List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you offload Greenwood, Mayne, Cox, Tohill and likely to be Thomas, Madgen (please god), Lynch and Sier you'd like to think even with existing player contract wage increases, there would be cap space for more than Lipinski.
I doubt Madgen goes, solid season and improving, good depth option. Lynch only goes by his own request. Thomas should get another year, still in our best 22, kids need to go past him. Cox and Sier more likely gone but 1 may stay. I don’t think there will be as many free spots as you think

Wright kicked 29 goals, score assists and provided directionality to a team.
We lost games because we couldn’t kick a score to save ourselves.

Wright is just more valuable to winning a game than Maynard/Adams is. Especially to our team.

Geelong out all teams still haven’t realized this. It’s too late now but their forward line altogether for years wasn’t that threatening.

Best players positional wise
and paced Scoreboard pressure

Is the name of the game.

Adams/Maynard aren’t either of that.

Wright is an example of a KPF that we need. We don’t need Adams and Maynard imo. One is enough

I rate Maynard and Adams higher than any of the players you have mentioned to bring in. Maynard and Adams are keepers unless you get an offer to good to refuse and and can add a King or similar high end talent. Wright is just more of the same up forward.

‘Based on what options we have I would be looking for an elite tall next year at best, not this year.

Have fun watching an eyesore of a team in the forward line then. But yes having wonky disposers that don’t kick goals will solve it... sure.
I think your suggestion of Peter Wright for someone like a Maynard was questionable.
He had 1 outlier game kicking 7 goals against a Doggies team with their best key defender out. He kicked 0 goals in almost half the games in the season.
He had the luxury of playing playing in an attacking finals team who moved the ball quickly. He struggled his whole career.

You rightly question our disposal and want to move on some of our more important, mature players which suggests the rebuild will take longer. So how will a Peter Wright get the ball delivered to him? We have an oversized giant forward playing in the VFL who also averages just over a goal a game. And that’s in a forward line receiving ordinary supply. In fact is Peter Wright any better than Cameron? Probably not. And I suspect Cameron is about $200k pa cheaper. Add to that he played 3 games less and had 40 contested marks v 33.

Last edited:
Wright kicked 29 goals, score assists and provided directionality to a team.
We lost games because we couldn’t kick a score to save ourselves.

Wright is just more valuable to winning a game than Maynard/Adams is. Especially to our team.

Geelong out all teams still haven’t realized this. It’s too late now but their forward line altogether for years wasn’t that threatening.

Best players positional wise
and paced Scoreboard pressure

Is the name of the game.

Adams/Maynard aren’t either of that.

Wright is an example of a KPF that we need. We don’t need Adams and Maynard imo. One is enough

Geelong wasn’t competitive because they got smashed at the coalface. Their forwardline was not the issue.

McRae wants to be harder at the contest and you are advocating getting rid of our two hardest players. You add to these two, not trade them.

Last edited:
I doubt Madgen goes, solid season and improving, good depth option. Lynch only goes by his own request. Thomas should get another year, still in our best 22, kids need to go past him. Cox and Sier more likely gone but 1 may stay. I don’t think there will be as many free spots as you think

Madgen stays
Lynch we need to keep

Thomas isnt best 22 and kids have already past him

We cant afford to lose both cox and lynch this trade period , if lynch requests trade we keep cox

Why would we want to turn another forward into a back? We already do that far too much. No persistence at this club for young forwards. Hopefully fly changes this.
Probably because he's not a good forward and our key back stocks are thin after Moore and Roughy.

Geelong wasn’t competitive because they got smashed at the coalface. Their forwardline was not the issue.

McRae wants to be harder at the contest and you are advocating getting rid of our two hardest players. You add to these two, not trade them.

I think this is right. We want to be winning the contest so those two aren’t going anywhere.

That said, I don’t think Adams is now the lock as next captain like he may have been under Buckley.

I reckon McRae might try and steer the group towards Moore as our next captain but maybe I’m just thinking that as it’s what I would do!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeff Teague won a BNF.

I’m more interested in acquiring elite positional players and a stop gap at KF atm.

Adams and Maynard is the same vanilla.

Speed kills nowadays, and they don’t have the ball disposal skills to compensate for that. They are good players.

Buy low, sell high.

Weight it up, the timeline etc etc.

I’d happily trade Adams for a 20th pick everyday of the week if someone offered that.

Or even better for an upgrade at a position of need.

Got to replenish our potential and this is the best way to do it outside of FA (which we overpay middling players Mayne anyone?), trading for better positional players or our own picks via draft.

We should be eyeing off Narkle and Riccardi quicksmart. Lipsinki is on the backburner.

So get rid of Adams, who is a hard in and under player, a player who puts his body on the line, can win his own footy, and a player who can lift particularly the younger guys around him with his efforts, and put Narkle into the midfield, who has endurance and defensive flaws, hence why he can't get a regular game at Geelong.
Narkle is a decent player, but he comes with flaws, and you don't get rid of players, for the sake of bringing in players who are at best currently average players.
Riccardi hasn't even been able to get a game with GWS, even when they were riddled with injuries. So again alot of flaws in his game, otherwise he would be a regular or at best played alot more footy this year.
Lipinski, unfortunately is at a club that has the best midfield in the competition by the length of the flemington straight. If he was at another club, he would be playing every week, bar injuries.
Maynard, vanilla? What Maynard have you been watching play? You don't give away players like Maynard who is just coming into his prime, and l wouldn't be surprised to even see him as an AA next year.
After last years trading, through necessity because of the cap restraints, we won't be trading out talent like Maynard, Adams or Quaynor. Players who could be on the table are obviously Cox, Sier and Lynch, along with Thomas, WHE, and l still think Sidebottom is a 50/50, eventhough players like Sidey you might be hesitant to trade out, as he could still produce a big season or two, like Boak has for Port Adelaide over the past couple of seasons, at the ages of 32 and 33.
You also do realise we had 9 debutants this season, so we will get natural improvement from all those guys next year, minus Tohill, plus we haven't seen McInnes and Johnson as yet.

So get rid of Adams, who is a hard in and under player, a player who puts his body on the line, can win his own footy, and a player who can lift particularly the younger guys around him with his efforts, and put Narkle into the midfield, who has endurance and defensive flaws, hence why he can't get a regular game at Geelong.
Narkle is a decent player, but he comes with flaws, and you don't get rid of players, for the sake of bringing in players who are at best currently average players.
Riccardi hasn't even been able to get a game with GWS, even when they were riddled with injuries. So again alot of flaws in his game, otherwise he would be a regular or at best played alot more footy this year.
Lipinski, unfortunately is at a club that has the best midfield in the competition by the length of the flemington straight. If he was at another club, he would be playing every week, bar injuries.
Maynard, vanilla? What Maynard have you been watching play? You don't give away players like Maynard who is just coming into his prime, and l wouldn't be surprised to even see him as an AA next year.
After last years trading, through necessity because of the cap restraints, we won't be trading out talent like Maynard, Adams or Quaynor. Players who could be on the table are obviously Cox, Sier and Lynch, along with Thomas, WHE, and l still think Sidebottom is a 50/50, eventhough players like Sidey you might be hesitant to trade out, as he could still produce a big season or two, like Boak has for Port Adelaide over the past couple of seasons, at the ages of 32 and 33.
You also do realise we had 9 debutants this season, so we will get natural improvement from all those guys next year, minus Tohill, plus we haven't seen McInnes and Johnson as yet.
We have made some hard decisions and some of them we haven't handled well at all, but we have finally put a process in place and have put our faith in that.

I agree now is not the time for hysterical thrashing about looking for quick fixes.

We need to build thoroughly from the very foundations up in a methodical and sustainable way.

This has been the process that the very best teams have implemented which has led to sustained success.

Ben Brown and Josh Schache were both gettable. RIP.

Nobody was gettable last year. We had so little cap room we had to get rid of a dozen highly paid players, subsidising a few of them .... and replace them all with pimply 18 year olds.

Brown would have been awesome but the club couldn’t afford him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People here are thinking medieval when it comes to gamestyle. Less emotional attachment and purpose of solving problems should be priority number one.

Forward line is the biggest issue to address. Stop gap KPF and groom a highly touted pick in the draft as a tall. There isn’t one at our pick? Cool wait not overdraft a player at your highest pick always go BPA.

Now we can look towards kicking an actual AFL score. Other lines are fine.

These aren’t bad players at all just not as impactful as the stats would suggest so.

We have deliverers by foot namely Degoey/Pendles so add to that class aspect.

Try Sidebottom more or less in his early year role as a half forward flanker same with Diacos. Along with Elliot that’s a solid small brigade, Mihocek and WHE (though a bit disappointing this year along with Sidey) a KPF to kick 30 or 30+ now we are a borderline finals team if health permits while also rebuilding. Win/Win in my eyes.

Also why wouldn’t you want Ben Brown or Schache as our KPF? I think some here confuse ability with what the name is.

There’s also Curnow btw. There’s options out there to remedy the problem and unless it’s solved it’s going to be a consistent struggle to compete point for point.

No team should be scared of a regular 50-80 point team at all.

Let me get this straight, the key to our rebuild is to trade out good young Talent like Maynard/IQ and bring in speculative young players such as Lipinski, Riccardi and Narkle?

Fantastic. Premiership incoming LFG

Absolutely laughable isn't it?

Yeah let’s get rid of Adams and Maynard because they play the same position and we only need one of them.... even though they don’t play the same position. We don’t even know if Maynard can play midfield or if he will get the opportunity. And this is all A year after getting rid of two midfielders.

And then get an overpriced key forward. Makes sense. Our forward line struggled enough in the past with poor delivery. Why would we make it weaker?

Geelong has shown what happens if you ignore your midfield for too long.

I’m not high on suspect ball carriers with relative low maxs i’m more higher on min/max players.
Max meaning their threshold of impact is just higher in the end on a game basis.

Boak is more contested and clearance heavy than Sidey even as a one eyed fan would admit that. His game is ageing very well.

The Adams/Maynard I didn’t advocate to trade them just saying which particular player would be more-beneficial to this team’s perspective.

Problem number one

We don’t kick scores

Maynard/Adams don’t effect the scoreboard. Sub standard attacking pressure with so so ball disposal skills.

You know whose at a low point right now? Walters.

That’s another player I’d be eyeing off too.

Buy low sell high within context.

People here are thinking medieval when it comes to gamestyle. Less emotional attachment and purpose of solving problems should be priority number one.

Forward line is the biggest issue to address. Stop gap KPF and groom a highly touted pick in the draft as a tall. There isn’t one at our pick? Cool wait not overdraft a player at your highest pick always go BPA.

Now we can look towards kicking an actual AFL score. Other lines are fine.

These aren’t bad players at all just not as impactful as the stats would suggest so.

We have deliverers by foot namely Degoey/Pendles so add to that class aspect.

Try Sidebottom more or less in his early year role as a half forward flanker same with Diacos. Along with Elliot that’s a solid small brigade, Mihocek and WHE (though a bit disappointing this year along with Sidey) a KPF to kick 30 or 30+ now we are a borderline finals team if health permits while also rebuilding. Win/Win in my eyes.

Also why wouldn’t you want Ben Brown or Schache as our KPF? I think some here confuse ability with what the name is.

There’s also Curnow btw. There’s options out there to remedy the problem and unless it’s solved it’s going to be a consistent struggle to compete point for point.

No team should be scared of a regular 50-80 point team at all.
You are missing a very big point. You are suggesting we move on heart and soul players? At a time when the new coach will need on field leadership. The players are already reeling from the loss of Treloar, Phillips and to a lesser extent Stevenson. Our backline is fine. We have budding talent in Henry, Ash Johnson, MccCreery to develop in the forward line. Plus how much of the forward lline woes relate to a poor game plan. Totally disagree with your tradeable choices.

I’m not high on suspect ball carriers with relative low maxs i’m more higher on min/max players.
Max meaning their threshold of impact is just higher in the end on a game basis.

Boak is more contested and clearance heavy than Sidey even as a one eyed fan would admit that. His game is ageing very well.

The Adams/Maynard I didn’t advocate to trade them just saying which particular player would be more-beneficial to this team’s perspective.

Problem number one

We don’t kick scores

Maynard/Adams don’t effect the scoreboard. Sub standard attacking pressure with so so ball disposal skills.

Except for all those goals Maynard prevents...

Problem number one

We don’t kick scores

I know you aren’t talking about freo’s Walters, nobody would be looking at a injury prone over 30 year old for a rebuilding team 😂

If we're talking about scoring, its as much as game plan/ball movement as it is about a KPF.

Look at last nights prelim. 7 of Dogs goals came from a winger (Smith) and a medium forward (Hannan)

In the dees game, 8 of their goals came from a ruckman and a small forward.

You are missing a very big point. You are suggesting we move on heart and soul players? At a time when the new coach will need on field leadership. The players are already reeling from the loss of Treloar, Phillips and to a lesser extent Stevenson. Our backline is fine. We have budding talent in Henry, Ash Johnson, MccCreery to develop in the forward line. Plus how much of the forward lline woes relate to a poor game plan. Totally disagree with your tradeable choices.

Which forward outside of Elliott bring elite scoreboard pressure constantly? Once the ball hits the deck Mihocek is sub average. Need goalkickers to kick goals.

I mean not since WCE Cox days and even they had scoring talent there in the mids.

Pendles is the heart and soul not Adams or Maynard. It’s weird soon as I suggest those two it’s an up in arms affair lol.

I agree though our backline is what keeps us in games.

I mean I don’t see anything wrong with a stop gap KPF capable of kicking 30 or more.

It’s what we need the most.

If we're talking about scoring, its as much as game plan/ball movement as it is about a KPF.

Look at last nights prelim. 7 of Dogs goals came from a winger (Smith) and a medium forward (Hannan)
Agreed forwards are mostly at the mercy of their upfield team mates and the game plan.

We saw the improvement in the latter half of the season when players were instructed to be creative an go for options that put pressure on the opposition rather than their team mates.

To be sure it simply wasn't good enough but that comes down to too many players without good disposal skills, we have too many with just passable disposal skills. Certainly not every player needs to be a daicos or didak but we have too many with passable skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back