Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

JL doesn't know how to fire up the boys. Before the game or during.

You know what really fires people up? Money, maybe we should start paying the players for extra motivation, make playing footy like a job so that they will be fire up every week and ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switta has been a problem for at least the last 5 games.
Pearce is a problem.

Switta - Shuiltz - Freddy - Walters combo looks good when we are winning the midfield. When we are drawing even or losing they don't have the ability to win the hard ball.

Happy with what we got for Cerra - at the same time, he looked huge next to our guys today. We need Johnson and Ras to turn into very goof players or we are in a bit of trouble for size/quality.

Jackson being injured has taken a wildcard from our style of play. Looking forward to his development in the next few seasons.

Changes need to be made, Pearce is woefully out of form and looked injured at the end. Give him a few weeks off, drop Switta and bring in a defender and forward.
Pearce for Hambling ?

Those types are 2x first rounders. Not going to happen.
Johnson is that big body. However he’s 2/3 years away from being elite or developing into one.

Jackson can be midfield. Should have three talls- Sturt/Banfield as back up. And allow Jackson midfield.
Banfield and Sturt can replace the garbage smalls and be better anyway.
I'd pay two firsts for what I've described, just not sure who fits the bill that would be available, and come West.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If anyone here thinks our problems are backward of Center you are crazy
The ball was nonstop int Carlton forward line today
I thought ( particularly in the first quarter) ou defence saved us from a WCE magnitude loss

Couple of points and it does come down to coaching
1 at the moment Andy is a winger playing out of position as an inside mid. His presence in the Center square is a negative
2 I love Sonny. But the opposition are putting the lost attacking defender on him which is creating unpressured rebounds. He needs a team defence to help
3 Amis is still a kid. At the moment he can’t defend Rebound defence or a hurting us.
4 collectively Switta / Schultz / Freddy are killing us. They don’t get enough of the ball and I would hardly call their pressure elite.

The Carlton supporters at the game were just out of this world. Definitely gave my son a lesson in dickheadery. Embarrassing stuff
Some flog with a fedora s**t talking the disabled childrens charity with a mate hitting everyone with a flag. Geez i hate those campaigners. The shite we served up
on field in no way helped.

Ryan has openly said he doesnt like kicking in which is why he either kicks it short 30 metres to his best mate or just 50 metres to the pack and we get no drive. Other teams can get it to their 50 after a kick in as they move the ball fast and have intent.

Watching Carlton today and they often employed the same long kick-in to the boundary we did... except the difference is their guy drove 10-15m out of the square before kicking so the pack was nearly on the wing.

Ryan ambles out a couple of steps and kicks it to 55m out from our goal. I'm f**king sick of it.

I'm also sick of defensive transition being called 'Plan B'. It should be a core part of Plan A ffs. We must be the worst team in the league at transitioning from our D50 to our F50. It shouldn't be some afterthought in case you don't win centre clearances, it should be a key component of every team's gameplan.

There were options if he was quicker. Even if its just a short 15m kick. Edge it forward. There was not a single time all game where he didn't wait for the entire field to set up before taking the kick.
There was one. In the first quarter. I said to my mate, FFS i hope Ryan tries something different for once & he did. He kicked it short to someone in the right back pocket, kept running, got a handball & kept going. Within 10 seconds the ball was past the center & we were going forward.
It never happened again the whole game.
I wish someone could make sense of this cause I can’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. There hasn’t been a slower player to move the ball in AFL history I reckon. He’s pathetic
Hes All Australian, is a superb mark, courageous and is a nice kick of the ball rarely if ever butchering it. The fact he is currently moving the ball so slowly and continually bombing it is 100% coaching.

There was one. In the first quarter. I said to my mate, FFS i hope Ryan tries something different for once & he did. He kicked it short to someone in the right back pocket, kept running, got a handball & kept going. Within 10 seconds the ball was past the center & we were going forward.
He ignores the short option too often, always wants to gain more meters with his initial kick. Most teams that rebound well employ the short option 90% of the time and run it off half back. I remember earlier in the year vs the suns we got on top when we started to take away the short option and force them long down the line.

I would really like to see a distribution map of all of our defenders and where their kick ins go, because I there are definitely some who favour the short options a lot more.

Pearce cant stay captain next year, can he?
He can't and I gotta believe he won't.

They can't, you just can't. Pure insanity if they continued with it, if we ditched Mundy after one season we can definitely ditch Pearce.

I remember that. He needs the coaching staff to show him that and demand he do it more. Also we can drop Walker and replace with with Wagner or Wilson so that they can take some kick ins along with Young. Ryan looks like a deer in a headlight at times kicking out. Takes a friggin eternity.

I'm as annoyed about the loss and the general performance of the team as the next Freo supporter, but I'm going to look at the situation from a positive standpoint.

Unfortunately our current list profile doesn't align with supporter expectations of making finals and impacting in September. We're just too young. It's as simple as that. This is what happens when we have to shed veterans and continually lose our mature, top end talent.

This team is going to go places provided we can keep them together, I'm sure of it. But, it's going to be up and down like this for another 12-24 months while we pump games into our kids and get them valuable experience. The club is backing JL to bring them through, and I'm okay with that because I honestly believe that there isn't an alternative coach out there who can immediately eliminate the inconsistencies of a super young team.

At this stage of the season, it's safe to say that our overall performance last year was the outlier, rather than the norm. Looking at this through the lens of positivity again, if our inconsistent team was able to produce that result last year, then how bloody good are we going to be once everyone has had another 50 games of experience and had more time to gel together as a team?

We're going to dominate.

Fans need to put up with a bit more short term pain, and list management need to do their part and ensure that we retain our key players. Freo fans know better than anyone that Premierships aren't easy to win, and we have waited sooooooooo very patiently.

As a member, I'm prepared to wear the pain for a bit longer if it's going to give us the best chance of achieving success. Hopefully others are too.

Was watching the end of the game for something else but this caught my eye. Ryan took the intercept mark with 15:36 left on the clock. Here you can see Serong is wide open in the corridor screaming for it, all the Carlton players have their back turned and are focused on their opponents. It's a 20m-30m kick, a quick low bullet gets it there. He has Brayshaw beside him for a handball over the top who can then run the corridor. Serong is free for 7 seconds before Cowan realises and mans him up.

Ryan then waits till that option has passed and then finally disposes of the ball when the clock reads 15:22. By then everyone has set up again, and he kicks it long down the line. We do end up winning the contest but it ends up with Brayshaw and Worner trying to 1/2 on the boundary which quickly leads to a throw in.

Collingwood would play on quickly and take that kick every day of the week.

1688908616818.png 1688908642519.png 1688908663099.png

Was watching the end of the game for something else but this caught my eye. Ryan took the intercept mark with 15:36 left on the clock. Here you can see Serong is wide open in the corridor screaming for it, all the Carlton players have their back turned and are focused on their opponents. It's a 20m-30m kick, a quick low bullet gets it there. He has Brayshaw beside him for a handball over the top who can then run the corridor. Serong is free for 7 seconds before Cowan realises and mans him up.

Ryan then waits till that option has passed and then finally disposes of the ball when the clock reads 15:22. By then everyone has set up again, and he kicks it long down the line. We do end up winning the contest but it ends up with Brayshaw and Worner trying to 1/2 on the boundary which quickly leads to a throw in.

Collingwood would play on quickly and take that kick every day of the week.

View attachment 1733726View attachment 1733727View attachment 1733728
Think I saw that too, this guys a joke with ball in hand. I mean wtf is this campaigner getting so much of the ball for man

I want Young and Clark to be options 1 and 2 for taking the ball out of our D50 not ******* Ryan and Cox. Does my head in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back