No Oppo Supporters The TAN 73 - Home of the reigning premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man was an amusement operator from the 50's - 90's and he operated the old style Juke Boxes - like the Jukes fonzie belted on Happy Days. Every week we would go to the record shop in Edwards St Reservoir and pick out the top 10 45's to populated to 20 Jukes on operation. Sometimes it was only 1-2 singles, but it was always what was popular at the time. The Jukes that came in for service in the Garage ( A large Garage at the back of the house at that time), were constantly being tested. From a very early age, all I listened to was Top 10 music. From Elvis, Beatles, Doors, Blondie, Led Zeppelin, Suzie Quattro, Sky Hooks, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Devo, ABBA, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Cher, The Eagles, The Sweet, Ted Mulry Gang, Hush, Bay City Rollers... the list goes on and on. So I think I had a well balanced musical upbringing. One sunny day, in 1975 or 76, a Jukebox was going through its paces and what happened next changed my life... It was the into to KISS' "Rock and Roll All Night"

From that point on, I would "cancel" the songs I couldn't listen to anymore. I just kept going back to "Rock and Roll all night". KISS singles were VERY slim pickings at that time. But I kept asking for them every time we went to the record store. FINALLY, there was a new single "Detroit Rock City" and on the "B" Side - "Beth". Better still, the new album was released the week later - my first Cassette - KISS "Destroyer".

This was the start of the journey towards the love of Hard Rock / Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal really didn't exist until it's defining moments in the early 80's - it was more Hard Rock in the 70's. The 70's had the best decade of music, but it also had the formation years of Heavy Metal. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and KISS. Even bands like Boston, Journey, Styx, Cheap Trick and Thin Lizzy joined in and then late in the 70's AC/DC and Van Halen. These core Hard Rock bands formed Heavy Metal, and then the Heavier bands came along - Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, WASP, Metallica and Slayer. Different genres popped up such as "Speed Metal", "Trash Metal", "Black Metal", "Progressive Metal".

You look at the Heavy Metal genre from it's humble beginnings to the changes from Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal, Thrash and every other sub genre that it eventually branched out to and come to the conclusion that although some consider it "noise" and not much else... It has always been there. While almost all other genres have their moment in the sun, trends come and go.. Heavy Metal has ALWAYS been popular. It will never go away like the Top 40 crap we have listened to all our lives. Metal is the cockroach of the music industry. Always will be.

I'm in my (very early) 50's but I'm still listening to all the bands above and the newer stuff that has been released from Dream Theater, Aldious, Wednesday13, Baby Metal, Ghost, Avatar, Gods of the Sun..

Great post. Early Kiss is awesome. Basic but great tunes. Ace is a very underrated guitarist, nothing flash but every one of his leads was memorable.

My old man was an amusement operator from the 50's - 90's and he operated the old style Juke Boxes - like the Jukes fonzie belted on Happy Days. Every week we would go to the record shop in Edwards St Reservoir and pick out the top 10 45's to populated to 20 Jukes on operation. Sometimes it was only 1-2 singles, but it was always what was popular at the time. The Jukes that came in for service in the Garage ( A large Garage at the back of the house at that time), were constantly being tested. From a very early age, all I listened to was Top 10 music. From Elvis, Beatles, Doors, Blondie, Led Zeppelin, Suzie Quattro, Sky Hooks, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Devo, ABBA, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Cher, The Eagles, The Sweet, Ted Mulry Gang, Hush, Bay City Rollers... the list goes on and on. So I think I had a well balanced musical upbringing. One sunny day, in 1975 or 76, a Jukebox was going through its paces and what happened next changed my life... It was the into to KISS' "Rock and Roll All Night"

From that point on, I would "cancel" the songs I couldn't listen to anymore. I just kept going back to "Rock and Roll all night". KISS singles were VERY slim pickings at that time. But I kept asking for them every time we went to the record store. FINALLY, there was a new single "Detroit Rock City" and on the "B" Side - "Beth". Better still, the new album was released the week later - my first Cassette - KISS "Destroyer".

This was the start of the journey towards the love of Hard Rock / Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal really didn't exist until it's defining moments in the early 80's - it was more Hard Rock in the 70's. The 70's had the best decade of music, but it also had the formation years of Heavy Metal. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and KISS. Even bands like Boston, Journey, Styx, Cheap Trick and Thin Lizzy joined in and then late in the 70's AC/DC and Van Halen. These core Hard Rock bands formed Heavy Metal, and then the Heavier bands came along - Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, WASP, Metallica and Slayer. Different genres popped up such as "Speed Metal", "Trash Metal", "Black Metal", "Progressive Metal".

You look at the Heavy Metal genre from it's humble beginnings to the changes from Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal, Thrash and every other sub genre that it eventually branched out to and come to the conclusion that although some consider it "noise" and not much else... It has always been there. While almost all other genres have their moment in the sun, trends come and go.. Heavy Metal has ALWAYS been popular. It will never go away like the Top 40 crap we have listened to all our lives. Metal is the cockroach of the music industry. Always will be.

I'm in my (very early) 50's but I'm still listening to all the bands above and the newer stuff that has been released from Dream Theater, Aldious, Wednesday13, Baby Metal, Ghost, Avatar, Gods of the Sun..
You're not an ex Ressie High or Kingsbury Tech lad are you Neen?

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post. Early Kiss is awesome. Basic but great tunes. Ace is a very underrated guitarist, nothing flash but every one of his leads was memorable.

Ace is criminally underrated. Does not understand the theory behind music, nor can he read sheet music. He learnt to play from listening to records. As a live performer, he is the best I've ever seen, even though not technically gifted as his contemporaries. Probably influenced more modern day guitarists than most other guitarists from the Hard Rock scene of the 70's. How many times have we heard "I pulled out KISS Alive and it changed my life".

Ace is criminally underrated. Does not understand the theory behind music, nor can he read sheet music. He learnt to play from listening to records. As a live performer, he is the best I've ever seen, even though not technically gifted as his contemporaries. Probably influenced more modern day guitarists than most other guitarists from the Hard Rock scene of the 70's. How many times have we heard "I pulled out KISS Alive and it changed my life".
Not me! Never bought a KISS record or listened to any of their stuff!
Automatically turn off the CD/Radio/Tv if i see/hear them perform...pfftt...

Rice Cooker Terror in New York.
Police are looking for grains of evidence. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Rice Cooker Terror in New York.
Police are looking for grains of evidence. :D
rimshot.gif

He was support to the last Alice Cooper tour, must say time has not been kind to him...

I remember a Kiss concert in Sydney when he had pyrotechnics shoot from his guitar and brought down some stage lights!

Well done, a collector's edition.
I used to like early Gary Numan.
Would have been 10 when I purchased the single released in 1979.

I had older brothers who liked British post-punk, The Cure, they saw this tour.
1981-08_australia.jpg

Last edited:
Well done, a collector's edition.
I used to like early Gary Numan.
Would have been 10 when I purchased the single released in 1979.

I had older brothers who liked British post-punk, The Cure, they saw this tour.
View attachment 730257

I saw the Cure at the UniBar at the ANU then again during the Wallflower tour

I think you were debating chicken versus quail.
A bird with heavier bones is tastier than one without.
The bones add to the flavour.
It is an old saying that the meat joined to the bone is the tastiest.

Jewish penicillin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back