Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Get a grip buddy. Were all allowed our opinions. I would have preferred Greene get a massive fine and see him play in finals. A huge financial penalty is just as effective punishment, but we still would be able to see one of the best players in the league do their thing. I hardly think Stevic is seeing a psychologist because Green brushed his shoulder.
How do you figure a "huge financial penalty is just as efffective"?

He's on around $800 000 a year.
Fines don't work.

Missing games of footy is the only deterrent.

Yep, spot on. It's the package that is the player. It's frustrating but it's the same as a player not being able to kick or having no tank. You can't change who you are.

I think you're being a bit dramatic. Brushing shoulders is not an assault. Williams actually pushed the umpire to the ground where Toby pivoted with Stevic as they brushed. I think he gets weeks but my money is on 2.
No, making up lies to suit an argument is being dramatic.

Why does every single media comment have to be prefaced by "now we all love Toby Greene, we adore the way he plays, we're all desperate for him to be playing this week"?

Am I the only one who doesn't really give a toss if he plays or not?

Because aside from a few exceptions, they are all just group think parrots who can't think or analyse for themselves.

Perfect outcome for the media pile-on and"holier than thou" crowd on here.

All this needs now is for the cancel culture warriors to insist that Greene's name not be read out on Brownlow night, and we have the trifecta.

And all you who want to talk about respect for umpires, make yourself a pledge to not abuse one next time your teams gets its pants pulled down by a howler of a decision, that screaming from the crowd is a far bigger negative influence on underage and grass roots umpiring than any of this.
very very well said

everybody on this board has done much worse to umpires than what TG did, I have verbaled the to hell on many occasion!!

All this needs now is for the cancel culture warriors to insist that Greene's name not be read out on Brownlow night, and we have the trifecta.

And all you who want to talk about respect for umpires, make yourself a pledge to not abuse one next time your teams gets its pants pulled down by a howler of a decision, that screaming from the crowd is a far bigger negative influence on underage and grass roots umpiring than any of this.

Yeah, I'll call bullshit on this angle.

Green physically intimidated an umpire. Next time someone in the crowd jumps the fence and makes contact with an umpire I guarantee that they do jail time.

You do not touch the umpire. Most of us learned that when we were 4.

tings 1 week H & A
Get a grip buddy. Were all allowed our opinions. I would have preferred Greene get a massive fine and see him play in finals. A huge financial penalty is just as effective punishment, but we still would be able to see one of the best players in the league do their thing. I hardly think Stevic is seeing a psychologist because Green brushed his shoulder.

Fines are not as effective.

How good a player is should have no bearing on if they are suspended or not. Players should be treated equally.

The Effect on Stevic is not the question at all, it's matter of prinicple. The effect on junoir umpiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very very well said

everybody on this board has done much worse to umpires than what TG did, I have verbaled the to hell on many occasion!!

Yeah, yelling at an umpire from over the fence is much worse than a player physically intimidating them.

"In a surprise move, Greene's lawyer Ben Ihle QC invited the jury to impose a "severe financial penalty" amounting to "four or five times" the maximum $5,000, rather than suspend the player."

"Wealthy person tries to buy their way out of real consequences by spending an insignificant (for them) amount of money"

All well and good, but players learn early on that you don't abuse umpires.

First cab off the rank is a 50, next up the line is 10-15 minutes in the naughty bin, next is a report and/or send off (depending on the rules of the comp of course).

And you never, ever, make deliberate contact with an umpire.

So from a playing perspective, Greene deserves all the criticism coming his way, because he knows all that.

I still can't believe his utter stupidity. And 3 weeks is a gift.

I'm amused that 'cancel culture' is spoken about just about anything these days.

Needs more woke and snowflake...

I'm amused that 'cancel culture' is spoken about just about anything these days.

Needs more woke and snowflake...
There are people who can’t get up in the morning without the incentive of a fictitious boogie man to fight back against. “Cancel culture” is just the latest iteration.

We are told and drilled into us since little league to respect the umps and to not lay a finger on them. Consider three weeks with a NOT GUILTY plea getting off lightly. Not only a habitual line stepper with the amount of times he finds himself at the tribunal, but also a very brainless individual with the situations he finds himself in.

Nothing strange about it.
He was pissed off about a free kick and was giving the ump a serve and walked through him.

Stevic has already said "It wasn't a good look for the game and was disrespectful".
Noone thinks this is a great look for the game, I don't think that is being debated.

Stevic thought it was not reportable, and I see no evidence that he has changed his mind?

I know very well I'm not arguing the moral viewpoint here, but for me the AFL clearly doesn't operate that way, it does what is expedient to its purposes and intended outcomes. On that basis I would have thought Greene plays, he is the first player every neutral wants to see playing on Friday.

Back