To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Will losing the QF improve our chances of winning the flag?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are a long shot to win the flag but losing the QF and then winning the SF is probably the path that gives us the best chance to win the PF.
I also think we are a long shot.
We have a history of wearing ourselves out in finals and I’d prefer to avoid that if we can.

Agree I want to win next week. Its just speculation based on us realistically being the weakest team in the top4. Beating Geelong in the QF would be fantastic but some of me is thinking maybe we are a better chance to go all the way if we lose. Would stand a good chance of beating either Dogs/Freo next week and I would rather enter a PF with 2 straight games behind us.

I think we are a long shot to win the flag but losing the QF and then winning the SF is probably the path that gives us the best chance to win the PF.
Understand your reasoning but although I respect what the pussies can do at their sardine can they won't be playing there. They have the more mature list but they are coddled by the draw every year.

I'll be interested to see where they are with 5 minutes to go.

We need to do what ever is best for Taylor Adams. We are not winning the flag with out him up and firing. My guess is he needs the extra rest

Understand your reasoning but although I respect what the pussies can do at their sardine can they won't be playing there. They have the more mature list but they are coddled by the draw every year.

I'll be interested to see where they are with 5 minutes to go.
I want to win the QF but as much as anything I am pointing out that losing it is no longer the same issue as it was before the finals bye came in. Before that the QF winners had, rightly, a bit of a monopoly on the flag. Now that the bye has penalised them, and the results of the 6 years support that, teams coming from below the QF winners have a much better chance of upsetting them. That may well play into our hands this year

I want to win the QF but as much as anything I am pointing out that losing it is no longer the same issue as it was before the finals bye came in. Before that the QF winners had, rightly, a bit of a monopoly on the flag. Now that the bye has penalised them, and the results of the 6 years support that, teams coming from below the QF winners have a much better chance of upsetting them. That may well play into our hands this year
Our circumstances in this season are unique in the history of Australian football - there really are no parallels. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if our finals campaign is scrutinized very carefully indeed whether we flag or not.

I also think we are a long shot.
We have a history of wearing ourselves out in finals and I’d prefer to avoid that if we can.
In years gone past I would agree we have run out of legs (2011 being the supreme example) but this season I think it feels different we may travelling the best of any them. Certainly the rest wonder how we keep getting up in the close ones and I think it worries them as lot even the Cats,over the last 12 wks we have not had a settled side but we still kept winning.

I think with the advent of the bye it means teams finishing 5 to 8th are a better chance to win it and certainly the Tigers could win from 6 or 7 the others not so, so all in all we are running on top of the ground as well as anyone it certainly does not feel like 2011 where we were gone from the final qtr against the Lions, thats where my dream came undone that year.

I worry about the Dees and Tigers as much as any others teams actually probably more than the others but we shall see.

We will beat Geelong

- our line up is more settled and cohesive as a team than last time we played them

- since 2013 Geelong have won only 1 of their past 7 qualifying finals

They are historically poor off the bye, finals chokers and flat track bullies

Beat the cats and it’s likely Sydney/Melb at the mcg which is certainly winnable

What a year, as Ralph Fiennes might say "Its like a fairytale"

Things have rolled our way and maybe that will continue long enough to snag a flag. Are we the best list? Lets make the irrelevent for the moment. Truth is the AFL finals series pays little heed to fairness. The fact that the top 4 teams start the finals with an equal chance of winning the flag is patently wrong in a comp that should reward finishing on top. Its been made worse since the finals week off came in which has taken away one of the advantages the QF winners had of a week off while others continued to play. Now the QF winner had a disadvantaged compared to their PF opponent going week off, week on week off while the other has the perfect prep of week off then 2 games leading into the PF. No coach would advocate 2 weeks off in 3 as a good prep for the PF.

Has this changed anything? Well in the 10 years prior to the chance 18 out out 20 (90%) of QF winners won their PF. Since the change 5 of 12 (41%) of QF winners have won their PF. Losing the QF wont help our chances of a good finals campaign but it might enhance the chance of actually winning the flag. My answer is yes
Gone is the time for calculation, we should have been resting players in the lead up to the finals is what I would have done. Alternative in my mind for such a young and injury prone list is to get the spell after winning the first game.

I think we must beat Geelong if we are any chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to win, doing what gc suggests is not a good option for our team at this stage of development.
Always win in finals

Things have rolled our way and maybe that will continue long enough to snag a flag. Are we the best list? Lets make the irrelevent for the moment. Truth is the AFL finals series pays little heed to fairness. The fact that the top 4 teams start the finals with an equal chance of winning the flag is patently wrong in a comp that should reward finishing on top. Its been made worse since the finals week off came in which has taken away one of the advantages the QF winners had of a week off while others continued to play. Now the QF winner had a disadvantaged compared to their PF opponent going week off, week on week off while the other has the perfect prep of week off then 2 games leading into the PF. No coach would advocate 2 weeks off in 3 as a good prep for the PF.

Has this changed anything? Well in the 10 years prior to the chance 18 out out 20 (90%) of QF winners won their PF. Since the change 5 of 12 (41%) of QF winners have won their PF. Losing the QF wont help our chances of a good finals campaign but it might enhance the chance of actually winning the flag. My answer is yes

I believe we are riding a wave of momentum, belief in winning and the will to make the win happen to the deathknell, so as to the question, categorical NO.

Must continue to win at all costs mentality they have running, belief we can beat anyone anywhere.

Up to 63 now. GC will still think he’s correct though.
Ridiculous thread.

We need to win, doing what gc suggests is not a good option for our team at this stage of development.
Always win in finals
I am not suggesting doing it or that losing the QF is some sort of goal just that if it eventuates losing the QF has advantages that it didnt before 2016 and this year that may work for us.

My view here has nothing to do with Collingwood specifically, just how we may be influenced by a stupid rule the AFL bought in.

Obviously I do sit alone here but I always thought in theory the week off, on, off the QF winner has is one no coach would choose to haveIn some ways simiar to the extra week Essendon had in 1990 when we drew WCE. It slows teams momentum. Reckon the 5 out of 12 QF winners winning their PF supports the thought the finals bye works against the QF winner. If we end up in that spot it may be of help to us come PF day.

I am not suggesting doing it or that losing the QF is some sort of goal just that if it eventuates losing the QF has advantages that it didnt before 2016 and this year that may work for us.

My view here has nothing to do with Collingwood specifically, just how we may be influenced by a stupid rule the AFL bought in.

Obviously I do sit alone here but I always thought in theory the week off, on, off the QF winner has is one no coach would choose to haveIn some ways simiar to the extra week Essendon had in 1990 when we drew WCE. It slows teams momentum. Reckon the 5 out of 12 QF winners winning their PF supports the thought the finals bye works against the QF winner. If we end up in that spot it may be of help to us come PF day.
Losing a final is never an advantage.

Weird thread but I’ll say this.

At our best, we play high octane footy. This pre-finals bye will benefit us more than most others. If we can get another week off leading into the last two weeks that can’t be anything other than beneficial. This team is hardened, and on top of the ground every week, we are in a very good position no matter what route we take.

Minute I saw Ralph Fiennes, I thought of Voldemort. Random comment, no idea why I'm posting it.

If we are any chance to win the flag. Don't be fooled we need to win agianst Geelong and make it straight into A PRELIMINARY FIANL AND ANOTHER WEEK OFF.
if we lose to Geelong we may win 1 final and dip out simple as that.
Finals footy is hard tough boom crash BIG BOY FOOTY. We don't have the depth to cover major injuries if we loser someone like MOORE its over so we nneed to beat Geelong with no or minimal injuries freshen up and go hell for leather in a the prelim or we are OUT FOPR 2022 !!!!

Back