Lynch (Ade) , Rachelle if we miss out on pick #1
Choice #2" " " " Kelly FA, Callaghan, Weideman or Lynch (Ade), Rachelle

In Brady we trust
Where would he have been picked if the TAC wasnt disrupted? He may be in Ratelaide colours.. I just made myself sick to be honest

Winning culture. Never ever ever go down easy.

I don't mind resting a few guys, but I hope whoever is left is busting a gut to get the W.

Yes we don’t win spoons or cheat or lay down and have our supporters cheer for Losses or get priority picks and overall 1st picks but the clubs that do that seem to be giving Rock Star status get plenty of media hype and become more of a destination club and get respect on and off the field from all circles.
Not That we would go to that level but we need to do something about this without going to level of cheating to gain respect of the football community.

If we do get Horne and he ends up being a 13-15 disposal .5 goal a game HFF you will be the first to jump ship.

JFC people talking about getting ahead of ourselves after a few wins? How about some around here proclaiming someone who has yet to play an AFL game as a guaranteed superstar??

If we get Horne, fantastic. But there is usually more than 1 good player per draft, and they are generally don't tend to be the number 1 pick either.

That's fair enough.
This is where history is undervalued.

There are examples of clubs that have gone down that track, tanking.
Not sure why anybody would take that gamble.

A winning mindset means more than a lower pick.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
When you say a winning mindset we are talking about 1 extra/less win

that doesn’t change culture

now if you’re talking about say 5 or 6 extra wins then fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back