Tim Paine caught in sexting scandal, resigns as Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Cummins will have the title but Smith will be the one directing traffic on field

The advantage of Smith as vice captain will be his ability to tell Cummins when he should be bowling and when he should take a spell. I've captained as a bowler and sometimes it's difficult to know exactly when you should be bowling. You tend to either over-bowl yourself or not enough. Cummins is our key, and he needs to be bowling at the right time.

For people who are against Smith as vice captain, I've yet to hear alternative suggestions ... well, none that make any sense. Smith's done the job and I can see him being a genuine help to Cummins.

The advantage of Smith as vice captain will be his ability to tell Cummins when he should be bowling and when he should take a spell. I've captained as a bowler and sometimes it's difficult to know exactly when you should be bowling. You tend to either over-bowl yourself or not enough. Cummins is our key, and he needs to be bowling at the right time.

For people who are against Smith as vice captain, I've yet to hear alternative suggestions ... well, none that make any sense. Smith's done the job and I can see him being a genuine help to Cummins.

I see no reason to not have Smith as VC. Indeed he's done penance & perhaps should be Captain again.

Some have mentioned Labuschagne as a possible VC. I think at this stage he comes across as too much of an idiot. Perhaps if he grows up a bit he may be a future leader.

I still dont know people are worried about this now with cummins as skipper but not the last few years where cummins actually has been bowled into the ground, just look at records going back to the last ashes cummins has played every test and has bowled more overs than any other quick in all 4 series, only lyon bowled more overs and not by that much.

1. He’s not a leader’s a-hole.

2. He was bog average tactically.

There’s more but do we really need more given 1 and 2?

A vice captain is not a captain. And the individual needs of the captain dictates the role of his deputy. I recall Ian Chappell saying he was Bill Lawry's vice captain for a dozen Tests or so, Bill asked Chappell's opinion once, they disagreed and Lawry never asked him again. I see Smith's role as a supporting one, and not a lot to worry about.

Surprised at how many people think Steve Smith is incapable of learning from his mistakes of the past.

It's a common line of thinking these days that if you make a mistake, you don't deserve forgiveness. Ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a common line of thinking these days that if you make a mistake, you don't deserve forgiveness. Ever.
It was more a response to those who say he shouldn't be captain because he was a weak or poor leader, rather than a comment about forgiveness.

I can understand people thinking some things are unforgivable, even if I don't agree with it in this case.

Sandpapergate was a huge scandal, not just a 'mistake'.

The scandal was as big as the media wanted it to be, every team has tampered with the ball in one way or another. Smith has done his time and no doubt is a very different person and leader to who he was 5 years ago.

So people can never grow or improve? You make a mistake 5 years ago And u can never be captain for the rest of your life? Grow up, what nonsense.
Sandpapergate was the cherry on top of a growing perception that Smith wasn't a very good skipper and while I'm happy for him as vc and support for Cummins, I'm also happy that he'll never have the job fulltime again.

Your own poor comprehension and want to project onto others your own confusion, as if it their own thinking, is up sh*t creek without a paddle.

The only thing I’ve said is people can grow over time and you had a meltdown about narrow perception, so I’ll ask again, are you okay?

Sandpapergate was the cherry on top of a growing perception that Smith wasn't a very good skipper and while I'm happy for him as vc and support for Cummins, I'm also happy that he'll never have the job fulltime again.

I won’t argue that smith is a great captain, but who else is there? Sometimes your best choice might not be that great. I think having one of your main bowlers as captain is going to cause a lot of issues, captain bowlers notoriously struggle to bowl themselves the right amount as they over analyse, and get massively fatigued whilst fielding which impacts decision making.

IMO, Tim Paine is a handsome guy. Let's be honest here, he is not going to be short of female attention if he was a single guy at a pub or club.

The texts were clearly sexual between both parties. That can't be argued.

Is it therefore reasonable for Paine to send an x rated pic once a women says she is having "naughty thoughts" about him?

I think most would agree that it is bold, but it isn't unreasonable when you consider the tone of the conversation.

People will argue there was no direct consent. She has said she is having naughty thoughts about him. He has sent her a x rated pic.

Hardly unreasonable.

It is a bit disingenuous to then claim she felt uncomfortable or offended. Of course, a more direct examination of recent history might shed some light on this new found unease with x rated pics. However, in this day and age, that is seen as "victim blaming".

Simply put, the lesson here is not to send incriminating pictures to independent, strong women who, if the right circumstances present, will happily adopte the damsel in distress persona if it suits them.
Except that in the actual text exchange she said she thought they were stopping, and then told paine she was getting ready for work. The conversation was completely one sided.

Besides, saying a dirty thing or two is not an equal or equivalent thing to paine sending a dick pic. If a woman walked up to you in a bar and started flirting with you, you wouldn't immediately drop your pants.

I won’t argue that smith is a great captain, but who else is there? Sometimes your best choice might not be that great. I think having one of your main bowlers as captain is going to cause a lot of issues, captain bowlers notoriously struggle to bowl themselves the right amount as they over analyse, and get massively fatigued whilst fielding which impacts decision making.
I agree that bowlers are the exception as captains but Cummins so far in his career has thrived on every challenge thrown at him hopefully as captain he continue to do this. As you point out, we don't have a lot of options at the moment and Cummins seems to feel like the right one to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back