The Training the House Down 2017 edition thread (2017 pre-season)

Remove this Banner Ad

JOR running has improved from last year but feel with the new additions he's going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get midfield time. Or at least take his chances while JOM eased in. Pace an issue, doesn't seem to have a second string. Lovell jumped the queue from my observations.

Happy to hear I'm not the only one who thinks Lovell has over taken JOR

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did anyone see the last training session video & Langford kick the footy to top the square? Was it Langers fault for the defender taking the mark or the forwards fault for leading?

On the plus side with that kick, it wasn't a high bomb and pray. He kicked low and hard. He over kicked, of course, but the type of kick was encouraging. It's what I think we need more of in crowded situations. The intensity of pre-season is way down compared to a game, of course, but I hope that shot reflects our forward entry intentions this year.

Is that Connor Nash standing next to Frawley at the beginning of this short clip? That kid is a monster. Only 18? Wow.

https://t.co/2xQG7eLUJZ

That is him and he is a monster. One of the players also mentioned that he had been beating Issac Smith in some of the running.
He is certainly a big unit, perhaps a descendant of one of the legendary Irish Giants, which incidentally has a genetic basis in people from Northern Island. See http://www.irishtimes.com/news/stud...f-irish-giants-had-a-grain-of-truth-1.1276552 and http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featurednews/title_547070_en.html
The full article from the NEJM is here for the genetically inclined http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1008020#t=article

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a chance to watch the camp on the Sunny Coast as my young fella was water boy for the week. Have to agree, the grounds are impressive but disagree about your assessment of JOM. Today he was in the blue singlet which is awarded to best trainer from the day before. He and T Mitchell on similar program of light running, skills and boxing. Both looking in great nick. JOM competed in semi competitive drills today and looked composed and confident. No sign of favouring the knee.

Mitchell spent some time kicking ball to Rough who was leading out of the square. Geez the big fella has trained well, couldn't help but reflect on what might have been. Have him a lock for round one.

My young bloke told me Vickery was trying hard but I could see he was struggling with instructions and Clarko was pulling him aside for further clarification at times. Hope he proves me wrong but there is a real class difference between him and Rough when watching them doing similar drills.

The new draftees and being nursed along. Mitch Lewis a great size but don't expect any of them to be playing next year as all lightly framed, all look highly skilled though.

The Irish lads are coming along. Both Conors good athletes with the "Nash" version out running Smith at times. Good size too.

Apart from the usual senior stars thought the following looked like making an impression next year:

Stewart...... a real goer
Lovell.........great size and much fitter than last year, could surprise.
Pitttonet.....had the blue singlet earlier in the week. Starting to fill out.
Howe......shows real leadership. Fit and firing.
Burton......... geez this bloke is all class. Can see why he got the #5. Still has size to put on but look out 2018

Track Leaders... Shiels, Smith, Whitecross

Ceglar moving well with no bandage, just straight line stuff,

Interesting about Poppy who was quizzed by the young fella about his modified program. Confessed to carrying a leg niggle throughout last season but played through it. Said he'd be right to go.

Hope this sheds a bit of light about the week that was, happy to answer questions (don't make them too hard?)

Get excited about JOM, Mitchell, Burton, Lovell ...the new era begins

I refrained from reading this thread after the JOM comment regarding his knee, I was anxious it was going to give me a migraine coming back here. But after reading this (without going through the next few pages) I am very very happy. Thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back