Preview The ultimate test: Round 5 Adelaide @ Hawthorn - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 10 minutes will be pretty hot in the kitchen... I won't be surprised to see both sides go with a bit of knuckle... looking forward to seeing how the Don rolls when the cheap shots come... it's time to end them...
Most of our games have been hot early & we have managed to hold our nerve & actually win our 1st quarters.

Big improvement on last year when we usually gave up early goals & played catch up.

The first 4 weeks have been all about seeing where we're at. No different this week.

First 3 weeks showed we're good enough for the 6-12 conversation.
Sydney showed we're in the 5-8 conversation
This week will see if we're in the 1-4 conversation
Honestly I think we won't know for a while whether we are top-4 material.

Still early days.

What I want to see from us this week.

Intense pressure on their defence so they can't easily control the tempo/launch their attacks like usual by getting organised.

Particularly we must lockdown on their setup players - McGovern to hurt birchall with his controlled aggression at every opportunity. Probably cc on burgoyne or Hodge as they rotate their midfielders back.

We can't stop Mitchell finding the ball, but we sure can put him under pressure to distribute like he normally does. Dougy is the man for the job for most of the night.

Breust always kicks bags against us. For me this means our best lockdown defender in Brown. Keep breust quiet & lessens their avenues to goal. Means laird on rioli.

Not so fussed how our tall defender matchup, as I think they are flexible enough to cover all opponents with roughy out. Talia should take gunston close to goal, but either hartigan or lever can take him further up the ground. Keeping the tall structure imo is more important in defence.

We just can't afford them to have plenty of easy uncontested possessions as they will cut us up with skill. We must lockdown their key distributors or we will get the usual result.

Finally, we must continue the run & gun when we have control. They have shown to be vulnerable at times to quick movement. This is a must if we are to win.

Last edited:

Look no offense but thats the stupidest analogy. That would only apply if the Hawks were permanently the best team in the competition. How about thinking a little harder and try and come up with an actual analogy that applies.

Weather patterns aren't permanent.

Sometimes it's not the effort of thinking so much as the capacity to do so I guess.

Scary, the footy show all picking us. Except Sam.
Must be the first time I've watched this show in 20 years.

Honestly I think we won't know for a while whether we are top-4 material.

Still early days.
4-1 with wins over Swans and Hawks, we shouldn't be aiming for anything less than top 4. Not saying we'll get there, but we would be in that conversation. Right at this minute I'm thinking just top 8 is possible. Tomorrow night will tell us a fair bit.. and then so will round 6... 7... 8....

Scary, the footy show all picking us. Except Sam.
Must be the first time I've watched this show in 20 years.

Is Eddie still there?

Used to watch the show all the time and it was enjoyable before the Fox Footy era really took off, but now it's just sad and pathetic. One day I tuned in and it literally had a segment talking about taking a s**t.

Milera Hampton and B. Crouch our outs. What impact does this have on our best 22 and overall team performance.

4-1 with wins over Swans and Hawks, we shouldn't be aiming for anything less than top 4. Not saying we'll get there, but we would be in that conversation. Right at this minute I'm thinking just top 8 is possible. Tomorrow night will tell us a fair bit.. and then so will round 6... 7... 8....

To win tomorrow night would take so much heat off the team in away games for the remainder of the season, confidence of beating the Hawks at the G would take us deep into September.

Yes the lid will be truly blown off.

Milera Hampton and B. Crouch our outs. What impact does this have on our best 22 and overall team performance.
Hampton needs to come in before he is considered an out. ;)

Cameron is at this time in his career a better player than milera, so should make us stronger.

Lyons has contributed solidly for brouch.

... So no excuses for taking it up to the hawks.

Tomorrow for me reads "statement to be made"

Hawks side is quite strong at the moment and deserve our full respect.

Tomorrow nights game could be something we all look back upon in many years from now. The club doesn't beat around the bush anymore, they mean business.

Im confident we wont see much if at all Hampton in 2016, it has injury plagued season written all over it for him.

On the plus side though, hopefully Milera, Brouch and Menzel force themselves in. Its nice knowing should the worse happen tomorrow night, we still have a weapon or two up our sleeves should we face the Hawks again in 2016.

To win tomorrow night would take so much heat off the team in away games for the remainder of the season, confidence of beating the Hawks at the G would take us deep into September.

Yes the lid will be truly blown off.
Not meaning to be rude but that is total nonsense. Lid blown off? Serious? Does anyone remember 05 & 06? Our depth hasn't even been tested yet.
We're playing well, we're starting to get good systems in place, we've got a good forward line and some good defensive structures but the lid isn't even screwed on for it to come off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not meaning to be rude but that is total nonsense. Lid blown off? Serious? Does anyone remember 05 & 06? Our depth hasn't even been tested yet.
We're playing well, we're starting to get good systems in place, we've got a good forward line and some good defensive structures but the lid isn't even screwed on for it to come off.

Trust me, if we beat the Hawks tomorrow night, the lid will be blown off. Im not saying we will win it, Im just saying the expectations will be much much higher if were to win tomorrow night.

Full spread in the tiser and each media footy show will cover the story in depth and have us a premiership fancy.

We would have beaten 2 of last years Top 4 after the H&A in Sydney and Hawks and pushed North to within 10 pts too. We should also beat Freo the following week at home as well.

Not a lot.
Hampton: yet to play
Crouch: not really fired with only 2 games.
Milera: done a few good things but can be replaced by Cameron. Although Cameron is less polished should get more of the ball.

Not a lot.
Hampton: yet to play
Crouch: not really fired with only 2 games.
Milera: done a few good things but can be replaced by Cameron. Although Cameron is less polished should get more of the ball.

Expect a lot more defensive pressure I50 by CC tomorrow night, it will be a big asset in our forward line.

Yes I remember 05/06 very well. We were real contenders. I don't rate us as real contenders this year despite the start and last week's win. If we win tomorrow I will consider us real contenders.

Does that mean we win the flag? No. But it means I will consider us a red hot go at getting top 4 and playing in a prelim. From there, anything can happen.

Yes I remember 05/06 very well. We were real contenders. I don't rate us as real contenders this year despite the start and last week's win. If we win tomorrow I will consider us real contenders.

Does that mean we win the flag? No. But it means I will consider us a red hot go at getting top 4 and playing in a prelim. From there, anything can happen.
It's round 5.

+1

Exactly wins like this can and will set up our season. I agree, no one is saying we will win the flag as thats ridiculous. However, we will start to begin the process of moving into a better position in the 8.

+1

Exactly wins like this can and will set up our season. I agree, no one is saying we will win the flag as thats ridiculous. However, we will start to begin the process of moving into a better position in the 8.
Agree, but this is far from the lid being off. I'm a reforming pessimist verging on daily rationalist.

Agree, but this is far from the lid being off. I'm a reforming pessimist verging on daily rationalist.

If we beat the Hawks tomorrow night, good luck trying to get onto the forum. It will be one of those nights were Crows supporters will crash Bigfooty.

The lid will be off, no one is saying we won or will win the flag, but rather expectations will be high. 2005-6 is an entirely different era and game.

The stats suggest that the Top 8 rarely at all changes after the half way mark, usually all that is left is positioning given that the easier part of our draw is later in the year, we have every reason to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back