Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darwin.

Its three years of draft assistance includes:

• Pick No.1 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently pick No.20) at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid first-round pick (currently pick No.11) at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently Pick.19) at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.
It will also get Darwin as part of its expanded Academy access zone, while it will be able to pre-list players out of that region without the AFL's normal bidding processes.

The final part of its assistance package will be the ability to rookie up to 10 players.
that's what you pay for the broadcast deals - come what may, there's gotta be 2 teams in queensland, so there's a local game each week; the national coverage (barring Tassie) is what gives the AFL the competitive edge over the NRL

Knowing you have an additional selection changes behaviours, though.

Going back a long time here, but in 97, Melbourne got the number pick as a priority, took Travis Johnstone, and then traded what was now the number two pick for Jeff White. The number two pick ended up being Brad Ottens. Now, knowing they wanted a ruck, you could mount an argument that, without having that extra pick to bring in a ruck, they just draft Ottens at number one.

Likewise in 1999, Collingwood traded pick three, what was their normal pick, for Steven McKee, a ruck who could partner Josh Fraser, who was taken with the priority pick. If there was no priority pick, do they think Fraser isn't up to the job of rucking all year on his own, or take a junior ball magnet like Paul Hasleby at pick one? Or Pavlich, perhaps?

2004, with Hawthorn taking the punt on Richmond not wanting Lance Franklin, is the classic case here.

2007, OK maybe Carlton shouldn't be credited with getting Kreuzer as a priority pick because they would have got him anyway, but that priority pick is what gave them the ability to trade for Chris Judd.

As for the year West Coast drafted Judd in the first place, remember that pick one was traded by Fremantle to Hawthorn for Trent Croad. Take away that priority pick and honestly, fu** knows what Freo would have done. They may have gone Judd at one, they may have gone Polak at one, and then St Kilda go Judd at two and West Coast end up with Hodge.

I understand where you are coming from but IMO it's just far too simplistic to look at it that way.

It gets even murkier once you start trying to explain alternative universes when talking about end of first round selections, like Rance, Darling, et al. In reality, those are just free swings, pure and simple.
Old memory but they wanted Polak, Hodge maybe… Judd had queries on his shoulders

No.1 outstanding pick 2022 is JHF mk II.
Do we take him if we finish 18th ?

Am l thinking it may be better we finish 16th / 17th and our hand is forced to take the best KPP, back or forward ?
Or if we do finish 18th do we think about trading pick 1 for multiple picks?

I didnt know where to put this so i chose this thread...

west coast had 12 guns playing for them last night - hurn mcgovern duggan kelly riolli darling cripps kennedy ryan redden shuey and gaff... arguably 8 of those players would be picked before any north player on our list... so that leaves yeo barass naitanui allan and sheed that were injured... we have Cunners anderson hall mckay polec... arguably the 5 for west coast are better than our 5 that are injured.

So my point is why are we being labelled as a non existent club when you can argue that on paper and history west coast are a 50% better team than us and they just got beaten on their HOME GROUND by richmond ( we lost to 2 preliminary finals teams and a grand final team in the last 4 weeks)

Or if we do finish 18th do we think about trading pick 1 for multiple picks?
You'd want to be very, very confident you will get what you want with those other picks (and that the "type" that you are after is at the level of talent needed). There have been years that the best KPP in the draft has been a journeyman...

For mine you still take the best talent available - if that means you need to think about trading some surplus assets that you have put some development into so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read the poo highlighted below..

GOLD Coast will get the first two picks at this year's NAB AFL Draft as a result of a significant assistance package dished out to the struggling club by the AFL Executive on Monday.

The club is now poised to snare blue-chip midfield prospects Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson at the draft, who are clearly the best pair of junior talents in the country.

The Suns will receive draft concessions for the next three years as part of the package, as well as expanded academy player access that will include the entirety of Darwin.

The additional picks will now count as Gold Coast's assets, meaning it will be able to trade the selections as it sees fit across the next three years.

Its three years of draft assistance includes:
  • Pick No.1 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently pick No.20) at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid first-round pick (currently pick No.11) at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently Pick.19) at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.
It will also get Darwin as part of its expanded Academy access zone, while it will be able to pre-list players out of that region without the AFL's normal bidding processes.

The final part of its assistance package will be the ability to rookie up to 10 players.

This plastic, soulless, manufactured s**t show got all these prime picks even though they’ve already had enough first round draft picks to fill an olympic sized swimming pool along with the greatest midfielder in modern AFL times and imbeciles like Tommy (the talking tumbleweed) Browne are protesting that we don’t get a PP..

* OFF!!

west coast had 12 guns playing for them last night - hurn mcgovern duggan kelly riolli darling cripps kennedy ryan redden shuey and gaff... arguably 8 of those players would be picked before any north player on our list... so that leaves yeo barass naitanui allan and sheed that were injured... we have Cunners anderson hall mckay polec... arguably the 5 for west coast are better than our 5 that are injured.

So my point is why are we being labelled as a non existent club when you can argue that on paper and history west coast are a 50% better team than us and they just got beaten on their HOME GROUND by richmond ( we lost to 2 preliminary finals teams and a grand final team in the last 4 weeks)
So you're saying that the media flogs like Tom Browne will be advocating for the Eagles to get another PP along with *

We lead in the bad news stakes because the powers to be want us to bleed. That simple really.

The largely non critical way Fox Footy assessed their performance last night said it all really.

They will eventually get their stable team back and become competitive. Sadly We will accrue a few more injuries and be even less competitive.

I dunno. They had a full side last year and were bog ordinary for most of the second half of the year. Since last year's bye they've won just 3 of 16 games, haven't passed 100 in any of them, and had their score at least doubled in 7 of those 13 losses. Certainly the COVID instability this year has hurt them but there were signs they were heading for a cliff last year. Maybe they've just reached the cliff and are now just not very good.

I dunno. They had a full side last year and were bog ordinary for most of the second half of the year. Since last year's bye they've won just 3 of 16 games, haven't passed 100 in any of them, and had their score at least doubled in 7 of those 13 losses. Certainly the COVID instability this year has hurt them but there were signs they were heading for a cliff last year. Maybe they've just reached the cliff and are now just not very good.
They're rooted.

If competitive is the end game, they might get there. As for anything meaningful, they're behind us.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

West Coast Lemmings ?

Oddly enough, as a club, West Coast seems to be culturally less equipped to cope with a full rebuild than we are. When people said we couldn't afford to rebuild, it was assumed that the drop-off in membership and game attendance would kill us financially. West Coast is on the other end of the spectrum. Memberships, attendance and money will never be a problem. They can't rebuild because their supporters feel entitled to be a premiership contender every year. They will grudgingly put up with a down year but expect an instant rebound. They cannot cop 5-8 years of guaranteed mediocrity.

Oddly enough, as a club, West Coast seems to be culturally less equipped to cope with a full rebuild than we are. When people said we couldn't afford to rebuild, it was assumed that the drop-off in membership and game attendance would kill us financially. West Coast is on the other end of the spectrum. Memberships, attendance and money will never be a problem. They can't rebuild because their supporters feel entitled to be a premiership contender every year. They will grudgingly put up with a down year but expect an instant rebound. They cannot cop 5-8 years of guaranteed mediocrity.
It would be fun to watch though.:D

Watching the easy beat Broncos in the NRL over the last couple of years and the over the top reactions of their supporters has made the last two years almost bearable.:D

I think this place could be fun if the Weagles are a bottom two club for four or five years, especially if Fremantle are performing well.

CorruptFL needs them to be strong. Let’s never forget that the execs at CFL house have personal financial bonuses related to crowd numbers…. We don’t effect the needle enough, WC on the other hand are prime town ever other week in WA and the rest of eastern seaboard football supporters generally tune in to their game as it’s the only one on.

I think it's time to resurrect this thread for 2023's wooden spoon race.

There are five games left and we're tied with West Coast on wins, but are about 57 points behind on percentage.

Our run home:
vs Hawks - Blundstone
vs Bombers - Marvel
vs Swans - Marvel
vs Crows - AO
vs Suns - Marvel

West Coast's run home:
vs Saints - Optus
vs Suns - Metricon
vs Crows - Optus
vs Dockers - Optus
vs Geelong - GMHBA

I'd say we have a much easier run home, however West Coast at home against the Crows is the most likely of all of these 10 games to be a win. If they get that win against Adelaide, then we'd likely need two more wins to avoid the spoon.

I'm hoping we can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back