NFL Top 10 Offensive Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Pete Prisco on Sportsline.com has done his Top 10 players at every Offensive position, just wondering what peoples thoughts were on it, and who is in everyone else's Top 10.

Prisco's Top 10 Qbs

1. Peyton Manning, Colts
2. Tom Brady, Patriots
3. Daunte Culpepper, Vikings
4. Donovan McNabb, Eagles
5. Michael Vick, Falcons
6. Brett Favre, Packers
7. Steve McNair, Titans
8. Trent Green, Chiefs
9. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks
10. Chad Pennington, Jets

Wouldn't disagree too much, though I don't think McNair is in the Top 10 anymore, and Vick is far too high.

Top 4 is about right, maybe put McNabb ahead of Culpepper, but it's arguable.

Green is underrated, has great seasons with average WRs (but great TE). I'd slot him in at 5th.

Keep Favre at 6, Hasselbeck at 7, Vick at 8, Pennington at 9 if he gets back to playing the way he's capable of... and one of Jake Delhomme (underrated), Kerry Collins (Moss will make him so much better), Bulger and Carson Palmer if he progresses as expected.

Re: Top 10...

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Michael Vick
5. Daunte Culpepper
6. Brett Favre
7. Marc Bulger !!!
8. Matt Hasselbeck
9. Jake Delholmme
10. Trent Green

Chad Pennington, Matt Hasselbeck, David Carr....

Lenny Briscoe said:
1. peyton manning
2. tom brady
3. donovan mcnabb
4. daunte culpepper
5. brett favre
6. trent green
7. jake delhomme
8. marcbulger
9 matt hasselback
10. chad pennington

No Michael Vick? Their is no way that anyone who knows anything about the NFL would take Trent Green, Delhomme, Bulger, Hasselback or Pennington before Vick as their QB.

Many people may argue his passing production isnt up to scratch but that is a bit narrow minded, the position isnt confined to that. i.e. Brett Favre isnt the passer he used to be but he is still highly rated for his leadership and intangibles.

im doing it as of now, not potentially who will be the better qb, vick was unlucky to miss the top 10, but really he's only proved he can be a runner. im not saying he won't be a great passer but at tghe moment he is not complete enough to be considered one of the best, like culpepper and mcnabb were early in their career.

btw... im sure a number of people would take trent green over vick no worries cosidering he's avrgaed over 4000 yrds and 26 td passes the last 3 years, vick would've struggled to get that in 3 years combined

I'm surprised some of the QB's mentioned are rated so high by some (including Prisco).

If I was rating QB's on pure athletic perfromance (and not leadership), I'd have Aaron Brooks in the top 10. Given decent protection he is one of the best passers in the game. His ability to lead though would rate him in the bottom 10.

Manning is clearly the best on both counts then daylight.

FWIW, I'd rate the top 10 QB's (as at the end 0f 2004):

1. Manning (outstanding)
2. Mc Nabb (still very, very good)
3. Brees (can't believe he hasn't been rated after last year)
4. Brady (if it wasn't for his leadership he wouldn't make the top 10)
5. Roethlisberger (again, can't believe he's not rated - an outstanding classical QB)
6. Culpepper (his self-inflated ego will keep him out of the best 5)
7. Vick (don't rate him as a passer, but he's a weapon and good leader)
8. Pennington (fading but a still solid)
9. Green (will take the next step this year)
10. Carr (as for Green, about to step into the top tier)

Favre : losses too many games trying to be what he once was.
McNair : could get back but you've got to think he's past it.
Delhomme : over-rated
Plummer : ego stops him being better
Palmer : not convinced
Bulger : great arm but fragile
Hasselbeck : nowhere near top 10
Brooks : would be top 5 if he had a brain
Bledsoe : um . . no

Don't really rate any of the others.

No way! haha. Oh my god. I dont care if he runs it... passes it... or warps it... he is a play-maker and a game winner.... aka 2 deep playoff runs in the 2 seasons he has been healthy. and although success in the playoffs isnt the be all and end all in ranking QB's(P.Manning)... this guy has proven plenty! your kidding yourself if you think a majority would take trent green before him, green manages a game well... Vick wins them.

Lenny Briscoe said:
im doing it as of now, not potentially who will be the better qb, vick was unlucky to miss the top 10, but really he's only proved he can be a runner. im not saying he won't be a great passer but at tghe moment he is not complete enough to be considered one of the best, like culpepper and mcnabb were early in their career.

btw... im sure a number of people would take trent green over vick no worries cosidering he's avrgaed over 4000 yrds and 26 td passes the last 3 years, vick would've struggled to get that in 3 years combined

JeffDunne said:
3. Brees (can't believe he hasn't been rated after last year)
5. Roethlisberger (again, can't believe he's not rated - an outstanding classical QB)

Don't rate Brees yet, cos there's been no consistency in his game, and he's really only had one good year*.

As for Roethlisberger, I think the Steelers D won them a lot of games, and he was nothing more than solid all season. He'll be rated once he starts winning games off if his own arm methinks.

*I know I've rated Walker and Johnson highly after one year, but you can see the gradual improvement in their play year to year, so it really was no surprise that they had great years last year. Brees was definitely a surprise.

fuey said:
Don't rate Brees yet, cos there's been no consistency in his game, and he's really only had one good year*.

As for Roethlisberger, I think the Steelers D won them a lot of games, and he was nothing more than solid all season. He'll be rated once he starts winning games off if his own arm methinks.

*I know I've rated Walker and Johnson highly after one year, but you can see the gradual improvement in their play year to year, so it really was no surprise that they had great years last year. Brees was definitely a surprise.
Brees deserves to be rated after last season. I'm not saying that it won't prove to be his one and only standout season (although I doubt it), but if you are ranking QB's on their performance last season, Brees was one of the best. Not only did he throw well, but he led the team well. Will be interesting if the pressure of having a highly rated replacement on the sidelines continues to push him. His 2004 was outstanding.

Big Ben is the real deal. It wouldn't surprise to see his development plateau this season, but he'll be one of the best for sometime yet. Again I have ranked based on last season, and the offensive rookie of the year was fantastic. The Bus and a solid defense were no doubt a large part of the Steelers game, but Ben showed maturity that was freakish in a rookie.

fuey said:

Totally agree Fuey.

Its unclear what those rankings are of... could be a number of different things. Performance, Potential, Consistency over a number of years... dont know.

But these guys shouldnt be ranked highly on anything other than last years 'results'... not to say that Brees and Big Ben we're the key ingredient to the teams success... that could also be debated.

Javon walker didnt have gradual improvement. He disappointed for two seasons and last year just got loads of supply because the packers were so depleated at WR for the majority of the season.

Andre Johnson is for real.

JeffDunne said:
Big Ben is the real deal. It wouldn't surprise to see his development plateau this season, but he'll be one of the best for sometime yet. Again I have ranked based on last season, and the offensive rookie of the year was fantastic. The Bus and a solid defense were no doubt a large part of the Steelers game, but Ben showed maturity that was freakish in a rookie.

I just read and smile. Well said JD. :)

A healthy O-Line is the key for BIG BEN. Not much credit given for BIG BEN running out of the pocket and gaining alot of good yardage. He reads the situation well. I'd rather a smart QB like BIG BEN over Vick who is top shelf still but does too much without thinking.

I find it hard to seperate from 2 down but here goes.

1.Manning
2.Vick
3.Mcnabb
4.Favre
5.Brady
6.Cullpepper
7.Mcnair
8.Pennington
9.Roethlisberger
10.Plummer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

everyone is interpreting these ratings differently, but the way i look at it is that if all players were in the draft at the moment and i had to choose my qb to lead my team for this season and the next few. therefore i would be hesistant to pick drew brees or roesthlisberger just because consistency is a big issue for me. that's why i rate trent green highly. i never used to but he has proved me wrong for the last 3 years. im not saying brees or ben WON'T repeat heir perfomance and if they do i'll be happy to include them in my top 10's, but i'm not convinced they will. anyone remember rick mirer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back