Prediction The Rolling Outrageous Claims Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you've missed the criteria here.

That's outrageous coming from anybody on here except you and Warhorse.
I remember posters on this board patting themselves on the back about Geelong trading for Bruhn while Jones was recovering from a torn ACL.

I don't see it as an outrageous claim. Jones has more talent than Bruhn with his height and injury being the only question marks.

I’ll start.

Sydney will win the first of back-to-back flags on Grand Final day 2024.
I might not have gone hard enough on this. Three-peat?

I might not have gone hard enough on this. Three-peat?
Tipping Sydney for the premiership is like tipping the Cats in '95.

You can talk yourself into it...but when they're embarrassed on GF day yet again you're going to wish you stuck with your gut.

They've had 3 genuinely awful Grand Final performances in a row now, as well as a dozen finals debacles along that journey.

How they escape scrutiny after the rubbish Collingwood, Port, Richmond, & Geelong have copped for less is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tipping Sydney for the premiership is like tipping the Cats in '95.

You can talk yourself into it...but when they're embarrassed on GF day yet again you're going to wish you stuck with your gut.

They've had 3 genuinely awful Grand Final performances in a row now, as well as a dozen finals debacles along that journey.

How they escape scrutiny after the rubbish Collingwood, Port, Richmond, & Geelong have copped for it is beyond me.
Outrageous!

We should have cut heavily during last years offseason, the danger of treading water is under appreciated. Our List management team is incapable of making harsh decision against our vets in the same way it did from 2013-2016. This will hurt us for the coming decade.

Now that season has started our MC now has to make the hard calls.

I think what you're saying has some merit, but last year wasn't the year to cut.

More goes into these things than just deciding on a whim that it's time. It's planned years in advance, and if you do it at the wrong time it sets you back years (see Norf, twice)

It was a historically shallow draft and SFA free agents were available last year.

We would've been handing out two year deals to Hayball & Oscar Murdoch types who are never realistic options of building a side.

We seem to have struck gold with Humphries, and Dempsey a couple years before hand.

We're already beating the averages by a mile with picks that late turning into quality players, taking 4-5 more and praying another one of them hits just because we wanted some veterans gone a year early is plain stupidity.

Even if Touhy, Stanley, Duncan, & Hawk are cooked, I'd rather them be depth this year and then replaced by quality this year, which appears to be the plan.

Potentially picking up another Holmes or O'Sullivan in the first round, another Duncan in the second, and bringing in a couple FA is a much better method than clogging your list with late picks just because you wanted to start early.

We kept all our picks for a reason, and have salary cap space galore opening up. It's all set up to do a cut this year, where it would actually have merit because of what we can bring in.

Who do you think should have been cut, how would that have occurred if the players in question were contracted, and would taking someone at pick 80 in the draft on a two year contract leave the list in a better position than the players in question playing an extra season?

Who do you think should have been cut, how would that have occurred if the players in question were contracted, and would taking someone at pick 80 in the draft on a two year contract leave the list in a better position than the players in question playing an extra season?
Great minds ^

A great example of why it's highly likely not to work would be 2018

We cut a lot off the list, and replaced it with Luke Dalhaus, Jordan Clark, Ben Jarvis, Jacob Kennerley, Oscar Brownless, Darcy Fort, Jake Tarca, & Tom Atkins.

One long term quality player out of that, and we essentially cut deadwood for more deadwood.

It has to be steady, and if you're cutting large contingents of players it has to be under the right circumstances where you're bringing in quality picks, free agents, or a mixture of both.

Otherwise you've gutted your list of experience for guys who will likely never have a meaningful impact at your club.

It's the Norf model, good clubs don't follow it.

Yep, it was the weak draft hand that prevented a deeper cut. Murdoch and Hardie could have gone but not much beyond that. And bringing in end of draft talent would not have been better options.

The Geelong Football Club when they select and release on a Thursday night the team selected for that weekends match

They actually have against a players name the word Omitted
You mean like we have a couple of times this season...

1715421096506.png

1715421235479.png

Stanley will join them on Thursday night with omitted in brackets after his name

You mean like we have a couple of times this season...

View attachment 1986240

View attachment 1986241

Stanley will join them on Thursday night with omitted in brackets after his name
I don’t think it will say omitted IMO
He was way too happy for someone who could’ve just played his last game of his career

Again IMO he plays again Thursday night, purely because Conway is still out, unless Stanley is also injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Back