List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a fringe player you took in the 50’s 2 years ago who’s played a handful of games. He’s got great potential, but you’d be hard pressed to get an early second for him.

Did you see what we paid for Cameron, Murray?

Pies met with Nick Gieschen prior to lockdown about Patty Lipinski. Get a game now, but who knows again when Dunkley/Treloar comes back in.'

straight swap for Mason Cox and some spare change?
Funny I thought just a straight swap

Why? I mean happy days for us, but sell Cox to GWS for me? Flynn and Briggs look the goods and they have Preuss in reserve.

This Cox as trade bait one is a bit strange to me the only clubs I can see with a definite interest is the Dogs. Clubs with a passing interest might be North as a stop gap for Goldstein, Fremantle if Darcy is poached and maybe St Kilda if there’s long term fears over Marshall.

Why? I mean happy days for us, but sell Cox to GWS for me?
Over thinking it mate.
Riccardi goes to them and says I want out and want to go to the Pies.
GWS ring Dekka/Selwood/Wrighty and let us know.
We say great, Mason just told us he wants to go you guys.
What an amazing coincidence ;)

Over thinking it mate.
Riccardi goes to them and says I want out and want to go to the Pies.
GWS ring Dekka/Selwood/Wrighty and let us know.
We say great, Mason just told us he wants to go you guys.
What an amazing coincidence ;)

McCartney responds with a chuckle and hangs up the phone.

Why? I mean happy days for us, but sell Cox to GWS for me? Flynn and Briggs look the goods and they have Preuss in reserve.

This Cox as trade bait one is a bit strange to me the only clubs I can see with a definite interest is the Dogs. Clubs with a passing interest might be North as a stop gap for Goldstein, Fremantle if Darcy is poached and maybe St Kilda if there’s long term fears over Marshall.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with assuming GWS aren’t equally in need of a short term ruck option, especially one who can kick goals.

I don’t think he’s really one that you’ll get good return for unless he’s contracted? Personally I think it’ll wind up a Hately type situation.
Hately got traded for nothing because we had other deals going on. That’s not happening this year. If he was traded for a pick, what pick do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Kelly as a forward reminds me way too much of Tim O’Brien. Have to grow him a s a defender imo, and I’m not even convinced he’s a key defender; wouldn’t mind seeing him developed in a Langdon-like third or fourth tall role.

Hayden McLean was dropped by Sydney and has proper potential as a full forward. I’d have a good go at him; I reckon he’s better than Riccardi.

Yep, he's average at best. I hope we don't go after him.

Weideman looks like your typical case of a young player whose confidence is shot after he (perhaps reasonably) thought this year would might his chance only for Melbourne to recruit another (probably washed up) FF in front of him, on top of Tom Tom and Jackson/Gawn playing more up forward. Kinda like what we did to Sier after his good run of games in 2018 by recruiting a washed up Beams on decent money for 4 years that off season.

I'd still have a look at him, but it would be a low contract number (maybe 1 - 1.1 mil over three years at most with some pretty solid performance triggers) and we wouldn't be sending much back Melbourne's way in trade, given that he's basically kicked 50 goals in his first 50 games.

Cameron is a ruck forward only, Mihocek late 20s and not really a full forward to begin with

... McMahon, Johnson, very speculative

Lipinski, Ed Richards would be nice but if we are bringing in players then we need to target a developing full forward

But with what currency? This years picks needed for Daicos and Dib

So we’re looking at getting at getting an unproven uncontracted types at clubs that are well stocked for KPPs like Weiderman, Riccardi, Jeka, Brander, McLean

Everyone here will call them duds cause they haven’t kicked 50 goals in a season. But we’ll only get what we can afford

I’d be surprised if Jake Riccardi didn’t up at the Pies next year. Can’t get a start in his fav position at our club. Has been really solid when he has had a chance. Hard to break in with Himmelberg, Finlayson and Hogan there. Has a great tank. Good overhead and a solid set shot.
Seems a perfect fit for you guys.
What do you (realistically) think he’s worth in a trade? I was thinking early second.

Early second? Keep dreaming - he's clearly not required at your club and OOC so he can walk to a number of clubs that would play him in his preferred role up forward via the PSD or SSP if he wants to. You'd be lucky to get a mid-to-late 3rd round pick for him based on that and, considering his output up forward so far, you'd be doing pretty well because he really hasn't done much of note since his first couple of games.

Did you see what we paid for Cameron, Murray?

For Cameron it was Pick 56 and Sydney threw in Pick 62 as steak knives.

The Murray trade was stupid (thanks Eddie) but the overall net trade value for Murray was also in mid-third round pick territory.

Not sure what point you're trying to make there by quoting either one, given that they were both mid-to-late third round values at best in terms of trade cost for us.

Last edited:
Cameron is a ruck forward only, Mihocek late 20s and not really a full forward to begin with

... McMahon, Johnson, very speculative

Lipinski, Ed Richards would be nice but if we are bringing in players then we need to target a developing full forward

But with what currency? This years picks needed for Daicos and Dib

So we’re looking at getting at getting an unproven uncontracted types at clubs that are well stocked for KPPs like Weiderman, Riccardi, Jeka, Brander, McLean

Everyone here will call them duds cause they haven’t kicked 50 goals in a season. But we’ll only get what we can afford

We're definitely in a position where we need to moneyball our way to a few decent recruits especially up forward. None of them have to set the world on fire, but if we can find a couple of talls who can deliver us 25-35 goals a year and bring the ball to ground consistently when they don't mark it outright so that whatever crumbers we have can get to work then we'd be in a much better position than we are now.

We don't have a superstar forward and aren't likely to get our hands on one in the sort to medium term, so we'll have to go for a more balanced attacking group up forward instead.

Last edited:
I can estimate where the cuts can come from but anyone else hearing the left over pain from last year (other than Treloar), is another 800k cut off the books this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back