Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We won’t win games with a midfield of Brayshaw, Serong, Erasmus, and Johnson. JOM is useless half the time. No big body. They just get bullied and pushed around.
O’Meara really needs to lift his game a cog or two. He had some good moments on the weekend, but not really enough in terms of what role he has. He’s the senior lead in an otherwise very young midfield.

Ok, it’s a big ask to take that level of leadership in his first year, but the reality is he’s running out of seasons and he’s one of the very few options to do it.

When the mids were obviously getting monstered and game was lost it would of been good to try and see adding a bigger body in there would of helped. Perhaps no difference but worth a try.

For this as others suggested young, but maybe even Hughes. For all his limitations Hughes has bit of a tank, pretty quick and wont shirk the contest. We may just need him to clear the path for the mozzie brigade

When the mids were obviously getting monstered and game was lost it would of been good to try and see adding a bigger body in there would of helped. Perhaps no difference but worth a try.

For this as others suggested young, but maybe even Hughes. For all his limitations Hughes has bit of a tank, pretty quick and wont shirk the contest. We may just need him to clear the path for the mozzie brigade
Yeah should have tried something, clark too could have been an option, strong tackler with some pace. better than what was offered otherwise

Nothing. The ball hits the ground, no pressure, no creativity, no idea.
Switkowski has kicked 40 goals in his career. That’s shocking for his role. He’s too light, has no Walters about him and nothing else other then speed tackling.
Schultz is the player that tries every time. Another one of him would be nice.
One Schultz is one too many.

Lot of hate for the small forwards and Luke Ryan but all of that is caused by the midfielders getting absolutely dominated,
For the smalls I would agree with regards to their goal/scoring out put. But in modern footy players roam far and wide. My whipping boy Frederick got half of his 7 possessions on the wing. He got only 2 tackles for the game. He's supposed to be fast, so you'd imagine that if he's not getting the ball then at least he's tackling, but it doesn't seem to be that way. He's just not working hard enough to get to contests or is being coached so poorly that the direction he receives on where/how to play is rendering him completely ineffective.

For the smalls I would agree with regards to their goal/scoring out put. But in modern footy players roam far and wide. My whipping boy Frederick got half of his 7 possessions on the wing. He got only 2 tackles for the game. He's supposed to be fast, so you'd imagine that if he's not getting the ball then at least he's tackling, but it doesn't seem to be that way. He's just not working hard enough to get to contests or is being coached so poorly that the direction he receives on where/how to play is rendering him completely ineffective.

He's completely ineffective because he's no good at contested ball, and because we don't move the ball quickly we don't give him a chance to get uncontested ball.

Not that i'm defending his game, but the main reasons we lost had nothing to do with him. Slow ball movement, and overuse of the ball (leading to turnovers) in the clinches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's completely ineffective because he's no good at contested ball, and because we don't move the ball quickly we don't give him a chance to get uncontested ball.

Not that i'm defending his game, but the main reasons we lost had nothing to do with him. Slow ball movement, and overuse of the ball (leading to turnovers) in the clinches.
yes freddy as a player is what he is, last season we moved the ball and set up in a way that we could take advantage of his strenghts. now were asking him to compete for 1v1 marking contests... thats not him and probably never will be

Someone check the Qantas lounge because half of our bozo players have yet to return from the mid-season break.

There are major attitude problems at the club when the team just refuses to engage with the game from the first bounce. It's like the players lack motivation, and I point the finger squarely at Brayshaw, JOM, Darcy and Serong. They are not setting a high enough standard for the team, and I can see where the club's standards actually lie when we have the worst 1st quarter record in the league.

Now, why is Luke Ryan still doing kick outs? We all know that he jogs 15m before launching a mortar round down to the Russian position on the wing. If we all know where Luke Ryan is going to kick the ball, then I hazard a guess that teams have been prepping their trenches for the incoming fire all week.

Clark and Young should be taking kick outs. Clark can take on the man on the mark and get an extra 15-20m or Young can use his field kicking to penetrate zone defences. The rest of the team can rack up the stats the hard way.

Useless campaigners the lot of them.

After these sorts of games I normally play 'Like a Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan when I get home, the line - 'You've never understand that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you' rings true.

Unlike our family's and careers there's not much we can do but decide to tune in or tune out.

There were some minor positives for me being at this game:

• Young's a great player, his kick in down the middle to (Walker?) was quick and elite.
  • Henry's positioning and maturity is starting to come through, I believe he'll be Best 22 at our club sooner rather than later now and at the start of the year I wrote him off as a bust. If he goes then he'll have some trade currency to help us get a bigger bodied mid.
  • Amiss sensational mark (ignoring the palm off Schulz).
  • Darcy is the best ruckman going around
  • Aish played a strong game.

The negatives have been well covered but for me the most damning:

• Worst defensive structure I can recall in many years. So many defenders out of position, absolutely rudderless and leaderless. Even if injured, the captaincy has affected Pearce the same way it hit Mundy in 2016. Mundy had his best 5 years after he handed the reigns over to Fyfe post-30, and perhaps Pearce could experience the same. I really don't like what Cox has brought to the table this year.
  • Midfield is utterly horrendous, I don't blame the players, that's all on the terrible off-field decisions. This year sucks and o would've preferred Mundy pushing toward game 400 than a has-been like O'Meara in the role. That might have guaranteed more bums on seats till the end of the year.
  • Poor leadership and coaching all round.

This club has got to stop thinking leadership jobs are only for people aged 45 and under, we are missing some serious maturity, wisdom and hard-nosed grit.

Really sucked seeing such a massive crowd so disappointed.

The crowd was that checked out

Pretty much. I pulled my Kindle out halfway through the 3rd quarter and just read for the rest of the game.

Pretty much. I pulled my Kindle out halfway through the 3rd quarter and just read for the rest of the game.
There wasnt even a single redeeming feature about the game itself.. Carlton werent even clinical, they just physically beat us up everywhere and bludgeoned the ball forward enough times. Thank christ i have two kids at the game and could pull out the "gotta get em home" card

The crowd was that checked out, no one even booed Cerra once on his way to 10 coaches votes.. and that was from the start of the game, not late in the game.. pretty damning on what the masses are thinking of the current situation.
Yup. Didn't give us anything all game to get excited over. Not even a couple goals in the first while it was still close. The Carlton crowd were much louder than us.

Think the cox, Pearce pairing is fundamentally flawed.

Pearce isn't a footballer, he's a 200cm athlete trying to give effort and contest who can't kick. Not a great mark for his size

Cox refuses to mark the ball, refuses to show any intensity in the contest. I'm so over his casual mark Waugh style approach to the game. Waste of ******* talent.

The midfield will sort itself out in time as they get more games into them but if the defensive pillars who are in their prime are gonna put up what they have this season there is no hope

Think the cox, Pearce pairing is fundamentally flawed.

Pearce isn't a footballer, he's a 200cm athlete trying to give effort and contest who can't kick. Not a great mark for his size

Cox refuses to mark the ball, refuses to show any intensity in the contest. I'm so over his casual mark Waugh style approach to the game. Waste of ******* talent.

The midfield will sort itself out in time as they get more games into them but if the defensive pillars who are in their prime are gonna put up what they have this season there is no hope
Watching the Pearce of old is so depressing. His 2019 season was insanely good before he got injured. We never got that version of him back. He was intercepting and breaking lines with such strength and speed. He was a genuine footballer back then.

Now, why is Luke Ryan still doing kick outs? We all know that he jogs 15m before launching a mortar round down to the Russian position on the wing. If we all know where Luke Ryan is going to kick the ball, then I hazard a guess that teams have been prepping their trenches for the incoming fire all week.

the players aren't working hard enough to find space. Sit behind the goals and see how many options are available. Guys just mill around the wing and wait for the bomb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back