Strategy Time to look to the future

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I saw in 2014, I do know that we won't do a Bulldogs or Saints style fall off the cliff. But neither will we ever be able to do a 2013 manic pressure game again, either - so time has come to start turning the wheel and building up the Dockers of the late 2010s so that we both have one last shot for Sandi and Pav as well as another surge when the likes of Fyfe and Neale are in their prime.

I'm not being a smart arse here, but that's exactly what could happen to you. Lyon threw everything into the Here and Now at St Kilda, and what happened? A few years later, their list is gutted and they have to completely rebuild from the ground up with kids.

It's the way Lyon coaches, and it's basically what you got him for: to win a flag "Now". You may well go through a Saints 2012-4 phase from next year onwards.....

I'm not being a smart arse here, but that's exactly what could happen to you. Lyon threw everything into the Here and Now at St Kilda, and what happened? A few years later, their list is gutted and they have to completely rebuild from the ground up with kids.

It's the way Lyon coaches, and it's basically what you got him for: to win a flag "Now". You may well go through a Saints 2012-4 phase from next year onwards.....

Neale and Fyfe were are better players today.

You hope. Good luck with that.

Not sure free agents are a definite no no tbh. This year they all suck apart from Frawley who'll simply cost too much money but that's not to say next year or the year after will be the same. Free Agents are essentially a free player. At the end of 2015 any quality player defender or key forward born in 1989 or after would be more than welcome IMO.

Our next core group is probably built around Hill (1990), Clarke (1990), Walters (1991), Fyfe (1991), Crozier (1993), Neale (1993) and Sutcliffe (1992) with many other question marks around these guys. What this group lacks is key position players and small defenders. If free agency can get us a guy who'll be best 22 in the age range or one or two years older then why not? People forget our list was worse than this at the end of 2008. Of that list we had Pav (27), Sandi (26), McPharlin (27), Mundy (23), Duffield (23), Johnson (24), Crowley (24), Ibbotson (20), Mayne (20) only of our current best 22.

Last edited:
Neale , Crozier and Sutty are all locks in our 22. Need a young KPP to come on in leaps and bounds next year, hopefully Alex Pearce puts on some size because all the feedback on him is good. Need to unearth another Elite talent through the middle of the ground, too many times tonight I watched Wines or Wingard do something that most of our players aren't capable of.
Port unearthed talent when they bottomed out. We won't get straight up elite players in our circumstance we have to develop aka Neale,Sutty.
We all need to remember how well Port went mix year with no Carlisle and Trengrove. Port we're fit, we limped into the finals. Just not our year.

Couple of differences... Firstly let's get it straight... Geelong are about to go through that, I think we have a year or two before we do.

Secondly, Duffy, crozier, neale, taberner, hannath, Simpson, sutcliffe, smith and there are others are all young players who have been brought to the club and played senior footy, that didn't happen at the saints... Ross has learnt his lesson there

Thirdly, we have brought in three free agents, none who are on massive wages. For example Sylvia was offered more
To stay at Melbourne, gumbleton was on very little and Pearce we may have overpaid slightly but certainly hasn't broken our bank. So we haven't exactly pulled all stops to get whoever we could over here for the "here and now"

We are aging no doubt, but unlike the saints we have some younglings waiting for an opportunity ready to go.

If I were Geelong, id be really worried, because other than selwood and Johnson you have very little in the way of a grade talent coming through... Motlop maybe? Hawkins? Meh..... Cupboard is looking fairly bare at the cattery imo

No way should we be rushing into a rebuild that will be forced on us in a couple of years not time to pull trigger yet.
Must get ruthless at trading table bring in a couple of senior players Leunberger perfect fit with a reshuffle at table he is A grade and got 5 years in him Jarrod Waite yer why not and couldnt give a rats asre what these guys get paid. As long as we are top 4 contenders.
Not so worried about defenders they can be manufactured Ross is smart enough to find some in the next couple of years look what Mick has done with Sam Rowe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem most opposition fans are too stupid to comprehend, is that Lyon isn't even in charge of our list management. Get it? This stuff isn't up to him. I hope I've cleared that up for you.

We can win in 2015 with this group, but it depends on how much they want it. They need to develop a ruthless killer instinct.

They need to develop KPP,small lock-down defenders.
Our drafts of 2010 & 2012 have not helped our cause one bit.
2008,2009 and 2011 have been pretty kind to us,fingers crossed we have a solid draft this year.

The problem most opposition fans are too stupid to comprehend, is that Lyon isn't even in charge of our list management. Get it? This stuff isn't up to him. I hope I've cleared that up for you.

This stuff infuriates me,surely they can see there is marked difference between Lyon at the saints v's freo.

I'm pretty sure the saints traded away their first three picks in the 2009 draft,this hasn't happened at freo.

Bond/Lloyd draft,Lyon coaches and develops.

It's understandable given you're an opposition supporter, but this shows a complete lack of understanding about the state of our list and the fact that Lyon actually has decent youth at his disposal this time around, who he has duly given game time. Obviously we'll struggle when Pav, Sandi and McPharlin go, but there's enough quality in the 21-26 age bracket to make sure we don't fall off a cliff.

E
This stuff infuriates me,surely they can see there is marked difference between Lyon at the saints v's freo.

I'm pretty sure the saints traded away their first three picks in the 2009 draft,this hasn't happened at freo.

Bond/Lloyd draft,Lyon coaches and develops.

Exactly. There's absolutely no comparison between the Sainta of 2011 and Freo of 2014. We haven't traded away the draft picks in the way the Saints did and also, we already have more under 24 YO guns in our side than the Saints ever did. And as for our friend from Geelong, I'd suggest your club's golden run is about to end in a big way.

True, but you're a dumbass. Lyon has played youth here, Taberner/Neale/Sutcliffe/Crozier, all young players that played every final game. Sheridan/Duffy/Apeness also played games. Maybe you should do the slightest bit of research before mentioning something he did at a different club :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back