Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Though not reading through all the posts here, but it seems that the loss has all but hidden the fact of the mark/goal that at the time was disputed hotly by the crowd.
From where I sat, I thought it was a goal.Even after watching the replay, I am still convinced it was a gaol.
I know it had no bearing on the result, but even the press appear not to have noticed.

Though not reading through all the posts here, but it seems that the loss has all but hidden the fact of the mark/goal that at the time was disputed hotly by the crowd.
From where I sat, I thought it was a goal.Even after watching the replay, I am still convinced it was a gaol.
I know it had no bearing on the result, but even the press appear not to have noticed.
Are you talking about the one that was marked on the line?

I haven't actually seen a replay, but I don't understand why it can't be reviewed if it was that close. If you can review a mark on the goal line after Tabs has already been given the OK to take the set shot and he kicks a goal, then you can review that.

Are you talking about the one that was marked on the line?

I haven't actually seen a replay, but I don't understand why it can't be reviewed if it was that close. If you can review a mark on the goal line after Tabs has already been given the OK to take the set shot and he kicks a goal, then you can review that.
Happened right in front of me. Field ump called a mark, so therefore no goal review. I was livid, though seeing the replay on the screen, I reckon it probably would've been called a mark, in that 90%-of-the-ball-over-the-line kind of way.

Lot of hate for the small forwards and Luke Ryan but all of that is caused by the midfielders getting absolutely dominated, yet again. Ryan has no one to kick to because we can’t buy a stoppage and so ball lives in Carlton’s 50. The smalls can’t get involved unless there is good supply in good areas that allows them to crumb and pressure.

Instead we get blind bombs and panicked turnovers (if we ever win a clean stoppage, which is rare).

Darcy literally hit it wherever they planned and they got outbodied and out-spread again and again. It is embarrassing frankly - Serong, JOM and Brayshaw are in the leadership group…

We need a dramatic restructure in there. Brodie to play again when his ankle is good and play the first touch role we all know he can play well. Why the fk did we go away from that?

JOM can play half forward and attend the off CBD…shocking pick up so far barring 2/3 solid games.

Anyway ranting…but man losing the midfield for the same reasons again and again is doing my head in

The small players (which includes small midfielders and small forwards) cause most of the problems. I bang on endlessly about it, but the evidence is clear to me and frustrates the hell out of me.

What happens is the small forwards all enter between the arcs due to the modern defensive flooding tactics. JL also rarely plays more than 2 tall forwards on the ground at once. That would be fine if there were medium options to take up the marking slack. Along with Darcy, they are often on the wrong side of the ground, or too far away from the ball carrier.

So when the defenders get the ball, they look up and see a swarm of short people calling for the ball ... Henry, Schultz, Serong, Brayshaw, Switta, Aish, Walters, Freddy, JOM. Good teams might have a handful of these sized players, but we are well over the critical mass. The opposition don't mind letting them free and employ a bit of a zone, plus a spare man, and to pull off a kick that one of these tiny players can mark requires impeccable skills and no margin for error. So the defenders hesitate, and our ball movement problems ensue.

Look at start of 3rd quarter. Clark intercepts. Serong in the corridor ... won't kick it to him. Then you have Switta leading also up the middle. Won't kick it to him. Brayshaw calling for short kick. Kicks it to another midget Schultz, who gets the barest of touches on a ball that Sturt could easily mark. Not long after it spills to Henry. Switta is calling for it in space. Again won't kick it to him. Blast it long to Freddy. This is just what happens over and over again. Small players everywhere.

Carlton get it back and move it down field through kicking it to Cripps - Silvagni - Curnow. Taller players. Doesn't work this time. We get it back. Handball to Switta. Too small to reach the ball and opponent disrupts. Switta to his credit gets it back, but then monstered in a tackle and loses the ball again. Rinse and repeat. Carlton has a prolonged period near their goals. Amongst this Henry is in a mismatch on Cripps (competes well) and Serong gets swatted away in a clearance close to goal. Luckily the Blues don't make much of it. The times we get it back there are outlet kicks to Walters (rushed under pressure) and Darcy bombs one to Schultz who drops another mark. Clark eventually kicks it out on the full and we then concede a stupid goal to a small forward doing what they are supposed to do (crumb).

Centre bounce with 3 short people in. Darcy wins the tap yet again. Our players are swarmed and Brayshaw swallowed HTB by Cerra. We get it back and finally manage to target a tall player Amiss who lo and behold is able to get the mark. Fast break! But what do we have here? Long bomb to Schultz at FF!! Before the bounce I said to my uncle next to me ... WTF is Schultz doing in the goal square? How stupid is that? And guess what, the ball gets kicked to him and he has no chance. Ball rockets back up the field with ease, ending up in McGovern kicking a 55m goal.

We manage a hack centre bounce clearance from Serong, but it again goes to a midget Freddy. Ball again rebounds back up the field. Goes to Cripps who swats Brayshaw away like a fly and the ball ends up with Cerra for another 55m goal.

Tthe game is killed off with basically everything outside D50 on Freo's part going through small players who can't do anything useful, meanwhile Carlton is using bigger players like Cripps, Cerra, Silvagni, McGovern and kicking long bomb goals (that our small players wouldn't make the distance) with only brief involvement (as it should be) from small forwards.

Young, Chapman, O'Driscoll, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Worner, Stanley. The players are there with varying ability/potential/etc. But until enough of them reach the required level and experience (which will take 2-3 years, possibly more), we will struggle. Teams will kick goals against us (as described above) purely due to the physical limitations of our midget brigade, and no matter how hard they try, they can't do much better.

My mother's comments on the game:
It looks like the ball is wet with how much they are fumbling around with it.

And

Who's that player on Walters there, he has played a great game. (Saad) He is marking everything and so fast.
Saad hasn't even been good all season (i have him on my fantasy). But we made him look so good. So many shallow kicks i50 that he intercepted right on the 50m line. Played it right how he wanted it.

My mother's comments on the game:
It looks like the ball is wet with how much they are fumbling around with it.

And

Who's that player on Walters there, he has played a great game. (Saad) He is marking everything and so fast.
I was not there live, but from the TV view it seemed Saad played predominantly on Schultz

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The small players (which includes small midfielders and small forwards) cause most of the problems. I bang on endlessly about it, but the evidence is clear to me and frustrates the hell out of me.

What happens is the small forwards all enter between the arcs due to the modern defensive flooding tactics. JL also rarely plays more than 2 tall forwards on the ground at once. That would be fine if there were medium options to take up the marking slack. Along with Darcy, they are often on the wrong side of the ground, or too far away from the ball carrier.

So when the defenders get the ball, they look up and see a swarm of short people calling for the ball ... Henry, Schultz, Serong, Brayshaw, Switta, Aish, Walters, Freddy, JOM. Good teams might have a handful of these sized players, but we are well over the critical mass. The opposition don't mind letting them free and employ a bit of a zone, plus a spare man, and to pull off a kick that one of these tiny players can mark requires impeccable skills and no margin for error. So the defenders hesitate, and our ball movement problems ensue.

Look at start of 3rd quarter. Clark intercepts. Serong in the corridor ... won't kick it to him. Then you have Switta leading also up the middle. Won't kick it to him. Brayshaw calling for short kick. Kicks it to another midget Schultz, who gets the barest of touches on a ball that Sturt could easily mark. Not long after it spills to Henry. Switta is calling for it in space. Again won't kick it to him. Blast it long to Freddy. This is just what happens over and over again. Small players everywhere.

Carlton get it back and move it down field through kicking it to Cripps - Silvagni - Curnow. Taller players. Doesn't work this time. We get it back. Handball to Switta. Too small to reach the ball and opponent disrupts. Switta to his credit gets it back, but then monstered in a tackle and loses the ball again. Rinse and repeat. Carlton has a prolonged period near their goals. Amongst this Henry is in a mismatch on Cripps (competes well) and Serong gets swatted away in a clearance close to goal. Luckily the Blues don't make much of it. The times we get it back there are outlet kicks to Walters (rushed under pressure) and Darcy bombs one to Schultz who drops another mark. Clark eventually kicks it out on the full and we then concede a stupid goal to a small forward doing what they are supposed to do (crumb).

Centre bounce with 3 short people in. Darcy wins the tap yet again. Our players are swarmed and Brayshaw swallowed HTB by Cerra. We get it back and finally manage to target a tall player Amiss who lo and behold is able to get the mark. Fast break! But what do we have here? Long bomb to Schultz at FF!! Before the bounce I said to my uncle next to me ... WTF is Schultz doing in the goal square? How stupid is that? And guess what, the ball gets kicked to him and he has no chance. Ball rockets back up the field with ease, ending up in McGovern kicking a 55m goal.

We manage a hack centre bounce clearance from Serong, but it again goes to a midget Freddy. Ball again rebounds back up the field. Goes to Cripps who swats Brayshaw away like a fly and the ball ends up with Cerra for another 55m goal.

Tthe game is killed off with basically everything outside D50 on Freo's part going through small players who can't do anything useful, meanwhile Carlton is using bigger players like Cripps, Cerra, Silvagni, McGovern and kicking long bomb goals (that our small players wouldn't make the distance) with only brief involvement (as it should be) from small forwards.

Young, Chapman, O'Driscoll, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Worner, Stanley. The players are there with varying ability/potential/etc. But until enough of them reach the required level and experience (which will take 2-3 years, possibly more), we will struggle. Teams will kick goals against us (as described above) purely due to the physical limitations of our midget brigade, and no matter how hard they try, they can't do much better.
Yes we are rubbish overhead. We have absolutely nothing for the kick down the line or kick ins with someone to mark and ease the pressure a touch.

if adam cerra had any class or respect about him he would not have celebrated his (nice) goal the way he did

what has our club done to him. gifted him games, developed him, overpaid him and he walked away.

at least he went to an ordinary club with endless top up talent like acres. this win ensures voss survives a few more years and their pain continues

we could clearly do with adam and he is playing well, but i think amiss projects better.

if adam cerra had any class or respect about him he would not have celebrated his (nice) goal the way he did

Why? This isn't soccer where they do that bullshit. There is nothing wrong with celebrating a goal.

I started watching the forward running patterns when the game was gone and specifically Treacy.

What I liked most was when we took a mark between 50m and 70m out he worked hard straight towards Jye Amiss and said hello to his opponent, switching over with Jye leading into the open space. We didn't kick to him though.

You'll see this in the play right before Switta goaled. That contest from Treacy was against the opponent standing Amiss a moment earlier, Jye long gone leading at the ball carrier.
that one left me so annoyed. sometimes doing the team things is bad. he was the one best positioned to lead into the space in forward 50. he should have gotten a shot on goal. instead he blocked for jye. but by the time he got to jye. some defenders had gotten back.

first year treacy kicked more goals per game because he demanded the ball.

what has our club done to him. gifted him games, developed him, overpaid him and he walked away.

at least he went to an ordinary club with endless top up talent like acres. this win ensures voss survives a few more years and their pain continues

we could clearly do with adam and he is playing well, but i think amiss projects better.

I'm more annoyed that we let him run around and do as he wanted all day, collecting 10 coaches votes in the process.

Finals for 3-4 seasons should be the hope. A prelim or two would be a great run!

Hell I wouldnt mind a finals type run Port had under Ken Hinkley from 2013-21.

Sure no flags. But at least you win 5 finals in 9 seasons and 3 prelim finals. Its way better than the trash we have served up since round 1 of 2016.

We won’t win games with a midfield of Brayshaw, Serong, Erasmus, and Johnson. JOM is useless half the time. No big body. They just get bullied and pushed around.
I feel sorry for Fyfe and Walters.

They sign on for 2 more seasons. Trying to help the dockers make finals. How sad would it be if we cant make finals in 2024-5 with fyfe and Walters.

that one left me so annoyed. sometimes doing the team things is bad. he was the one best positioned to lead into the space in forward 50. he should have gotten a shot on goal. instead he blocked for jye. but by the time he got to jye. some defenders had gotten back.

first year treacy kicked more goals per game because he demanded the ball.

He was 10m away from the mark and Jye ran straight up an open corridor towards the ball carrier who ignored him.

Amiss should have been taking the shot on goal from 35m out straight in front.

When the coach talks about players playing within themselves and not for each other, that's what it is. Too scared to take the kick with all the value reward behind it.

If you're meaning Schultz's that wasn't even reviewed then I am sorry to say that it was a point, Freeze frame showed 100% of the ball wasn't 100% over the line before the chest mark began.

Hell I wouldnt mind a finals type run Port had under Ken Hinkley from 2013-21.

Sure no flags. But at least you win 5 finals in 9 seasons and 3 prelim finals. Its way better than the trash we have served up since round 1 of 2016.

Yeah I am onboard with that. Sure, everyone wants a flag but long periods of sustained winning seasons are underrated.

We just can't afford to waste huge chunks of our better players prime like we did with Sandi, Pav and McPharlin.

Geelong under Scott had one of those long finals runs that didn't get the job done until last year, the Cats fans were tearing their hair out over it.

Yeah they were - yet they were still in a more respected place than the ten teams who are up and down and all over the place.

Sure fans want the next step. We all do. I am just saying the long stretches of finals play and winning finals is underrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back