Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on now.

Henry's last VFL game was just after his 20th birthday. Cumberland is 23 and still stuck in the VFL.

You think Chris Scott would play a guy who is "selfish and defensively unaccountable"? Really? I think otherwise.
And I reckon the only reason he was playing VFL was because Collingwood's season was over and he had one foot out the door.

I love that you just drop this amazing performance in a practice match in. Pretty harsh. How could he not have been picked? What is the coach thinking?

So I checked the squad against Collingwood for the practice match. Squad of 26 plus 4 emergencies and Nankervis, Vlastuin, Banks and Mansell all out. Still no Cumberland named even as an emergency. He wasn't in the first 34 players named at Richmond. So you're referring to a VFL practice match.

Take a look at the superstars he went up against. Yeah I wonder why that game didn't shoot him into contention.

Hang on...

I just realised there's a Silvagni on Collingwood's VFL list!

I don't see it but finals is definitely on the cards.
I reckon we need De Koning to desperately break out and become a star defender. I think right now, he's doing what many 23yr old kpp's do, struggling with consistency until they hit 75-100 games.

Holmes is on the verge of breaking out as it is but in order to bridge the gap on those teams who have a quartet of star mids entering 100-150 games, Cats need a bit more from the midfield. Had we snagged Parish, that would have really bolstered our chances. Just seem to be one elite mid short at the minute.

It's fun though. Never quite going out of contention and seemingly remaining in the mix (like Sydney) :thumbsu:
Not just midfield but ruck too.
Defence and forward lines are both very strong.

Also, it's been a good ride for a long time for our supporter base.

Never finished below 12th.
Haven't won a wooden spoon since 1958.
Haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986.
Haven't sacked a coach since 1988.

Not just midfield but ruck too.
Defence and forward lines are both very strong.

Also, it's been a good ride for a long time for our supporter base.

Never finished below 12th.
Haven't won a wooden spoon since 1958.
Haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986.
Haven't sacked a coach since 1988.

Haven't outscored Richmond in a finals series in 11 attempts beside once in the middle of our longest funk, in 1995.

Must be an awful feeling for the club to be sacked by every coach since 1988.

4 flags in 60 years isn't very special. Just checked our trophy cabinet, 8 in that time it seems, despite spending the majority of that period on the skids. Otherwise, you could pretty much guarantee about 18 flags. :)

If Noah Cumberland hits his absolute max potential, he might churn out a career comparable to that of Alex Fasolo.

I urge Richmond supporters to be patient. Good new players worth the hype will eventually come around. Posts in this thread remind me of Pies fans trying to get excited about Poulter, Bianco and Tyler Brown being the future in 2021.

If Noah Cumberland hits his absolute max potential, he might churn out a career comparable to that of Alex Fasolo.

I urge Richmond supporters to be patient. Good new players worth the hype will eventually come around. Posts in this thread remind me of Pies fans trying to get excited about Poulter, Bianco and Tyler Brown being the future in 2021.
Are there any spare Daicos' in the pipeline that you guys could spare them out of pity?

I remember similar for us in 2018.

It wasn't an awful year by any means, we still made finals...but it felt like that groups window was closing. The list was old, with minimal talent coming through.

As a supporter, if there was a year to actually buy in to the cliff prophecy, THAT was the year.

You can delude yourself into thinking the Charlie Constables, Jamain Jones, & Quinton Narkles of the world are the future...but it's just that, delusion.

It's the worst place you can be in footy. Playing kids who you know deep down aren't any good, but you have to do it because it's all you've got.

Providing they keep their draft picks, in 2-3 years, even if Richmond are bottom 2, it'll be a much more enjoyable experience as a supporter IMO.

You can actually see the bones of your next contending side developing. Even if you suck, you can see the light at the tunnel that isn't present right now.

No mention of Holmes or Dempsey?

How come? Didn’t watch the game, or just decided to leave them out of it and hope nobody would notice?
Jeremias old bean, not many find my ignore list, but the one's that do are almost exclusively trolls.
Think that answers why he left out Dempsey.

Funnily enough there's a few Tiggers on that list.

I'm pretty sure the accepted terminology is Daicii
Dacoi. The family is from the former realm of Megas Alexandros, so Hellenic forms pertain.

Italian names could properly use Latin plurals, so Silvagni becomes Silvagnii, Fiora becomes Fiori, Liberatore becone Liberatoræ etc.

A better comparison for Cumberland would be Ollie Henry. Henry was consistently dropped by Collingwood due to his lack of defensive effort and being too selfish. Geelong pick him up and leave him on the ground and say just kick goals. He's still selfish and defensively unaccountable but he kicks goals because that's what he does well and doesn't have to think as much about chasing a guy 100m up the ground. Cumberland is the same but is asked to do too many things that he's not great at at the detriment of his natural game.
Henry kicked 41 goals in 2023 in his third season at age 21 which was top 15 in the entire League last year (15th) as a third option forward behind Hawkins and Cameron who both finished with 53 (5th) and 49 goals (10th)

For a kid under the age of 22 that's insanely good.

Cumberland has play 18 games total in two years and kicked 19 goals in his debut year. A guy who's career and stats are similar is Malcolm Rosas. Rosas has still played 40 games compared to 19 so it's still out of wack.

Ollie Henry is much more like a third option forward who can play tall and contest pack marks (he does) or small and crumb goals (he does). Cumberland wouldn't meet that criteria...it's a bit of a weird shot at Henry to compare him to Cumberland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that you just drop this amazing performance in a practice match in. Pretty harsh. How could he not have been picked? What is the coach thinking?

So I checked the squad against Collingwood for the practice match. Squad of 26 plus 4 emergencies and Nankervis, Vlastuin, Banks and Mansell all out. Still no Cumberland named even as an emergency. He wasn't in the first 34 players named at Richmond. So you're referring to a VFL practice match.

Take a look at the superstars he went up against. Yeah I wonder why that game didn't shoot him into contention.

He was emergency against Gold Coast. I guess they want to get some footy into him rather than him missing another game or play half a VFL game like emergencies often do.

Of course I was referring to the VFL match, what other match would he be playing if he wasn't selected in the seniors. You do well in the VFL and you get promoted, that's how it goes generally.

View attachment 1934263
4 Cats in oldest 22 no Tigers.
Which is funny because guys like Grimes, Martin, Prestia look for more washed up than the Geelong guys listed here. Danger with a 10 vote, BoG in a tight game to start season 2024 a perfect example. Something in the water seems to keep our blokes going at a higher level for longer.

Of course I was referring to the VFL match, what other match would he be playing if he wasn't selected in the seniors. You do well in the VFL and you get promoted, that's how it goes generally.

Most people when talking about a fringe player having a really good practice match would be referring to an AFL practice match. Normally if you're referring to the VFL or VFL practice match you would use the term "VFL" at some point rather than expecting everyone to remember he didn't play in the AFL practice match.

Henry kicked 41 goals in 2023 in his third season at age 21 which was top 15 in the entire League last year (15th) as a third option forward behind Hawkins and Cameron who both finished with 53 (5th) and 49 goals (10th)

For a kid under the age of 22 that's insanely good.

Cumberland has play 18 games total in two years and kicked 19 goals in his debut year. A guy who's career and stats are similar is Malcolm Rosas. Rosas has still played 40 games compared to 19 so it's still out of wack.

Ollie Henry is much more like a third option forward who can play tall and contest pack marks (he does) or small and crumb goals (he does). Cumberland wouldn't meet that criteria...it's a bit of a weird shot at Henry to compare him to Cumberland
I'm not taking a shot at Henry, I'm taking a shot at our coaching and match committee. We would probably have played Mansell and MRJ ahead of Henry because they supply more pressure. It's ridiculous. I much prefer our forwards to kick goals but that seemed to be a secondary focus for us.

Which is funny because guys like Grimes, Martin, Prestia look for more washed up than the Geelong guys listed here. Danger with a 10 vote, BoG in a tight game to start season 2024 a perfect example. Something in the water seems to keep our blokes going at a higher level for longer.
Steve Hocking has secretly added anti-ageing chemical to the Geelong water supply.

Another shadowy mysterious power he has, like mental-telepathy to make umpires give less frees to Richmond, or leather-bending to make Lynch's shot hit the post.

Squad of 26 plus 4 best 22 out injured yet Cumberland still isn't named. Out of contract this year. Papers stamped?
Looks like one of those talents that needs a new environment in order to flourish, and could become a very handy player somewhere else if he does.

However, he's 2 games into his career under Yze so he has time to turn it around.

Squad of 26 plus 4 best 22 out injured yet Cumberland still isn't named. Out of contract this year. Papers stamped?
We are how far into the season and you are stamping papers. I would have thought they might be waiting for a couple of really good games so he comes in with some form, like all football clubs do. Yze is 5 minutes into coach of Richmond, nobody is going anywhere in March.

We are how far into the season and you are stamping papers. I would have thought they might be waiting for a couple of really good games so he comes in with some form, like all football clubs do. Yze is 5 minutes into coach of Richmond, nobody is going anywhere in March.

I'm confused. I thought he had been playing really well already? Winning games off his own boot, etc.

You're wrapping yourself in knots trying to convince yourself Cumberland is a high quality player when he's been left out regularly by 3 coaches and is currently a long way away from being picked. If Yze thought Cumberland had anything to offer he would've picked him at the very least in the practice matches.

He's in the same spot as guys like Ralphsmith and Parfitt. There's no 4D chess "wait for a couple of really good games so he comes in with some form" going on here. All of those guys are clearly a long way back in the pecking order because the club thinks they have far better players.

Maybe they get a chance at some point to prove the coach wrong. But it's abundantly clear what the coach thinks of them.

I'm confused. I thought he had been playing really well already? Winning games off his own boot, etc.

You're wrapping yourself in knots trying to convince yourself Cumberland is a high quality player when he's been left out regularly by 3 coaches and is currently a long way away from being picked. If Yze thought Cumberland had anything to offer he would've picked him at the very least in the practice matches.

He's in the same spot as guys like Ralphsmith and Parfitt. There's no 4D chess "wait for a couple of really good games so he comes in with some form" going on here. All of those guys are clearly a long way back in the pecking order because the club thinks they have far better players.

Maybe they get a chance at some point to prove the coach wrong. But it's abundantly clear what the coach thinks of them.
I said he played a good half. He's been going okay in the 2 practice games overall.

I have no idea what is going on at Richmond. It looks like the same match committee of last year are running the show.
Rioli Jnr got 4 possessions last week and 1 goals. Yet miraculously stays in.
Mansell got 6 possessions and missed a sitter, and stays in. Pressure maybe, both had 1 tackle.
Both would not get a game in any side in the league.

It looks as if Campbell is making way for Mansell this week. He is last in line of the 6 named interchange bench.
Campbell had 13 possessions, kicked a clutch goal and has class.

Ralphsmith is a bust. I can name half a dozen easily at Richmond who are in the same boat after Yze has a good look at them.
Cumberland will get his chance if he fires in the VFL, and if he doesn't then not good enough. But he has runs on the board so I'm backing him in over a lot of other very ordinary footballers.

Back