Opinion Top 10 favourite Geelong players of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a good question. I felt the 89 finals was like a glimpse of what he was capable of. He had another game kicking 14 that year but otherwise didn’t have many brilliant games. Before 1989 he was largely inconsistent and raw. A bit like a much better version of Jake Stringer. Then 1990 was a very good year by anyone else’s standards. Then the “retirement” in 1991. Then he came back and built a massive body of work from 1992 through 1994 where he was still taking huge marks, including his most famous and several other great ones and he was literally unstoppable. In 1989, apart from that finals series which was an incredible purple patch, he has quiet games. During 1992-1994 he very rarely played a bad game and they were nearly all brilliant. In 1995 I reckon he started to lose his leap and it was mostly more raw power and strength but he still kicked 120 goals. From there it was downhill.

So if I charted it all I’d say the peak in terms of building form to a very high level and sustaining it was 1993.

Been a while since I'd read that argument. To me that is now and has always been a gross exaggeration.

I would completely agree that once Blight arrived at the start of 1989 he become more consistent. But the notion (which particularly idiotic Hawthorn fans used to spout) that he was inconsistent doesn't match the output. Even before 1989, this was his output:
  • 1984 - His first season. Won the Best and Fairest despite playing only 15 games, mostly on the wing. Kicked 33 goals.
  • 1985 - A great year. Kicked 82 goals from the half forward flank, and polled 15 Brownlow votes. Definitely could be wayward with goalkicking at times - had returns of 3.7, 4.7, 6.8, and 5.8 - but still had a fantastic season. Kicked 5 goals or more in a game 10 times.
  • 1986 - Interrupted by injury (he missed the first four games), but still kicked 65 goals in 15 games. 5 goals or more 8 times.
  • 1987 - Probably his quietest year. 17 games for 53 goals. Tellingly, 5 goals or more only 4 times.
  • 1988 - Another great season. 82 goals in 21 games, including 11 against Brisbane and 10 against Richmond.
Overall, to that point he'd kicked 324 goals from 94 games. For sure there were a handful of games each year where you wouldn't see him, and to me the difference pre and post-Blight was those games went from a few every year to hardly any. But he was still an absolute superstar and (to me anyway) by far our best player.

Been a while since I'd read that argument. To me that is now and has always been a gross exaggeration.

I would completely agree that once Blight arrived at the start of 1989 he become more consistent. But the notion (which particularly idiotic Hawthorn fans used to spout) that he was inconsistent doesn't match the output. Even before 1989, this was his output:
  • 1984 - His first season. Won the Best and Fairest despite playing only 15 games, mostly on the wing. Kicked 33 goals.
  • 1985 - A great year. Kicked 82 goals from the half forward flank, and polled 15 Brownlow votes. Definitely could be wayward with goalkicking at times - had returns of 3.7, 4.7, 6.8, and 5.8 - but still had a fantastic season. Kicked 5 goals or more in a game 10 times.
  • 1986 - Interrupted by injury (he missed the first four games), but still kicked 65 goals in 15 games. 5 goals or more 8 times.
  • 1987 - Probably his quietest year. 17 games for 53 goals. Tellingly, 5 goals or more only 4 times.
  • 1988 - Another great season. 82 goals in 21 games, including 11 against Brisbane and 10 against Richmond.
Overall, to that point he'd kicked 324 goals from 94 games. For sure there were a handful of games each year where you wouldn't see him, and to me the difference pre and post-Blight was those games went from a few every year to hardly any. But he was still an absolute superstar and (to me anyway) by far our best player.
First game I ever saw Senior play, after having lived in NZ several years, was against Hawthorn in 1985. My brother took us to the game and warned us to watch this new player Ablett.
Immediately, incredible vertical leap, and spectacular feats all day. 6 goals, and to top it off, Jacko at FF also kicked 6. My wife became a Cats supporter that day after being an All Black fan, and never having seen an AFL game. Driving home that day, from Waverley Park, the radio discussion was about how valuable this guy Ablett was, and iirc, Rhys- Jones was also at his peak, and they were the 2 that were being discussed after rd 1 as MVP's.

1. Polly Farmer
2. Ablett snr
3. Denis Marshall
4. Buddha
5. Ablett jnr
6. Stevie J
7. Doug Wade
8. J. Selwood
9. Bill Goggin
10. M. Scarlett

HM Milburn B.Ryan I. Nankervis, Chapman, Enright, Corey, Sharrock, Newlands, Scratcher, Clarke snr Couch Turner

Could haves
Stoneham Menzel Lynch Egan Donohue

mi

Last edited:

Good thread! I’m really struggling to connect with this current team & coaching staff, perhaps footy in general this year, so this is a nice one to reminisce.

Favourites (not necessarily best)

1. Gary Snr
2. Joel Selwood
3. Michael Turner
4. Andrew Bews
5. Corey Enright
6. Jimmy Bartel
7. James Kelly
8. Gary Jnr
9. Garry Hocking
10. Paul Chapman

Apologies to many. I’d tip Ablett jnr out for leaving but that would be being petty. He provided a lot of joy pretty much from the outset, and the 2002 reserves flag felt like a change was gonna come, finally.

Last edited:
You're missing Austin mccrabbe

The Glenn Kilpatrick call has prompted me to name my 10 favourite misfits:

1. Kent Kingsley
2. David Mensch
3. Brett Spinks
4. Rhys Stanley
5. Andrew Wills
6. Adam Houlihan
7. Mitchell White
8. Jason Mooney
9. Martin McKinnon
10. Grant Tanner

Genuinely had a soft spot for all of them, for all their many flaws.

Yep there was nothing more magical or spine tingling than watching Gaz senior, you have put it to perfection, as well as the lull after he retired and then the excitement when Gaz junior came in 02. Imagine someone kicking 8 off hhf in a state game after you 8th game of the season now.

Enter blighty in 89, starts Gaz at half back, he wins the bog in the night grand final in a losing side, or when he tore a dipper a new one in a half on a wing maybe round 7 (do yourself a favour and check the game on YouTube) then his 89 series, no has delivered that level of footy in a finals series before or after, his prelim has to be the best game anyone has ever played.

Than in 93, he kicks 14 7 against the premiers, also that year blighty thru him into the centre against the Eagles, in his 150th and kicks 5 to win over there, which was very tough to do.
My top 10
1 senior
2 jnr
3 Stevie J
4 chappy
5 Selwood - we forget how great he was 07-13
6 scarlo
7 Otto big game player
8 Bos
9 Bartel
10 buddha

Honorable mentions
Linder, Flanagan (89 gf), Enright, Hinkley, the rat, Robbie Scott, Riccardi, Stoneham (pre broken leg) , Rooke, mansfield, Kelly and Harry

I saw Senior in the 80s and 90s on a regular basis. Whilst he was no doubt exceptional and brilliant pre-93 (see his 84 season, his high marking essentially from Day 1, 89 finals series and regular SOO romps) he took this to another level in ‘one special season’.

As we know, Snr kicked 124.60 that year from 17 games. That’s 11 scoring shots per game. After 11 games (or half a season of football that year), he had kicked 88.39. I’m not sure if anyone has played at a level that high ever. You could make the case that his return in his final 6 games of 93 was only modest (36.21). Just a lazy 9 scoring shots per game.

This was of course the first season he was shifted to FF on a permanent basis. Keep in mind he started on a wing with Geelong in 84, winning his only B&f with the club that year (staggering really now when you consider someone like Blicavs is a two-time winner). He probably moved more to a permanent HFF from 86-92 and of course took some time to find fitness after coming back half way thru 91 from retirement. There were doubts at the time whether he would recapture his brilliance and power but as 93 would show, there would be plenty left in the tank.

I distinctly remember sitting at Waverley in 93 vs. Collingwood after he had just kicked 5 on Pert in the first quarter. I remember thinking that I couldn’t imagine being so captivated by a player ever again. I also remember thinking that this would end one day. I still feel that wave of sadness. And I’ve been saddened to see some of his struggles off field in retirement.

That being said, I can’t tell you how fortunate I have felt to witness Gary Junior. It’s still remarkable to think that a father and son who share the same name are in the conversation for the best ever. And on paper, his record rivals or even surpasses his old man. But for sheer brilliance, even he was not even close.

Snr dragged people from all club supporter bases thru the gates for Geelong games. When the ball was in the vicinity, the crowd held their collective breath. I’ve never experienced that sense of anticipation with any player since.
He mightn’t have been as consistent as Carey or Matthews, but his brilliance will never be rivalled. Ever.

I’m just grateful that I’ve lived in a period where Senior and junior have had unbelievable careers and that has left an indelible mark on me. I feel immensely privileged and grateful that I’ve supported this club and seen these players up close for so long. And the picture of Junior, Senior and Nathan after the 07 GF in the rooms, still brings a tear to the eye.

Finally, in some ways I do relate with another poster who said that whilst the premierships were indescribable, seeing Senior ply his craft might have even trumped that. He was that good. Mind you that’s probably easier to say now with 07,09 and 11 in the bank!

#1 Senior

Yep there was nothing more magical or spine tingling than watching Gaz senior, you have put it to perfection, as well as the lull after he retired and then the excitement when Gaz junior came in 02. Imagine someone kicking 8 off hhf in a state game after you 8th game of the season now.

Enter blighty in 89, starts Gaz at half back, he wins the bog in the night grand final in a losing side, or when he tore a dipper a new one in a half on a wing maybe round 7 (do yourself a favour and check the game on YouTube) then his 89 series, no has delivered that level of footy in a finals series before or after, his prelim has to be the best game anyone has ever played.

Than in 93, he kicks 14 7 against the premiers, also that year blighty thru him into the centre against the Eagles, in his 150th and kicks 5 to win over there, which was very tough to do.
My top 10
1 senior
2 jnr
3 Stevie J
4 chappy
6 scarlo
7 Otto big game player
8 Bos
9 Bartel
10 buddha

Honorable mentions
Linder, Flanagan (89 gf), Enright, Hinkley, the rat, Robbie Scott, Riccardi, Stoneham (pre broken leg) , Rooke, mansfield, Kelly and Harry

I only saw the vision for the 1st time - either last year - or the xmas break this year - but someone on the main board ( not a Geel supporter ) put up the 2nd half - of that preseason night comp - it was around 85-87 at a guess - it was night match between Geel and Carl

And it was vintage Ablett - he was playing FF - kicked about 6 or 7 - and in the 3rd qtr he has absolutely poleaxed some Carlton bloke - who didnt move - just carted off on a stretcher . And it was classic Ablett - re the incident - he went into a big [pack at top speed - and you couldnt really pin it on him what he did - but the carnage was their

It was great vision - well worth a look

Raises an interesting question: when was peak Selwood? :think:

2008-11 during the premiership era when he was at his most prolific as a ball winner?
2013-14 when he was hitting the scoreboard all the time (54 goals in 2 seasons)?
2016-17 during peak Dangerwood when him and Danger were the best midfield duo in the comp by a mile?

I'm inclined to say 13-14 was his best but it's a tough call.

I only saw the vision for the 1st time - either last year - or the xmas break this year - but someone on the main board ( not a Geel supporter ) put up the 2nd half - of that preseason night comp - it was around 85-87 at a guess - it was night match between Geel and Carl

And it was vintage Ablett - he was playing FF - kicked about 6 or 7 - and in the 3rd qtr he has absolutely poleaxed some Carlton bloke - who didnt move - just carted off on a stretcher . And it was classic Ablett - re the incident - he went into a big [pack at top speed - and you couldnt really pin it on him what he did - but the carnage was their

It was great vision - well worth a look
Sounds like a combination of 2 games.
There was a night game v Carlton, maybe 87, where he kicked maybe 6 goals in the third quarter. Next day in the Addy, there was a great Article and picture with Ablett walking, saying "This man truly walks on water."He was walking across a road in pouring rain, a great caption, would love to see that article again.
Then there was a game v Carlton at Geelong, 1989, and I went to both these games, and he completely ran through the Dominator, Wayne Johnston, a gun in his own right, and put him in hospital.Broken ribs plus more.
If it was all the one game, even more impressive, but knowing Gaz, he could do these things every week.
'

Last edited:
Sounds like a combination of 2 games.
There was a night game v Carlton, maybe 86, where he kicked maybe 6 goals in the last quarter in pouring rain. Next day in the Addy, there was a great Article and picture with Ablett walking, saying "This man truly walks on water."
Then there was a game v Carlton at Geelong, and I went to both these games, and he completely ran through the Dominator, Wayne Johnston, a gun in his own right, and put him in hospital.
If it was al; the one game, even more impressive, but knowing Gaz, he could do these things every week.
'
This is the preseason game, 1987.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raises an interesting question: when was peak Selwood? :think:

2008-11 during the premiership era when he was at his most prolific as a ball winner?
2013-14 when he was hitting the scoreboard all the time (54 goals in 2 seasons)?
2016-17 during peak Dangerwood when him and Danger were the best midfield duo in the comp by a mile?

I'm inclined to say 13-14 was his best but it's a tough call.
His most prolific year as a ball winner was 2016. Not 2008-11.

I think his best year was 2013. Became a legitimate goalkicking threat as well. Would have rightly won the Brownlow if not for a guy called Ablett.
Reveals how great GAJ was, playing in that team with 2-3 wins only and still getting a Brownlow. A great result would have been a tie. Selwood was super that year too.

And Ablett was skating away with the Brownlow in 2014 before his shoulder injury as well.
He was arguably robbed in 2008 too. Easily the best that year judging by the awards (AFLCA; AFLPA; and most if not all media awards) yet the umpires saw it differently!

GAJ could have retired with 4 - 5 Brownlows (I include 2007).

He was arguably robbed in 2008 too. Easily the best that year judging by the awards (AFLCA; AFLPA; and most if not all media awards) yet the umpires saw it differently!

GAJ could have retired with 4 - 5 Brownlows (I include 2007).
Agreed.

I think his best year was 2013. Became a legitimate goalkicking threat as well. Would have rightly won the Brownlow if not for a guy called Ablett.

13/14 for me also.
Absolute peak of his kicking too, as damaging by foot as any of the league best mids.

First half of 2017 is a smokey pick for me too. Just lifted every time the game was in the balance.

13/14 for me also.
Absolute peak of his kicking too, as damaging by foot as any of the league best mids.

First half of 2017 is a smokey pick for me too. Just lifted every time the game was in the balance.
I think Joel has been a seriously underrated kick. Doesn’t have too much of a left side, but he has such courage that he straightens & balances himself up under the heaviest of traffic and usually delivers to his teammate. Doesn’t try to kick around corners too often, just puts his body where it needs to be even if it means copping a hit to deliver the ball. I’ve not seen anyone at Geelong or anywhere else quite like him in that regard. Buddha had supreme skills both sides and was extraordinarily tough, but unfortunately couldn’t quite channel his competitiveness/white line fever in the biggest games. Stevie J would have a great goal assist/foot passing highlights reel but I always considered him a bit sloppy (lots of shanked unnecessary left footers, biting off more than he could chew) particularly when he pushed into the midfield more.

Had a few lockdown drinks this evening so the simile is probably a bit over the top, but Selwood is like the great white shark, pure minimalism, and perfectly designed for what he does. See ball, get ball, put teammate in a better position. No unnecessary bullshit. That’s why he’s my number 2 favourite. In what has been a bit of a frustrating era since our last flag I still love watching him around the ball.

Gary Snr is on top, just an absolute wrecking ball powerhouse at his best, where the speed, strength & skill combo was in perfect balance. The anticipation at the ground when the ball was starting to head in his vicinity was something I doubt I’ll experience again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back