Society & Culture Things That Used to Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

They go back for millennia for some cultures, Yes.
Yep, been around for a while

Your tasteless comment is interesting, it's not wrong from your view, and it's pretty much truth with art and fashion that it's up to you whether you like what you see or not, but just because it's not your thing doesn't mean it's going to go away.

Yep, been around for a while

Your tasteless comment is interesting, it's not wrong from your view, and it's pretty much truth with art and fashion that it's up to you whether you like what you see or not, but just because it's not your thing doesn't mean it's going to go away.

No....My claim was that it's both a trend & a fad in our Western society.....Where any cultural basis for them is fairly well non-existent.

No....My claim was that it's both a trend & a fad in our Western society.....Where any cultural basis for them is fairly well non-existent.
Tattoo culture in western society isn't new

Neither is things coming in and out of fashion

Tatts might be trendy but they are a little different to a pair of pants, bit harder to get rid of if fashion changes

Tattoo culture in western society isn't new

Neither is things coming in and out of fashion

Tatts might be trendy but they are a little different to a pair of pants, bit harder to get rid of if fashion changes

Tattoo removalists can make a decent living, I hear.

Made a bad decision one night with an ink gun did we?

No....Never had one, nor an ear piercing.

Just never appealed to me as a kid really......Made my mind up about both at 12 & have never had reason to change my opinion since.

The last stats i read on Tatts were 20% of adults had a tattoo of some type

Hardly staggering numbers
Sure, but the numbers were probably less than 5 per cent just 20 years ago. There's nothing inherently wrong with tatts but, like anything, when it becomes 'on trend' you find many more ridiculous ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TV.

I just saw one of those old Channel 9 'Still The One' ads from 2003. Remember when we were grateful to have a few American sitcoms, a few American crime shows, some pointless Aussie reality shows, and the news? Seeing the ad brings back fond memories. But it highlights just how far we've come in fifteen years - as one doco presenter put it, 'In the twenty-first century, you need never be bored.' Nowadays traditional terrestrial TV is dying because it just can't compete with the internet for quality and variety. In another fifteen years, traditional TV will be a mere niche platform.

TV.

I just saw one of those old Channel 9 'Still The One' ads from 2003. Remember when we were grateful to have a few American sitcoms, a few American crime shows, some pointless Aussie reality shows, and the news? Seeing the ad brings back fond memories. But it highlights just how far we've come in fifteen years - as one doco presenter put it, 'In the twenty-first century, you need never be bored.' Nowadays traditional terrestrial TV is dying because it just can't compete with the internet for quality and variety. In another fifteen years, traditional TV will be a mere niche platform.

I remember having to stay up to 10.30pm or even 11.30pm or midnight for the good shows to start (the earlier stuff was and still is mostly dogshit). And it would never start on time. And you'd have to sit through ad breaks.

Hilarious compared to now. Get home from work, torrent whatever good US or UK shows aired there yesterday, by the time dinner's finished they're ready to watch, go to bed at a normal hour, cringe at *os at work who talk about My Kitchen Rules and The Bachelor.

Was in the US earlier this year so was watching some shows I like as they aired there. * I'd forgotten how annoying ad breaks are.

TV.

I just saw one of those old Channel 9 'Still The One' ads from 2003. Remember when we were grateful to have a few American sitcoms, a few American crime shows, some pointless Aussie reality shows, and the news?
Not a big ABC watcher? :)

Not a big ABC watcher? :)

I remember they didn't show Extras (Ricky Gervais comedy after The Office) until season 2 had aired in the UK. No doubt some baby boomer campaigner in Ultimo thought "We'll wait and show both seasons back to back, perfect".

Now ******* Doctor Who is basically their flagship show and good local stuff is buried on iview (obviously not commissioned by whoever runs the main channel). Get ****ed.

I still like ABC and to a lesser degree SBS, particularly for news and documentaries, but their flaws show now. Have either of them made a great drama series in the last 5 years?

I remember they didn't show Extras (Ricky Gervais comedy after The Office) until season 2 had aired in the UK. No doubt some baby boomer campaigner in Ultimo thought "We'll wait and show both seasons back to back, perfect".

Now ******* Doctor Who is basically their flagship show and good local stuff is buried on iview (obviously not commissioned by whoever runs the main channel). Get ******.

I still like ABC and to a lesser degree SBS but their flaws show now. Have either of them made a great drama series in the last 5 years?
That'll happen when you cut tens of millions from their budget.

I am actually but the bulk of my ABC consumption is listening to podcasts and watching iView on demand. I hardly ever watch live TV of any channel.
Back then, I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back