Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the players in the boxing ring try & develop some hardness ferocity. Contested marking drills for a lot of the players -especially Treacy & Jackson.
Hope we seriously review captain situation for next season - appoint a midfielder. Expecting more from O'Meara.
When we're getting pantsed why doesn't Longmuir try players in different positions? I'd love to see Clark on a wing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Switta has been a problem for at least the last 5 games.
Pearce is a problem.

Switta - Shuiltz - Freddy - Walters combo looks good when we are winning the midfield. When we are drawing even or losing they don't have the ability to win the hard ball.

Happy with what we got for Cerra - at the same time, he looked huge next to our guys today. We need Johnson and Ras to turn into very goof players or we are in a bit of trouble for size/quality.

Jackson being injured has taken a wildcard from our style of play. Looking forward to his development in the next few seasons.

Changes need to be made, Pearce is woefully out of form and looked injured at the end. Give him a few weeks off, drop Switta and bring in a defender and forward.
Remember when we both chatted in the Longmuir thread about why I didn't think Justin Longmuir was not gonna lead Fremantle to a flag?

Todays result is one reason why we won't win one.

Justin Longmuir is a solid coach on a good day.

But we won't have that 2024-27 finals run if we lose or trade out 2 or 3 good players each year.

I don't expect a flag under Justin Longmuir. But we at least deserve to make finals for 2 or 3 years in a row.

Remember when we both chatted in the Longmuir thread about why I didn't think Justin Longmuir was not gonna lead Fremantle to a flag?

Todays result is one reason why we won't win one.

Justin Longmuir is a solid coach on a good day.

But we won't have that 2024-27 finals run if we lose or trade out 2 or 3 good players each year.

I don't expect a flag under Justin Longmuir. But we at least deserve to make finals for 2 or 3 years in a row.

Finals for 3-4 seasons should be the hope. A prelim or two would be a great run!

Freddy too. In the system a long time now and never taken a game by the scruff of the neck, like even Switta or Schultz have done once or twice. Just a nothing sort of player bar a few minutes of brilliance a season. Worst thing though is that he has a degree of talent but is just lazy. Only time he pulled his finger out was after his drinking suspension. If he tried as much as a lesser player like Banfield he'd do ok. I've given up on him. A year and a half ago he was one of my favorite players. Just taking a free ride now though.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Totally agree
Lazy and lacks footy smarts
There was a moment in our forward line with another bomb onto Darcy’s head .
Darcy did his best to bring it to ground .
Freddy was within 5 metres and only reacted once the ball was being swept away by Carltank . Totally flat footed ball watching .

Unfortunately there is just no one to bring in for him so he’s gifted games .
Banfield is the epitome of mediocrity but at least tries .

Was watching the end of the game for something else but this caught my eye. Ryan took the intercept mark with 15:36 left on the clock. Here you can see Serong is wide open in the corridor screaming for it, all the Carlton players have their back turned and are focused on their opponents. It's a 20m-30m kick, a quick low bullet gets it there. He has Brayshaw beside him for a handball over the top who can then run the corridor. Serong is free for 7 seconds before Cowan realises and mans him up.

Ryan then waits till that option has passed and then finally disposes of the ball when the clock reads 15:22. By then everyone has set up again, and he kicks it long down the line. We do end up winning the contest but it ends up with Brayshaw and Worner trying to 1/2 on the boundary which quickly leads to a throw in.

Collingwood would play on quickly and take that kick every day of the week.

View attachment 1733726View attachment 1733727View attachment 1733728
Yea. We sit where we have a good view of the kick in from one end. We sit & watch Ryan & call out the names of players as they present, he shapes towards them & then chickens out of taking the kick. This happens till all the leads are covered & he can go the bomb.
Remember Duffield? Nerves like a fighter pilot. Didn’t matter if he got picked off once or twice. He’d still kick the next one through the eye of a needle to someone beyond 50.
Ryan is shot for kick ins. Take it off him. Make Young or Clark take it & run & bounce, handball, receive & kick it past center.
Something. Anything but take it off Ryan.

Yea. We sit where we have a good view of the kick in from one end. We sit & watch Ryan & call out the names of players as they present, he shapes towards them & then chickens out of taking the kick. This happens till all the leads are covered & he can go the bomb.
Remember Duffield? Nerves like a fighter pilot. Didn’t matter if he got picked off once or twice. He’d still kick the next one through the eye of a needle to someone beyond 50.
Ryan is shot for kick ins. Take it off him. Make Young or Clark take it & run & bounce, handball, receive & kick it past center.
Doesn't excuse the fact that everytime the ball does go down the line that it Immediately comes back in.

I didn't see the game, but looking at the stats, the score, and the AFL summary, I don't need to.

I feared we may be undersized in the midfield, and it proved to be the case. Hated that we had to go in so undersized, but realistically there was no alternatives.

Those calling for JLo's head are entitled to their opinion,but myself I think that's not the answer.

Have a good hard look at the Eagles for comparison purposes.

Much as today stings like a ********** I would point out we are still not as s**t as people may currently think.

We have talent. We have a premiership window in front of us. And we need to get fu****g busy during trade and draft period, to shore up the midfield, to make it bigger when we need to... Which we should have the salary cap to do, if we cut some of the guys who are nowhere near it. It'll hurt to lose them, but drafting another midfield monster or two will take too long.

Even with finals out of reach, I'd still rather be where we are currently, than where we were five years ago, or where the Eagles will be for the next five years.
Great in theory but who wants to come to this s**t show ?
And then when they do ( Lachie Neale ) we are too tight to part with the required capital
Can’t have the cake and eat it

Need ruthless , balls deep trading this year for mid forwards otherwise this window will be another wasted group of very talented young footballers.

Last edited:
Think I saw that too, this guys a joke with ball in hand. I mean wtf is this campaigner getting so much of the ball for man

I want Young and Clark to be options 1 and 2 for taking the ball out of our D50 not ******* Ryan and Cox. Does my head in.
Last year we had Chapman, Walker, etc, taking the game on at times. Now there is no run from the back half.
But doesn't help that the midfield is getting slaughtered.
Both areas need to be addressed, Brodie when fit is a start, maybe Brayshaw to the wing and Young to the centre.
Aish and Young to rotate.
Small forwards are also an issue, but it all starts in the middle.
Bigger bodies are needed, but not snail pace, and better delivery to not just bomb away.
Mundy started in the backline, its time Young was moved.

Man how underrated was Paul Duffield, what a good player he was.

There has to be options.
Young, Clark, Walker for all their pace and elite kicking, are wasted across half back if that’s the case.
Instead Walker is a shutdown small defender. What a waste.
Clark shouldn’t be half back. Elite wing in the making.

Refusal to change that is frustrating
Nailed it
I want to see Clark on the wing

The reason we bomb it
a) out of defence
and
b) into the Forward line

is we just don’t have elite short kicking skills and hence no confidence to move the ball efficiently and quickly

Perhaps that’s why they are persisting with Henry as wing , his kicking is impressive and may eventually offer some clean entries when we do finally ( if ever ) have leading forwards who create space

Last year we had Chapman, Walker, etc, taking the game on at times. Now there is no run from the back half.
But doesn't help that the midfield is getting slaughtered.
Both areas need to be addressed, Brodie when fit is a start, maybe Brayshaw to the wing and Young to the centre.
Aish and Young to rotate.
Small forwards are also an issue, but it all starts in the middle.
Bigger bodies are needed, but not snail pace, and better delivery to not just bomb away.
Mundy started in the backline, its time Young was moved.
Was funny, I just remembered in the Worner debut video JL mentioned shuffling the deck chairs in the midfield. There was no shuffling. The most they did was swap aish/erasmus on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan definitely has his limitations. Overall defends okay, and takes some timely intercept marks but overall his ball use is not effective. As most have said shouldn't be the one taking the kick ins. Kicks to same spot almost every time. Why is he then looked upon as so favorably. People focusing and too much emphasis on his 35 or so disposals

This was one of the issues at start of season the defense was holding up the play too much. But I think this is self preservation mode when they constantly under relentless attack.

I didn't see the game, but looking at the stats, the score, and the AFL summary, I don't need to.

I feared we may be undersized in the midfield, and it proved to be the case. Hated that we had to go in so undersized, but realistically there was no alternatives.

Those calling for JLo's head are entitled to their opinion,but myself I think that's not the answer.

Have a good hard look at the Eagles for comparison purposes.

Much as today stings like a ********** I would point out we are still not as s**t as people may currently think.

We have talent. We have a premiership window in front of us. And we need to get fu****g busy during trade and draft period, to shore up the midfield, to make it bigger when we need to... Which we should have the salary cap to do, if we cut some of the guys who are nowhere near it. It'll hurt to lose them, but drafting another midfield monster or two will take too long.

Even with finals out of reach, I'd still rather be where we are currently, than where we were five years ago, or where the Eagles will be for the next five years.
Johnson and Erasmus are both big mids when they develop. Brodie may have played today if not injured.

Watching Carlton today and they often employed the same long kick-in to the boundary we did... except the difference is their guy drove 10-15m out of the square before kicking so the pack was nearly on the wing.

Ryan ambles out a couple of steps and kicks it to 55m out from our goal. I'm f**king sick of it.

I'm also sick of defensive transition being called 'Plan B'. It should be a core part of Plan A ffs. We must be the worst team in the league at transitioning from our D50 to our F50. It shouldn't be some afterthought in case you don't win centre clearances, it should be a key component of every team's gameplan.
He also waits 10 seconds before he kicks in in so the other team gets all set up as well.

Finals for 3-4 seasons should be the hope. A prelim or two would be a great run!
Of course it would.

But at this point, for me playing back to back elim finals would be like a premiership for me. 8 years of finals out of 29 is bad, really bad.

And you wonder I celebrated long and Hard when we won that elim final last year vs the dogs. That was our 1st finals win since 2015. Only a 37 year old David Mundy and A 31 year old michael walters was left from that won finals in that 2012-15 era under ross lyon, they were both played in that 2010 elim final vs Hawks too. I could of added Nathan Fyfe in all 3 of those sides too but he didnt play in that 2022 elim final vs the dogs as he was injured.

Again... of those 23 blokes that played in that elim final win vs the dogs, 19 of those 23 guys had their 1st ever finals win in their careers.

We have been worked out, cannot win a contested footy if our lives depended on it and when we get the ball our disposal skills let us down. Last year we had Mundy, Brodie and Acres all winning contested ball this year year we are back to the midget brigade in the middle Brayshaw, Serong etc. Whoever thought that O'Meara was going to be better than Acres was dreaming. Johnson will be good but Erasmus is a worry.

Ahhh I miss Duffman.

We have been worked out, cannot win a contested footy if our lives depended on it and when we get the ball our disposal skills let us down. Last year we had Mundy, Brodie and Acres all winning contested ball this year year we are back to the midget brigade in the middle Brayshaw, Serong etc. Whoever thought that O'Meara was going to be better than Acres was dreaming. Johnson will be good but Erasmus is a worry.

Erasmus last quarter was pretty good. The kid is not a concern. A 190cm mid with his endurance will make it. Even his kicking looked decent yesterday.

Usually it takes a year for someone new to find his feet, so I would give JOM next
year to see if he can.
But he needs to work on his speed, angles and handball, the opposition are sweating on him.
Massive preseason is needed by the midfield group, and how we can win the
ruck yet lose extraction.
It’s game plan, coaching, training and it needs fixing now.
We have seen two clubs drop, Pies and Port out of finals and bounce back
with change.

Usually it takes a year for someone new to find his feet, so I would give JOM next
year to see if he can.
But he needs to work on his speed, angles and handball, the opposition are sweating on him.
Massive preseason is needed by the midfield group, and how we can win the
ruck yet lose extraction.
It’s game plan, coaching, training and it needs fixing now.
We have seen two clubs drop, Pies and Port out of finals and bounce back
with change.

Port spent money on coaching and made significant list changes. Similar Collingwood, they traded out dead wood (Grundy) from their cap and traded in value like Mitchell / Hill / took scraps from GCS and turned them into gold. Much like we did in 2022, except instead of push further, we chose to cut deep into our already young list and now we are suffering. Poor list management, poor drafting / trading.

There is one caveat, if we bring in free agents this year, we’ve managed things well. If we don’t, we’ve both rooted our cap and draft hand in the same offseason.

seemed a bit naive to rock up against the blues midfield with johnson and erasmus, befuddles me as to why we didnt put young in there, clearly needed some bigger stronger bodies there

couldnt have put that performance up against a ******* worse team, sick to my stomach why the ******* blues

how we managed to get beaten at the clinches and also get blown away from their spread bewilders me. surely the boys have some pride after getting pushed around and wouldnt let their opponent run free from them for easy ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back