To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Will losing the QF improve our chances of winning the flag?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Take the win every day of the week.

Though I have been thinking that should we make the GF and lose do we all of a sudden have ourselves in that window (to contend for a Flag)?

Or because it was expected to be a year of assessment and beginning a rebuild, even losing is a success?

I personally think making the finals is a win in 2022 just on its own no matter what happens from here.

Take the win every day of the week.

Though I have been thinking that should we make the GF and lose do we all of a sudden have ourselves in that window (to contend for a Flag)?

Or because it was expected to be a year of assessment and beginning a rebuild, even losing is a success?

I personally think making the finals is a win in 2022 just on its own no matter what happens from here.
Making the finals was utterly unexpected and the - minimum - 2 finals games will be seriously good for this youngish group.

You simply can't buy that sort of experience - we will meet 3 or 4 of the best teams in the business at this time in the crucible of finals.

Its good to keep a positive attitude after a loss, but I'd hate for us to go "mission accomplished". Getting cute gets you wrecked.

We did parlay a loss in 2018 to WC into a GF loss against WC, and had we won vs the Eagles we wouldn't have met a sick Richmond and we would not have made the GF IMHO, so you can spin losses for their unexpected benefits, but at the end of the day you play to win.

Be fricken hilarious to get the Kittywobbles up and running.

A win is definitely better. Make Geelong play out the four games if they want to make the GF.

If all other games go according to ladder position we will meet the swans in the pf at home…. whilst Melbourne and Geelong smash each other up on the other side of the draw.
Would we met the Swans at the Mcg in a home PF when they finished higher than us and what if they beat the Dees, if Richmond beat the Lions easily and I expect them to they would become a threat to any of us including The Dees and Cats.

We did parlay a loss in 2018 to WC into a GF loss against WC, and had we won vs the Eagles we wouldn't have met a sick Richmond and we would not have made the GF IMHO.
Nah. Dees were god awful against WCEin the prelim. We would have smashed them and then hit the GF fresher and have another cup.

Would we met the Swans at the Mcg in a home PF when they finished higher than us and what if they beat the Dees, if Richmond beat the Lions easily and I expect them to they would become a threat to any of us including The Dees and Cats.

Ladder position becomes irrelevant when finals start. Win a QF and you win a home preliminary final.

At the end of the day you have to beat good teams to progress in finals. No value in losing a qf except you have earned a second chance.

Josh Daicos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hoping Richmond get knocked out of the finals, they are the concern to me. The others I can definitely see us beating. So if we lose Saturday we’ll have the dogs and freo covered. Losing in the QF in 2018 worked out well for us.

That will also likely force Geelong into a prelim against Melbourne... the two best teams and one of them won’t make the gf
So if the Pies win the Granny are we still not contenders because we didn't beat anyone in the 8?

So if the Pies win the Granny are we still not contenders because we didn't beat anyone in the 8?
It improves our chances if we are in the easier side of the draw in the pf whilst the two favourites fight to the death on the other side...

If we beat geelong and Melbourne along the way ( or Geelong twice) as who we meet in the prelim we will deserve our spoils

It improves our chances if we are in the easier side of the draw in the pf whilst the two favourites fight to the death on the other side...

If we beat geelong and Melbourne along the way ( or Geelong twice) as who we meet in the prelim we will deserve our spoils
I was just maintaining the "lie"

Slightly off topic.

We can rest easy knowing the 3 true enemies cannot win the flag this year.

But we must act fast, we need to flag before any of them to maintain our alpha status.

If we do that we'll be undisputed king of the heap over the history of the competition.

Equal most flags

Most finals wins

Most GF's

Most wins.

Come on Pies, please don't let the enemy edge ahead of us :praying::praying::praying:

I am not suggesting doing it or that losing the QF is some sort of goal just that if it eventuates losing the QF has advantages that it didnt before 2016 and this year that may work for us.

My view here has nothing to do with Collingwood specifically, just how we may be influenced by a stupid rule the AFL bought in.

Obviously I do sit alone here but I always thought in theory the week off, on, off the QF winner has is one no coach would choose to haveIn some ways simiar to the extra week Essendon had in 1990 when we drew WCE. It slows teams momentum. Reckon the 5 out of 12 QF winners winning their PF supports the thought the finals bye works against the QF winner. If we end up in that spot it may be of help to us come PF day.
While l get where your coming from in this, l think were we are as a team, they are not ready for it.

Well if it was ever a chance of being true it isn’t any longer. Going through a preliminary final at the SCG certainly isn’t an impossible ask but it‘s a lot harder than a home prelim against Melbourne or Brisbane.

Well if it was ever a chance of being true it isn’t any longer. Going through a preliminary final at the SCG certainly isn’t an impossible ask but it‘s a lot harder than a home prelim against Melbourne or Brisbane.
We don't wanna play Swans at SCG in a prelim. We want all our finals at the MCG thanks. Must beat Geelong.

To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Back