Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time to resurrect this thread for 2023's wooden spoon race.

There are five games left and we're tied with West Coast on wins, but are about 57 points behind on percentage.

Our run home:
vs Hawks - Blundstone
vs Bombers - Marvel
vs Swans - Marvel
vs Crows - AO
vs Suns - Marvel

West Coast's run home:
vs Saints - Optus
vs Suns - Metricon
vs Crows - Optus
vs Dockers - Optus
vs Geelong - GMHBA

I'd say we have a much easier run home, however West Coast at home against the Crows is the most likely of all of these 10 games to be a win. If they get that win against Adelaide, then we'd likely need two more wins to avoid the spoon.

I'm hoping we can avoid it.
l'm thinking we could win 3 > Hawks, Bummers, and Adelaide
West coast could in 2 > Saints and Crows.
if we do drop 1 l hope its against Adelaide....

There are five games left and we're tied with West Coast on wins, but are about 57 points behind on percentage.

Our run home:
vs Hawks - Blundstone
vs Bombers - Marvel
vs Swans - Marvel
vs Crows - AO
vs Suns - Marvel

West Coast's run home:
vs Saints - Optus
vs Suns - Metricon
vs Crows - Optus
vs Dockers - Optus
vs Geelong - GMHBA

I'd say we have a much easier run home, however West Coast at home against the Crows is the most likely of all of these 10 games to be a win. If they get that win against Adelaide, then we'd likely need two more wins to avoid the spoon.

I'd say we are a chance in 2/5.

vs Hawks - Blundstone 50/50 based on our form in Round 1 and the last two weeks
vs Bombers - Marvel - haven't beaten them since 2016, can't see it changing here.
vs Swans - Marvel - haven't beaten them at Marvel since 2007. Something always happens to our detriment.
vs Crows - AO - Never won there, can't see us breaking the duck.
vs Suns - Marvel - 50/50 - Depends which GC comes out, if they've thrown the towel in and out of the finals race, I think we are a chance.

West Coast's run home: 1 win, possibily 2 at most
vs Saints - Optus - Saints should win but on current form, very shaky
vs Suns - Metricon - Suns Win
vs Crows - Optus - Should beat the Crows
vs Dockers - Optus - Freo easily
vs Geelong - GMHBA - Geelong easily

Our run home:
vs Hawks - Blundstone
vs Bombers - Marvel
vs Swans - Marvel
vs Crows - AO
vs Suns - Marvel

West Coast's run home:
vs Saints - Optus
vs Suns - Metricon
vs Crows - Optus
vs Dockers - Optus
vs Geelong - GMHBA

Let’s do the 2022 race first and hope we aren’t in it for 2023!

last year i kinda got this, although I still wanted to win

but this year i just want to win. frankly, we need the confidence internally, but we also need to make ourselves more attractive externally. this is an occasion where 2-3 wins and getting off the bottom of the ladder is a better outcome IMO and gives us a whole lot more than the number 1 pick would

I'd be happy to suffer another year of ignominy and finish last again to get the No. 1 pick in the National Draft and the PSD. I think our performances will improve these last 5 games and we might even snag a win (or two). That coupled with a new coach and a priority pick in some form will give everyone internally / externally enough confidence going into next year.

It was widely assumed late last season we would build on our post-bye form and slingshot back up the ladder in 2022, grabbing JHF at the nadir of our brief descent like some sort of jewel heist. I hated this thread back then and I hate it now.

Just keep winning.

Our run home:
vs Hawks - Blundstone
vs Bombers - Marvel
vs Swans - Marvel
vs Crows - AO
vs Suns - Marvel

West Coast's run home:
vs Saints - Optus
vs Suns - Metricon
vs Crows - Optus
vs Dockers - Optus
vs Geelong - GMHBA

Time will tell. With Hall coming back in and our new found belief, all 5 of our games are winnable. On the other hand, we are more than capable of losing them all as well. For various reasons, West Coast are in with a shot in the next four games. They’re never going to beat the Cats down there, of course. However, flakey Saints, Suns entering their traditional “downtime”, against Crows at home + a derby after a shocking year. You never know what will happen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say we are a chance in 2/5.

vs Hawks - Blundstone 50/50 based on our form in Round 1 and the last two weeks
vs Bombers - Marvel - haven't beaten them since 2016, can't see it changing here.
vs Swans - Marvel - haven't beaten them at Marvel since 2007. Something always happens to our detriment.
vs Crows - AO - Never won there, can't see us breaking the duck.
vs Suns - Marvel - 50/50 - Depends which GC comes out, if they've thrown the towel in and out of the finals race, I think we are a chance.

West Coast's run home: 1 win, possibily 2 at most
vs Saints - Optus - Saints should win but on current form, very shaky
vs Suns - Metricon - Suns Win
vs Crows - Optus - Should beat the Crows
vs Dockers - Optus - Freo easily
vs Geelong - GMHBA - Geelong easily
The thing is with both teams having such poor percentage, even an honourable loss or two can impact the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean it just isn’t really the same as last year

Whether we get sheezel, Wardlaw or tsatas is all pretty even

The main thing tho is the priority pick 2/3
We need a key forward or Key back and supporters wake we won’t be getting a priority pick before the draft or at 3 ,10 or at 19the other clubs including the ones that cheated in the past to get them will make sure we don’t receive one.

I think West Coast want that #1 Pick more than we do?

Anyway you would think Ashcroft goes #1 this year no matter who has the pick.

Yup ....We have virtually no chance of winning our next two games ....ffs our legend JK kicks 8 and we still lose that speaks volumes

We have Freo ...loss and geelong in geelong lol....thumping

You guys have Crows in Adelaide loss...then a home game against gold coast .........win :)..two games against teams outside of the 8

So it looks like the spoon is well and truly on ....Ashcroft is gone but we need mids...inside ones please that means Wardlaw you guys go for sheezel ;)

Huge chance to overtake the Weagles now. GC at Etihad with a returning Cunners, and possibly TT, although I wouldn't put the house on it. Bring on 17th and stuff the priority pick
Winning 1 more game shouldn’t affect our priority picks

I disagree I think it actually makes it easier as we affect one less team by getting priority pick 3
Not how the media will spin it. Tbf I never thought we deserved one anyway, but I guess you could make the argument that the league set the precedent with their jizzfest over Gold Coast. We'd be silly not to apply for one, but I'd be surprised if the AFL give it the green light (if we finish 17th, that is), and if they don't, we'll all live anyway

Last edited:
Not how the media will spin it. Tbf I never thought we deserved one anyway, but I guess you could make the argument that the league set the precedent with their jizzfest over Gold Coast. We'd be silly not to apply for one, but I'd be surprised if the AFL give it the green light (if we finish 17th, that is), and if they don't, we'll all live anyway

Are we deserving? Depends on how you look at it. We have been the worst team in each of the last 3 seasons. We won the first two games in 2020. Since then, we have been beaten senseless week in, week out. This year, WC would have beaten us except for Covid-19. That’s a pretty impressive level of sh1tfullness. On that basis alone, we seriously need help.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back