List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be giving Liam kolar and Jackson callow a go aswell. Let them compete for the gig
I always wonder why clubs dont invite more than one player to train with them. Richmond have four!

(I appreciate however you only want to look at genuine opportunities)

Story.....I recall in the 2005 draft, Collingwood invited two players to join them for training, with the promise to list one of them in the Pre Season Draft. It was basically a head to head competition.

The winner was Sam Iles.

Luckily for the loser, he was still available in the Rookie Draft and we took him as well... and Alan Toovey ended up being a premiership player. Toovs made it onto the list the hard way!!! Pies were lucky that their drafting mistake didnt cost them.

IMO, CFC's rejuvenation of the list is on point....The next stage is coaching. Can bucks regain the attacking flare of 2018.

An excuse to have another Jack on the list.

Jack Crisp
Jack Madgen
Jack Ginnevan
Jack Briskey..
Woulda be happy to try our hand in adding Jack Callow to this list- even if he turns out a bust

Kind of irrelevant to the point he was responding to.

No it’s not.

Maybe the club sees Callow as one positional, unlike Roughy who was proven in a number of positions before he came to Collingwood. It was only after he arrived that they decided to play him in defence. When he’s gone they might aim for somebody more mobile and also capable of being versatile.

No it’s not.

Maybe the club sees Callow as one positional, unlike Roughy who was proven in a number of positions before he came to Collingwood.
It was actually about a different player than Callow - the new kid who is training with us. But I agree with your point, as a club we do talk a lot about positional flexibility and seem to really rate it. It's odd, because we barely ever use it and when we do it's rarely effective. Unless you're going to play your CHB up forward for more than 15 minutes a season, why does it matter that he also has the potential to be a good forward? In terms of recruiting, I suppose it just means that a fringe player has a bit more chance of becoming a senior player as they can be groomed for the role we need, but I do think we make a bigger deal of it than is necessary.

It was actually about a different player than Callow - the new kid who is training with us. But I agree with your point, as a club we do talk a lot about positional flexibility and seem to really rate it. It's odd, because we barely ever use it and when we do it's rarely effective. Unless you're going to play your CHB up forward for more than 15 minutes a season, why does it matter that he also has the potential to be a good forward? In terms of recruiting, I suppose it just means that a fringe player has a bit more chance of becoming a senior player as they can be groomed for the role we need, but I do think we make a bigger deal of it than is necessary.

Lost track of the thread ( thought we were talking about Kolar and Callow) but it doesn’t change my point. I don’t know anything about this kid except he apparently can jump. That automatically says to me there might be more to him than lock down defender status!

I also agree we don’t utilise versatility enough despite concentrating heavily on that attribute when recruiting. But maybe that goes back to the coaches who lack imagination.

No it’s not.

Maybe the club sees Callow as one positional, unlike Roughy who was proven in a number of positions before he came to Collingwood. It was only after he arrived that they decided to play him in defence. When he’s gone they might aim for somebody more mobile and also capable of being versatile.
The comment was in response to the notion we couldn’t fit in a lockdown key defender in our system. None of what you said had anything to do with that really.

An excuse to have another Jack on the list.

Jack Crisp
Jack Madgen
Jack Ginnevan
Jack Briskey..
Jack Briskey..not on the list Yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can kind of get the head-scratching over Callow not being drafted but given he hasn't been asked to train ANYWHERE over the summer perhaps it's saying something? Recruiters at every club can't all be idiots, clearly they've all seen something that we the people haven't that turns them off.

Lists Might get Larger but Yeah there is Something they don't rate about him.

Though look what Happened to Brody Miocheck

I can kind of get the head-scratching over Callow not being drafted but given he hasn't been asked to train ANYWHERE over the summer perhaps it's saying something? Recruiters at every club can't all be idiots, clearly they've all seen something that we the people haven't that turns them off.
Dunno about that. They all passed over Jake Riccardi several times over the course of 3 drafts, so.....

Lists Might get Larger but Yeah there is Something they don't rate about him.

Though look what Happened to Brody Miocheck
He obviously had a bit to work on and develop consistency. He wasn't picked until he was 25. Maybe Clubs have provided Callow with feedback on what they believe he needs to work on. It would also help if he was to play in a stronger competition

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get the feeling Roughhead will struggle next year, need a Keane type to step up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. I think Keane looks the most likely. Has had time in the system now, has the physical tools he needs and has hopefully come back refreshed and ready after starring in a game for Cork back home. And he's still only 20 years old.

Not sure the hub or his wife’s illnesses helped his form this season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he bounces back strongly in 2021.
I wouldnt put any stock into 2020. It provided its challenges. Plenty players have a struggle season. Even high profile players. I'd back him in, as the club would.
Has gone the clean shaven look this pre-season with a new haircut.

I wouldnt put any stock into 2020. It provided its challenges. Plenty players have a struggle season. Even high profile players. I'd back him in, as the club would.
Has gone the clean shaven look this pre-season with a new haircut.
At first I thought next year will be a disaster but the more I look at it the more I think that we won't be as bad as I first thought. If we can stay injury free we could have a very exciting season next year. The injection of youth and speedy type players and an attacking game plan could really liven up the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back