Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane would have to sit him down and ask him what his plans are. Does he really want to stay or is he just stalling on a new deal and doesn't actually plan on sticking around beyond 2017?

Given that they are at the bottom of the ladder and a reputation of not being able to retain players, Brisbane are in the position of having to pay "overs" to retain players. Player managers know this.

If he is in fact asking for $4 million over 5 years, that sounds like a bullshit ambit claim designed to prevent a new deal getting done.

Or commensurate with what vice-captain Rich received, which was a 5 year deal worth 3 million.

If that's the case, surely Brisbane should entertain a reasonable trade this year, rather than lose him as a free agent at the end of 2017.

Possibly. If a club wants to put a 5 year $4 million deal to Rockliff at the end of next year, then good luck to them. Brisbane can elect to match that or let him go into the draft.

It is going to get very complicated in the next 12 months but let me break this down.

For top level compensation he needs to be in the top 15% of players above 25. Currently that is about $750,000+

The complication is that with a new player agreement coming in, potentially a higher salary cap, there will be contracts signed the end of this season based off a new salary cap. If the cap doubles then we can assume the top 15% of the players over 25 would be higher too, so this season could be very good for free agent compensation as most players would be signed under the old cap - every year more contracts move over to the new salary cap and the advantage is reduced.

So $800,000 might not be enough for band 1 compensation next year, but an otherwise average player could get paid $800,000 average over 4 years this offseason and get band 1, as their contract will be off the new salary cap and the club can afford more with the highest ratio of old contracts to new on the AFL books.

**numbers are examples and based off a rough guestimate example of a doubled salary cap
Doesn't the current free agency arrangement also expire at the end of this season?

Or commensurate with what vice-captain Rich received, which was a 5 year deal worth 3 million.
That doesn't sound commensurate.

How old was Rich when he signed that deal?

Possibly. If a club wants to put a 5 year $4 million deal to Rockliff at the end of next year, then good luck to them. Brisbane can elect to match that or let him go into the draft.
It might not be about the money alone.

Rockliff's been one to speal up strongly about kids leaving the club so this will be interesting.

Isnt worth what hes asking. However him and his player manager would know how much free space in the cap Brisbane have and also that they sort of have to pay overs for certain players to remain as mentioned.

3 months ago, so 25. Rockliff and Rich are from the same draft year.
So Rockliff asking for $4 million over 5 years is commensurate with Rich getting $3 million over 5 years?

Also, Rockliff would be 28 by the time this new five-year deal kicks in at the start of 2018, versus Ruch being 26 at the start of 2017. So if we use Rich's deal as the benchmark, Brisbane would be paying significantly more for an older player if they agree to Rockliff's demand. Do Brisbane want to be paying Rockliff 800k a year at age 30 and 31 and 32?

Seems like big overs.

I realise it was a different poster who suggested Rockliff and Rich signed commensurate deals.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound commensurate.

Well it does given their respective achievements and standing within the Lions. That's how Rockliff views it.

Rich - 5 years, $3 million - (Lions vice captain. Never won a Best and Fairest.)
Rockliff - 5 years, $4 million (Lions captain 2015-2016. Twice Lions Best and Fairest winner.)

How old was Rich when he signed that deal?

Rich is four months younger than Rockliff.

Last edited:
Rich - 5 years, $3 million -
Rockliff - 5 years, $4 million (Rockliff is the Brisbane Lions captain, has been since the start of 2015. Twice Lions Best and Fairest winner.

Rich is four months younger than Rockliff.
Sure, but Rockliff will be 28 when his new deal starts (2018), versus Rich being 26 when his new deal starts (2017).

It means that, at the back end of those deals, Brisbane will be paying Rich aged 30/31 600k a year, versus paying Rockliff 800k a year aged 30, 31 and 32.

They'll effectively be signing an 'older player' on 200k extra a year.

Maybe Brisbane are willing to do that. But to me that seems like big overs, even if we use Rich's deal as a point of comparison.

So Rockliff is basically after a Dangerfield Contract? As far as I knew Danger went to Geelong for 800k a year for 4 maybe 5 years. If that is the case than Rockliff is NOWHERE near Dangerfield. 650k tops is his max value. No-one will pay him 800k over 4, no chance at all.

So Rockliff asking for $4 million over 5 years is commensurate with Rich getting $3 million over 5 years?

Also, Rockliff would be 28 by the time this new five-year deal kicks in at the start of 2018, versus Ruch being 26 at the start of 2017. So if we use Rich's deal as the benchmark, Brisbane would be paying significantly more for an older player if they agree to Rockliff's demand. Do Brisbane want to be paying Rockliff 800k a year at age 30 and 31 and 32?

Seems like big overs.

I realise it was a different poster who suggested Rockliff and Rich signed commensurate deals.
30- yes 31- maybe 32- no. Put him on a declining contract problem solved.

800k is his peak would be lucky to get it but clubs who wont him can work with that number, why are many posters going OTT.

Brisbane max offer should be:
950+875+800+725+650.
Brisbane have vets list for last 3 years also.
950+800+(875-100)+(725-100)+(650-100)
last year of his contact performance based.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

30- yes 31- maybe 32- no. Put him on a declining contract problem solved.

800k is his peak would be lucky to get it but clubs who wont him can work with that number, why are many posters going OTT.

Brisbane max offer should be:
950+875+800+725+650.
Brisbane have vets list for last 3 years also.
950+800+(875-100)+(725-100)+(650-100)
Max last year of his contact performance based.
Salary cap aside, that still seems like big overs. It's still the same salary, just front-loaded.

Is Rockliff a genuinely elite midfielder? Because he wants to get paid like one.

The other explanation is that he wants out so is stalling on a new deal.

Salary cap aside, that still seems like big overs.

Is Rockliff a genuinely elite midfielder? Because he wants to get paid like one.

The other explanation is that he wants out so is stalling on a new deal.
Brisbane should be able to afford that, who else is demanding big coin.
He is at the age players cash in, all clubs pay big for 26-30 years old.
I don't rate him as a superstar always scoff at my mates when they bring him up there with the top dozen. But Rockliff will still be playing good footy at 31 and 625 isn't overs.
Pay overs early to price out FA. That's the new world we live in.

Brisbane should be able to afford that, who else is demanding big coin.
Not sure that makes it a sensible move.

They could use that money to land a high-value free agent at some point in the next five years instead of paying Rockliff overs.

He is at the age players cash in, all clubs pay big for 26-30 years old.
I don't know if there are many guys at Rockliff's level getting 800k a year.

I don't rate him as a superstar always scoff at my mates when they bring him up there with the top dozen. But Rockliff will still be playing good footy at 31 and 625 isn't overs.
Pay overs early to price out FA. That's the new world we live in.
It's still 800k a year on average. Given he'd be 32 in the last year of that deal, that seems like overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure that makes it a sensible move.

They could use that money to land a high-value free agent at some point in the next five years instead of paying Rockliff overs.

I don't know if there are many guys at Rockliff's level getting 800k a year.

It's still 800k a year on average. Given he'd be 32 in the last year of that deal, that seems like overs.
It's his FA year when they pay overs.
So if a club comes nocking as a restricted FA they have the space to match if they plan to keep.
I don't expect Brisbane to be out of the bottom 4 next year so if he gets picked up by FA the club will have to pay around 950 for that 1st year. Enter top 4 pick.
I think the pros out way the cons. Let's agree to disagree.

Assuming the money is Rockliff's only concern.
Now you're getting your point across.
Yes exactly this is assuming money is his only concern.

I have nothing to add there, so I'll just leave the speculating to the rest of you.

Or Brisbane could be persuaded to do a deal this year, 12 months before his contract expires.

Do you take a first-rounder (let's say) in 2016 or chance your arm with free agency compensation in 2017?
Could do a Melbourne where they got pick 3 for Frawley, call it compensation when everyone knows it was a disguised priority pick. That would mean we will have to be bad again next year, which i think we are pretty good at doing.

Hawthorn would be dumb not to pursue if they want to keep going again and again for flags, unless they finally decide to do a mini rebuild whilst keeping a top side, as their youth stocks are underwhelming. Maybe they'd prefer to pursue B Crouch or Jaegs

I reckon the Lions would get a better pick through free agency next year than they would if they traded him this year, plus they would get an extra year of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back